What kind of car do you drive?

DSC_1078

When we first found out we were pregnant with Jack, I remember having the realization that I would need to get a different car. While I loved my MINI Cooper so, so much, it was, well, a MINI Cooper, and I knew it just wasn’t going to fit the bill as our family car. Thus, we begin an epic search for an SUV.

Our number one concern? Whether or not my husband could fit in the car. That sounds nuts to most of you, I’m sure, but at 6’9” that’s a very real concern! Even though I’d be the one driving the car most of the time, we agreed we didn’t feel comfortable getting a new car that he wouldn’t be able to drive also, especially because we knew an SUV would be more ideal for road trips than his sedan. So, the search began…

DSC_1094DSC_1042DSC_1086

Let me tell you, I think we sat in every single make and model of SUV on the market in San Diego. Or at least 90% of them. We went everywhere and each time the salesperson felt terrible that they couldn’t help us out since you can’t really sell someone a vehicle they can’t physically drive. I’ll spare you the details and get to the point: we eventually got over to Mossy Nissan in Oceanside and the stars aligned. We sat in a Murano and Brian actually fit in the driver seat! Bonus: It was safe, reliable and within our budget. Double bonus: I actually liked the car.

I still remember the guy who helped us out—Robert—because he was just so nice and helpful. He obviously picked up on the fact that we had been searching for a while with no luck, and I think he took pity on my tired, pregnant self. Bless him! When we did our initial visit to the dealership he showed us several of their cars and helped us discover the Murano, which I honestly didn’t even know existed until that day. Although we did like the Pathfinder and Rogue models, the Pathfinder felt a little big for me and the Rogue was a bit too small—the Murano felt like our Goldilocks car. We ended up buying a Certified Pre-Owned Platinum model. Once we decided to move forward, the buying experience was a total breeze. Which is especially refreshing when you are 1) worn out, 2) pregnant and 3) really in need of a new car to fit your future child in.

DSC_1033 DSC_1043DSC_1054 DSC_1076 DSC_1020 DSC_1019 DSC_1035

Some of my favorite features about the car? It’s hard to narrow it down, but here are four…

• Backup camera—I appreciate this in parking lots, and especially in my neighborhood when I’m always around little ones.
  • Bluetooth handsfree phone connection—I honestly make all of my calls from the car now!
  • Plenty of trunk storage space—it’s easy to fit our stroller, diaper bag, groceries, etc. in the back.
  • Keyless entry—as long as my keys are in my pocket or my purse, I can lock and unlock the car—as well as automatically open and close the trunk—with the push of a button.

All in all, now that we’ve had it for almost two years, it’s proven to be the perfect family car for us. I love driving it around town and it’s a great car to take on our road trips to visit my parents. And thankfully whenever it comes time to have another baby this car will still fit our needs.

What kind of car do you drive? When did you decide to upgrade to a “family car”?

(Thank you, Mossy Nissan, for sponsoring this post!)

Jen
    March 30, 2016 at 7:19 am

We have a Volvo XC60 and absolutely love it. We decided to upgrade to a sensible family car when I became pregnant with twins (Who are already 22 months. I can’t believe it!) My husband drives a little Fiat back-and-forth to work to save on gas. If we have more children, we will definitely have to upgrade to something larger!

Mel
    March 30, 2016 at 7:44 am

I’ve always liked the way the murano looks, I just had my second child and I’m still driving my Mini Countryman ha! It’s a little tight :)

April
    March 30, 2016 at 11:43 am

It was a sad day when I realized how hard it was to squeeze an infant seat in a Jeep Wrangler. We have a 4 runner now, which is perfect for us. Also, a little sad when we realized a Bumbleride Indie Twin stroller will not fit in the trunk of a Sonata.

Cheryl
    March 30, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I’m totally stealing your basket of stuff for kiddo on the floor idea! Super clever!! I still drive my corolla but it fits NOTHING in the trunk besides the stroller :( Hubby has a Rave which we love. One day we’ll upgrade mine! one day! lol

March 30, 2016 at 1:16 pm

The basket on the floor was Brian’s idea! And it seriously is a lifesaver.

Joanna
    March 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm

In all the time I’ve been reading your blog, I had NO idea how tall Brian is. I mostly see you guys in pictures together and I just assumed you were super petite :) Wow! My misunderstanding is so silly and funny to me. Oh, assumptions :)

March 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Haha, yes, he is SO TALL! I’m 5’4″, so I’m average height, but I always look so teeny next to him, haha.

Paige
    March 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I drive a Volvo XC90. We bought the car when we thought we were going to be a family of 5 and it was perfect. Then, surprise baby #4 came along (and was born one week after the Volvo was paid off). It’s a tight fit now and I always have to have the 3rd row seat up, so cargo space is limited, but I can’t bring myself to buy a new car – I love not having payments! Luckily, my husband has a Yukon XL and we take his car most of the time :)

colleen wilshire
    March 30, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I have a nissan rogue and it fits me and my english mastiff perfectly. love the nissan cars! good choice :)

Elizabeth
    March 31, 2016 at 4:34 am

Subaru Outback. Not the cutest of cars but has the highest safety rating and not to mention, some of the cutest commercials!

March 31, 2016 at 8:47 am

I’ve heard great things about Subarus! And yes, BEST commercials!!

Kari
    April 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

This was my first car, and I loved it! Now I have a VW Tiguan, but I’ll always think fondly of my Murano!