Do you remember where you were on 9/11 when the towers fell? It’s one of those days that nobody can really forget. Living in California, I was still asleep and I remember my mom waking me up early to tell me something really bad had happened and that I should come downstairs and watch the news with her.
Today also marks one year from my due date—which I lied to everyone about (I said it was the 12th!) because it was such a sad day to be so happy about. I’m filled with all kinds of mixed emotions today, both thinking about that awful day in New York 14 years ago and also thinking about the hope and expectation I felt a year ago when I knew I’d be meeting my baby boy in just a matter of days.
My heart aches sometimes thinking about all of the evil there is in the world, especially as a mother. But there is also so much good. So much love and kindness and beauty all around us. Let’s not only remember those whose lives were lost 14 years ago, but also be thankful for first responders and all of the men and women who selflessly sacrifice their lives every day so we can be free and safe.
On a lighter and more positive note, it’s Friday ;) What are your plans for the weekend? Here are 10 of my favorite links this week…
1. Conversation topics—for dates or otherwise! (CUP OF JO)
2. A trick for eating more veggies. (Darling Magazine)
3. Made me laugh. (Mommy Shorts)
4. How to decode laundry labels. (Popsugar)
5. A cute sweater for fall. (Banana Republic)
6. Tips for decluttering your space. (Oh Joy!)
7. Top 12 succulents for home gardens. (Sunset)
8. How to pull off a bright lip. (Camille Styles)
9. Hilarious lip sync battle. (YouTube)
10. Detox for fall? (Well and Good)