11 In beauty/ style

Do or Don’t: Lash Extensions

Last night I had the privilege of attending a rad media event for the Blink Lash Boutique location opening in Solana Beach—and the biggest perk of all was complimentary lash extensions (shown in both photos above)!! I’ve been so curious about them as tons of my mom friends swear by them, so I wanted to do a quick post on the pros and cons of lash extensions for those curious, and then get some input from you guys on your thoughts on whether or not you’ve ever try (or have ever tried) them.

PROS

• You wake up looking awesome // Aside from maybe brushing a clean lash brush through your extensions, you literally have to do nothing. Yesterday, I actually left the house without doing a single thing to my face and it was amazing.
  • Saves you tons of time // Sort of similar to what I mentioned above, having lash extensions means you don’t need to waste time doing your makeup in the morning if you’re okay with a more natural look, and (my favorite) you don’t need to waste precious evening time removing mascara.
  • You can’t feel them // This might not be true for all lash extensions, but the ones that Blink did for me literally feel no different than my normal, mascara-free eyelashes. I was so worried my lashes would feel heavy but that’s not the case. I feel like I have bare lashes, but look like I have mascara on (or naturally AMAZING lashes).

CONS

• It’s not cheap // These are definitely way more expensive than just putting on mascara in the morning! Like, over $100 for the initial set and then $50+ for fills.
  • You need time to spare for regular appointments // Getting the lashes put on took about an hour. I trust that touch ups take less time, but it’s still a factor. And if you’re a mom, you’ll need to factor in who can watch your kid(s) when every few weeks to a month when you get your touch up done.
  • You have to be cautious // The oils on your fingers break down the adhesive, as does excessive water or sweat. That doesn’t mean you can never touch your eyes or exercise, and obviously you have to shower! But you do need to be careful to make sure the lashes last as long as possible.

Overall, I don’t know that I’m sold on doing this regularly strictly because of the cost, which is steep for me. (So you better believe I’m going to savor every day these babies are on my eyes!) But, I would consider it for a big vacation in the future if I wanted to feel put together but not have to put any effort into it. And though my wedding ship has sailed, if I could go back in time I would totally have done this for my wedding day and honeymoon!

What do you think? Would you ever try lash extensions? Why or why not?

Victoria B
    September 3, 2015 at 7:23 am

I don’t think I would try it, mostly to the cost and being worried it would damage my lashes. I am very low maintenance when it comes to all beauty stuff. I do like the look though!

Sarah
    September 3, 2015 at 8:36 am

I don’t think I’d try them either, simply because of the cost. I agree with Victoria; I’m way more low maintenance than making an eyelash extension appointment. However! They are beautiful, and I agree, for a special occasion, would be perfect.

September 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

Yes, the whole need to get fill-ins every few weeks doesn’t really work for me either. Too much!!

AshleyL
    September 3, 2015 at 11:02 am

If it was cheaper I would totally do this! I can’t justify the cost though. They do look great though.

September 3, 2015 at 11:24 am

Same!! The cost is what kills me. I otherwise think I’d be sold on it.

Morgan
    September 3, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I have never done extensions before but I actually did a lash tint earlier this summer since my eyelashes are blonder on the ends. It actually isn’t too terribly expensive (around $25) and it certainly helps with make-up in the morning. Definitely a must as a new mom!

Sarah Beth
    September 3, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I love the idea of not having to wear mascara all the time but don’t think I could justify extensions (time and money). Have you ever tried a product like revitalash that’s supposed to help grow longer lashes? I’m curious about that kind of product but haven’t tried it.

September 4, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I haven’t—I’m afraid it’s going to damage my eyes! But I’ve always been curious about those type of lash products.

Elaine
    September 4, 2015 at 5:45 am

Thank you for sharing your experience! I’m due with baby #2 in January, and after seeing so many friends get them, I am convinced getting my lashes done before having the baby is a genius idea :) anything to make me feel better in that achy, leaking, tired, not-feeling-pretty-at-all phase. Do you know the rules for wearing makeup with them? Is eyeliner too tough to remove/damaging to the lashes?

September 4, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Oh yes, this would be a great thing to do right before you have your baby so you feel less blegh when you are low on sleep. I personally am not wearing any eye makeup with mine while they’re on because I want them to last as long as possible, but whichever salon you get yours done at can give you an approved list of the type of products and makeup remover you can use to minimize compromising the adhesive.

Morgan
    October 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm

I live by my lash extensions. I get them done every two weeks and pay $50. It’s so worth it to me, and what beats waking up looking beautiful? I have a nurse that does mine, so she’s very careful not to put a last on a baby new born. I’ve had them for 2 years now and mine haven’t thinned out. I take biotin just in case. I swear by these guys. DO IT!