The Power of a Walk

Processed with VSCOcam with hb2 preset

It should come as no surprise to myself or anyone else based on the book I’m reading this month that I am struggling to find time to just plain live my life. Between family, work and friendships, I feel stretched to say the least. And I’m tired. I can definitely fake it all day long, but at the end of the day I can’t wait for my head to hit the pillow…and I never really feel refreshed when the 6am “baby alarm” that is my child wakes us up for the day.

This morning I was especially exhausted thanks to a night out with my mama friends. I in no way am complaining about that—it was SO FUN! But, alas, my eyelids feel heavy for sure.

Though I try to go for a run most mornings, sometimes it’s more important to take care of the inner self than the outer self—and that’s where I tap into the power of a walk. On days like this when I’m just this close to throwing in the towel, deciding I’m crazy to do this stay-at-home, work-at-home thing, I choose to give myself grace to skip the run and instead pour myself a big mug of caffeinated coffee (unlike my daily decaf) and just go for a stroll.

I’m blessed to have a child who doesn’t hate the stroller, and that means that walks can actually serve to refresh and recharge me when I’m sort of at a loss for what to do next. It’s amazing what a little caffeine, fresh air and movement can do for the mind and soul, isn’t it?

So, today I leave you with these simple words and a question (because I really am curious): What simple thing recharges and refreshes you when you’re feeling loopy, overwhelmed and out of sorts?

Angela
    August 6, 2015 at 9:34 am

As someone who runs a business from home with a 10 month old, I can relate! Balance doesn’t exist right now – and that’s ok for this stage in my life. I’ve learned to make peace with the parts of my life that feel chaotic. I know it’s not forever (or maybe it is, haha!) I love to run with the jogger most mornings, and then I try to get out with her for a good long walk late afternoon/early evening. No matter how I’m feeling before I leave, I always return energized. I also make a point to get out of the house and be around people, even if it’s only for a short amount of time. It’s really uplifting! Lately I haven’t been as good about this though as my 2nd book manuscript is due in October…I’m looking forward to a more relaxed fall season!

ali grace | cookies and grace
    August 6, 2015 at 10:45 am

Oh I love this so much. Sometimes it’s so good to just allow yourself to slow down and refresh.
    I really love having some alone time when I’m tired and overwhelmed. Whether it’s going to a coffee shop with my laptop and catching up on blogs I love (like yours!), or staying home with a glass of wine and reading a book or watching a show. Sometimes I pray, or write in my journal – but that little time away from “normal life” really refreshes me. I don’t have any kids so I don’t know if all of this will still be possible when I’m a mama, but I’m thankful for those times now.

Urban Wife
    August 6, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Definitely can relate to this post in so many ways! I’m a fan of taking a cool shower (even in the middle of the day, during naptime!) and always feel loads better/refreshed afterwards. It’s the one time I can be alone and often I find that my mind sort of “turns” off.

Carissa
    August 6, 2015 at 12:22 pm

This is a great reminder and encouragement. Thanks for sharing openly!

Katie Marchetti
    August 7, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Never underestimate the power of a walk. Theres a park around the corner from my office, and every month when deadline week rolls around for the magazine, being able to step outside for ten minutes and lap the park keeps me sane.

It’s a nostalgia thing as well; while growing up on a ranch ,on nice nights my family always ended up walking down our two mile gravel road with the dogs after dinner. It was such a great way to wind down from a busy day, it’s something I always look forward to when I go home to visit as well.

Walks are less about striving and more about being, something I always need to remember.

Alys | A Girl Who Reads
    August 8, 2015 at 5:10 am

I work in an office and when it all gets a bit much I walk to the furthest coffee shop and get a peppermint tea! The walk/air/calming tea/friendly chat help to get me through to the end of the day

Emily
    August 12, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Totally understand! My son was born on a Friday and I was on a conference call on Monday – I work from home for a very small firm, so there is no such thing as maternity leave. Not really.;-)

Walks ALWAYS help. And I take my coffee caffeinated. I’d rather deal with an awake baby than try to survive without caffeine (although it never seemed to affect my little guy). I’m slowly realizing that when I am most stressed, it’s normally because I am trying to do too many things at one time (literally, in the same minute). So I try to stop and focus on just one thing (like playing with my baby or finishing one work to-do. Or making the bed). Working methodically and not trying to multitask always leaves me so much calmer, even if it means things weren’t done exactly when I thought they would be.