Minimalism // Month 1

slippers

As this month is winding down, I’m reflecting on my word for the year—minimalism—and how it’s applied so far. This month, it’s been especially noticeable in two areas: my closet and my social calendar.

In January, minimalism has meant paring down my wardrobe in order to make getting dressed even easier (more on that later), as well as my social calendar in order to focus on home life…namely, to protect Jack’s need for consistent, predictable naps.

While the wardrobe piece of things was really fun for me, the social stuff is harder to let go of. I’ve definitely missed out of some fun activities this month, but I know in the long run that I’ve made the right choice. That this isn’t forever. And that I’d rather be at home (or wandering around the neighborhood) with a happy, well-rested baby than be dragging a fussy, overtired one all over town.

If you recall from my last post on this topic, this is the definition of minimalism I’m working with this year: Minimalism is a tool used to rid yourself of life’s excess in favor of focusing on what’s important so you can find happiness, fulfillment, and freedom.

I’d say so far things are going well and I’m feeling free to have more focus on what’s important right now: taking care of Jack. And in time (hopefully very little time!), the social events will be back on the calendar because they are definitely part of the big picture of happiness and fulfillment.

Did you pick a word for the year? How have you applied it to your life so far?

Laura W
    January 28, 2015 at 8:11 am

I picked generosity as my word for this year. I’m focusing on more consistent donations to charities and giving to friends and family. It has gone well so far but I’m hoping to pick it more with each passing month.

January 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Love that!!

laura
        January 29, 2015 at 5:10 am

This year my word is “service”. In January I made a commitment to volunteer once a week and so far so good. I like Laura W’s point about applying generosity to friends and family too though. Great point.

Victoria B
    January 28, 2015 at 11:04 am

I chose a similar word to yours…Simplify. It’s going pretty well so far. I am focusing on choosing one or two events each week/weekend instead of trying to cram so much into each one that I end up rushing around everywhere. I have simplified my morning beauty routine this month and am throwing out all expired medicines/lotions/etc. And next month I am tackling some organizing in my guest room/office/mess of a third bedroom, haha!

January 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Oh yes, our words are so similar! I just tossed a bunch of old stuff from under my bathroom sink and it felt SO GOOD to clear it out. Organizing and tossing unnecessary things is so good for the soul :)

AshleyL
        January 28, 2015 at 2:30 pm

That’s one of my favorite things to do. It always feel so nice to clean things out.

Renee
    January 28, 2015 at 3:46 pm

“Simplicity” is my word. I’m cleaning out my closet, eating less of the processed stuff, and not overcommitting myself by taking on too many extra obligations.

Margarett
    January 28, 2015 at 3:54 pm

My word this year is focus. I want to eliminate distractions in order to simplify my life to focus on a few, key important goals I’ve identified for the year.
    p.s. I love your blog and your authenticity Natalie! Jack is precious, and I hope you have a blessed year!

Stephanie
    January 28, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Mine is also simplicity (do we sense a theme here?) I’ve felt overwhelmed in many areas of my life, although much of it is of my own doing: over-committing, not prioritizing, too much time on electronic devices or just dealing with all of my stuff. This was weighing on me, but, you know, seek and ye shall find. I’ve found so many great resources (blogs, books, etc.) on this topic. I’d love to see more posts on this, so that you and your readers can share resources, tips, and experiences.

Alicia
    January 29, 2015 at 4:51 am

I love minimalism + simplifying life. I’ve been in major closet clean-out mode this month too, and it is.so.liberating! Keeping around only what you really need + use just makes life so much easier, I find. Quality over quantity, every time!

Claire
    January 30, 2015 at 6:52 am

YES! I love that your going on a minimalist journey this year; I am as well and it’s been a breath of fresh air. I’m mainly focusing on my diet (out with the chemicals!) and my closet. Can’t wait to read more!

Lauren
    February 3, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I really love your word for the year! I have a phrase it’s, “Make it Happen”. This is a crucial year for me in school and in life. I have had some deadlines looming over me for the past few years and I just have to hunker down, be more disciplined, and execute!

I do have one question. I am pretty good of going through and donating many things in our house – clothes, kitchen gadget, any unnecessary or unused items. However, it is impossible – ok, almost impossible – for me to part with books! I just can’t get rid of books (or papers). Do you have any advice on how to go through a book collection? I’d love some tips! I just have so many books…

I love reading your blog, Natalie! Thank-you!