13 In beauty/ style

How to Not Look Exhausted

not-exhausted

We’ve all been there—tired, pale, puffy and just plain zombie looking after a long night. Whether you’re a new mom like me or a night owl that skips out on precious hours of sleep on the regular, this post is for you!

Below are the products in my current rotation, all keeping me looking alive and awake for the day.

L’Oreal Youth Code Day Cream
This is my base. After a shower or quick face-washing, I slather this all over my face for SPF protection, moisture, and a soft illuminating glow. Plus, it helps get rid of dark spots and acne scars, so I’m all for it!

Origins GinZing Eye Cream
If my eyes are particularly puffy or dark underneath, I add this cream into the mix under my eyes. It has caffeine and brighteners in it to mask all kinds of problems. It’s a miracle product, I swear!

E.L.F. Bronzer
At only $1, this is the best value product out there. The color is perfect for a warm glow that masks that icky pale look you get when you’re super exhausted.

Sonia Kashuk Highlighter Stick
Clearly the secret to looking awake lies in illuminating because this is the third highlighting product in my mix! I swipe this on the top part of my cheek bones after applying bronzer to pick up my face a bit.

Sonia Kashuk Brow Definer & Brow Gel
I’ve found that properly groomed and defined brows make a huge difference. This is a step I never skip because I have rather skimpy eyebrows and just plain look better with them filled in. End of story. If you’re lucky enough to have super thick brows, 1) don’t over pluck them and 2) skip this step.

What products do you rely on to look alive after a long night?

Sarah
    November 13, 2014 at 9:26 am

Bronzer and highlighters are fantastic and a must! I also really like the inner rim eyeliners (white or nude-ish color)…just haven’t found one that lasts.

November 15, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’ve never managed to master the inner rim eyeliner trick, though I know a lot of people who swear by it!

ali grace
    November 13, 2014 at 9:29 am

Girl – you look amazing. If you’re exhausted and puffy, no one would ever know! As for the brows, I totally agree. Mine are thick, but pretty unruly. I’m still trying to figure out what works for mine, but they definitely look best when they’re defined and groomed. Also – I may have to try the L’Oreal day cream. Sounds amazing!

November 15, 2014 at 6:33 am

First of all, I ENVY YOUR BROWS!! Oh what I would do to have thick, unruly brows, haha. That being said, yes, the day cream is seriously my new favorite product. It does wonders!

Katie
    November 13, 2014 at 9:31 am

I know you’ve sang the praises of Origins GinZing before… Our first baby is on the way in a few weeks, and I decided just last weekend to order some as a little pre-baby treat for myself after remembering your recommendation. Thanks for all the suggestions!

November 15, 2014 at 6:34 am

What a perfect gift to yourself—I don’t think you’ll regret it!

Marlow
    November 13, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hi Natalie! Just wanted to say that I’ve been loving your blog posts lately… I’m in my early 20s and in graduate school, so marriage and kids aren’t on my radar quite yet but I’ve been loving the content so much more since you had Jack! Congrats, btw :) Your blog has officially become a part of my every day blog reading/coffee study break :)

Lauren
    November 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm

you are beautiful! btw, i started using the sonia line at target because of your suggestions and am loving her stuff.

November 15, 2014 at 6:36 am

Oh yay! Isn’t it great? I am totally obsessed with her products, and of course love that they’re available at Target because I go there pretty much every day, haha.

Coty and Mariah@quirksandtwists
    November 13, 2014 at 4:04 pm

What a great routine with awesome products! My go to product is Kiehls eye cream with avocado.

Lauren G
    December 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I bought the highlighter stick based off this post and have been loving it! Thanks for the recommendation. I find that using mascara makes the biggest difference on my face and whether I look awake or not… mascara would be that one magic product I’d take with me to a deserted island

Missy
    May 28, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I recently found your blog and reading this post for the first time :) What color ELF blush is it? The link doesn’t seem to be working.