Do you take baths?

14Michelle

Since Jack was born, I’ve started taking warm, shallow Epsom salt baths to help with the physical recovery. I take one in the morning before Brian leaves for work, and one in the evening before bed and they’ve created such wonderful recharge time for me after a full day (and full night) of caring for Jack. I light a candle (lately, this one), listen to music, read and totally check out from responsibility for a while. It’s amazing how I can feel simultaneously refreshed and relaxed afterward.

I’ve honestly never been one to take baths, but I think I’m addicted now. Of course, in true Natalie fashion, I couldn’t help but do some research about the benefits of Epsom salt baths (mostly because I was wondering if you could overdo it!), and much to my delight I learned that they are an incredibly healthy habit. According to Mind Body Green, there are four ways in particular they help both the mind and body:

1. They ease stress and promotes relaxation.
2. They detoxify the body.
3. They ease muscle pain.
4. They soften and smooth the skin.

Yep, I’m sold.

Are you a bath person?

Photo by Melissa Oholendt, styling by Emily Saunders via Design*Sponge

Emma
    October 30, 2014 at 5:37 am

I was NEVER a bath person, but now that I’m pregnant I love them! I take one most evenings and it helps so much with my back pain and general discomfort.

October 30, 2014 at 7:23 am

Oh yeah, baths do wonders for soothing aches and pains. Glad you’re enjoying them and taking time for self care while you’re pregnant!

VaNessa
    October 30, 2014 at 6:43 am

I used to be a bath person, at least once a week! Now, I am not really a bath person; I live in the dorms and I don’t think my bath tub gets clean enough! I would love to take a good bath though!

October 30, 2014 at 7:35 am

Haha, yeah, I probably wouldn’t take a bath in a dorm bath tub either!

kelly sommer
    October 30, 2014 at 7:00 am

I’ve always been a bath person but only got onto Epsom salts a few months ago after reading about detox health habits. love to soak!

October 30, 2014 at 7:35 am

I’ve been missing out all these years! I can’t believe only now I’m realizing how amazing baths are!

Maria
    October 30, 2014 at 7:51 am

The last time I probably took a bath was when I was little…I guess all the preparation turns me off. I’d want to clean the tub, make sure it’s rinsed well, then once I am done taking a bath, maybe clean it again so I do not leave a ring? Am I over thinking this, ha!? I’d probably be a good canidate for a bath…calm my nerves and over thinking.

October 30, 2014 at 11:33 am

Haha, I totally get it. Those thoughts are what has always kept me from taking baths, too! It wasn’t until my doctor told me I needed to take them to help me heal that I realized I actually love them (and it’s not as much of a hassle as I thought it would be)!

AshleyL
        November 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm

That is so great. I love baths! I started taking them a couple years ago. My hospital nurse told me I couldn’t take one until after my 6 week check up with my Ob it was so hard. I wanted to take one so bad. I like the Epsom salts that have milk powder or oats in it. So softening. I have just gotten into bubble baths though bits like the blanket of bubbles keep the water warm. My goal in life is to have a giant soaker tub. :)

Maria Trujillo
    October 30, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Natalie!

I really enjoy reading your blog :) You’ve inspired me to revamp my bathtub situation! Where did you get the wooden tray? It looks great and the functional possibilities seem endless!

October 30, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you! Unfortunately the photo above is one I found online, so I don’t own that tray. But if I ever see one like it I am going to snatch it up—I want one, too!!

Tiana
    October 30, 2014 at 8:32 am

I used to love baths but now, I can’t help but feel guilty about all the water it wastes. Especially with California’s drought situation.

Urban Wife
    October 30, 2014 at 8:53 am

I love baths but don’t make the time to take them often. I actually need to do it more now that I’m feeling an achy back at the end of the day thanks to this growing baby and chasing a toddler all day.

Teresa
    October 30, 2014 at 10:22 am

I’ve never tried an epsom salt bath BUT I am making a Target run today and will pick some up for when my daughter goes off to bed! Thanks!

Hannah Hardy
    October 30, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Couldn’t agree more! I’ve been a bath fan my whole life. My mom always took baths growing up and my older sister as well so I kinda thought everyone did! Wasn’t until I was older I realized most people shower instead. I agree though, nothing beats a warm soaking bath in the evenings to detox from the day! :)

Allison Isherwood
    October 30, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Add some essential oils to your Epsom salts for an aromatic and healthful treat.

Elizabeth
    October 31, 2014 at 11:44 am

During this stage of my life, we are in a different rental every year, leaving me with some very unpleasant & old bathtubs. As much as I scrub and clean them, I just cannot feel comfortable taking a bath in them. But, I love taking baths though, and it is one of the first things I will make sure our future permanent home has! They sound amazing- and I love those wooden tub shelves! Glad you have some detox time!