Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed | Thoughts By Natalie

Today, I just want to get real.

I have less than 7 weeks to go and I’m suddenly feeling overwhelmed. My nesting urges are nowhere to be found, the nursery is far from completion, I can’t help but freak out a bit at how much still needs to be done despite my lack of motivation. I am paralyzed by the tasks on my list, and also suddenly so aware of the lack of good storage solutions we have.

I need more bins and a better filing cabinet and a new rug and a big old truck to haul away all of the things I feel like I want to get rid of to make space for Jack and his baby goodies. When in doubt, toss it out. That’s my motto.

I feel like I simultaneously have eternity until I meet Jack, and no time at all. Yes, we have a stroller, and a crib (thanks Mom & Dad!), and a baby monitor (thanks Diane!), and our carrier (thanks Gail!), and a car seat (thanks Annie, Karen & Rachel!), and a billion cute baby onesies (thanks everyone), but there is still so much to get and do to prepare. I started making a list, which should help, but until I start checking things off I just have a hint of anxiety in the back of my mind at all times.

Perhaps what I really need is a warm bath and a good book. Nobody is ever really prepared when their first kid arrives, right? I know it’ll all work out and in a couple months when Jack is here I’ll be laughing at my pregnant, freaked out self. But until then, I’ll be adding items to my list, praying it all gets done before my baby boy comes home in my arms.

____________________________

This is part of the Summer Motherhood Project, a summer-long series covering anything and everything related to motherhood and babies: pregnancy, birth, challenges and joys of being a mom, miscarriage, infertility, pregnancy style, baby/kid style, why you don’t want to have kids at all, and the list goes on and on. I hope you’ll join in and link your blog here!

SUMMER MOTHERHOOD PROJECT RULES

1. Share your posts about anything and everything related to motherhood and babies: pregnancy, birth, challenges and joys of being a mom, miscarriage, infertility, pregnancy style, baby/kid style, why you don’t want to have kids at all, and the list goes on and on. (Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.)

2. Link back to this site so others can join in on the fun and share in the conversation. You can use the button below if you’d like :)

Thoughts By Natalie

3. You can link up your posts on any day of the week through Sunday, when the linkup will close so we can start a brand new one on Monday!

4. PLEASE visit the person’s blog who linked up directly before you and leave them a comment. This is such an important part of this project! Let’s encourage each other and build a community of women and friends :)

Carissa
    July 28, 2014 at 5:31 am

I was in the exact same place less than six months ago and now my 4 month baby boy Charlie is sleeping in his swing (well, almost asleep).
    I felt the same as you, wondering when, if ever, I would get the urge to nest. But actually, everything you just described IS nesting; the sudden anxiety, the desire to get rid of everything…
    Just tell yourself that all you really need – all Jack really needs – is your arms, milk, and maybe a crib to lay his head in, and even that last one isn’t that necessary at first since you will find that he can sleep almost anywhere in the first couple months.
    Remember that all the features and articles you read online showcasing beautiful nurseries are often photographed a month or two after baby arrives, and they are staged and stocked for perfect photos. Let them inspire you, but don’t let them make you feel inadequate.
    You are already a fantastic mother. Enjoy these last few weeks of being alone and being with your husband!

Bree
    July 28, 2014 at 6:42 am

Hi Natalie, I just want to assure you that you are exactly where you need to be. You don’t really need anything to bring a baby home. I seems like you need a ton of “stuff” and that there are a million things to do, but I can assure you (I’m a mom of 3) that everything is going to be okay. Take the warm bath and read a good book. Enjoy this time, embrace it.

July 28, 2014 at 9:18 am

Thank you, Bree!

Marina Gooding
      July 28, 2014 at 10:51 am

Bree, you totally made me feel better as well!! I am only at 21 weeks but I am starting to freak out. I guess it is because like Natalie, I want to clean out stuff before adding new stuff to the mix and its a struggle. Everywhere you turn, you have more to clear out! I am the most neatest cleanest hoarder I feel like. Thank you for making me feel like I don’t need a zillion little do-dads to welcome a new baby into the world. And bless your heart for the mom of three! I don’t know how you ladies do it. :)

Joanna @ Love Always Jo
    July 28, 2014 at 7:27 am

Natalie, you’re an amazing mom regardless of how many things you do or do not check off your list before Jack arrives. Take a bath, read a book — give yourself what you need.

Annie Gruetzmacher
    July 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Nato! Loved the post today! I feel this way in life, as you already know, and I’m not even a mom nor am I a soon to be mom! So it’s definitely embarrassing to say – but I can totally relate to your feelings! But I think you hit the nail on the head when you said “no one is ever prepared to have a baby”. That couldn’t be more true, so while that is still such a daunting thing to know, and knowing that you won’t be able to plan or prepare ENOUGH for Jack’s arrival, also find rest and peace in that. Know that you are enough, and that whatever you are or aren’t doing right now is not going to leave a lasting impact on Jack. When Jack comes, you’ll make sure to do what you need to make sure he’s taken care of! <3 <3 <3 So go get you some lavender lemonade girl and kick your feet up! 7 weeks from now, you'll be looking back and wondering "why didn't I do that?!" :)

Susan Horne
    July 28, 2014 at 9:46 am

Natalie … you’ve done enough! I’ll be there in about 7-8 weeks and can do whatever needs to be done. Sit back, relax, and make a list for your mom and dad to help with when we arrive :)

July 28, 2014 at 9:52 am

Thanks Mom! You’re right—I can totally put you and dad to work when you’re here :)

Lana
    July 28, 2014 at 9:59 am

I get that overwhelmed feeling. Best thing you can do is take that bath and rest. You have everything you need and will have time after baby is here to deal with the other things. Baby sleeps a ton in the beginning. Enjoy these last few weeks of anticipation and having it just be you and the husband.

Eileen Wilder
    July 28, 2014 at 10:15 am

I can totally relate! What’s so AWESOME is…it truly is a temporary feeling that does eventually subside…my little guy is now 15 weeks, and I remember how it all lifted the morning after I delivered. Total bliss. Your best days are just ahead!

AshleyL
    July 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm

My nesting didn’t happen until the week she was born. I felt tired and worn down. Don’t worry your body knows what to do. :) just do what feels right.

ali grace
    July 30, 2014 at 5:17 am

I adore your realness. So refreshing.
    ‘You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3

Sophie Lippiatt
    August 14, 2014 at 4:53 am

Natalie, as always I love your honesty and the discussions you provoke. You are doing such a great job – and need to always remember to relax and take care of yourself, too. It’s easy to forget, but looking after yourself is not just an optional extra or self indulgent luxury – it’s totally essential! Love and prayers for the last stages of your pregnancy. I had my own ‘overwhelmed’ moment recently 8/9 months in to my baby’s life, and had to take my own advice ;) it’s harder to do than to say! http://sophiecaldecott.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/sleep-breastfeeding-and-the-quest-for-the-elusive-middle-ground/