A Modern Neutral Baby Registry

UPDATE 1/14/15: Now that I have a few months of motherhood under my belt, I’ve had a chance to test out the products and decide what worked and what didn’t. You can see my newborn and postpartum favorite things here.

As I’ve embarked on my very first baby registry, I’ve quickly learned that baby gear is, well, pretty ugly. While I know that down the line I’m going to have to compromise and get bright, colorful toys that Jack wants, but while he’s an infant, I’m the one in charge and I say neutrals all the way. Though I’m registering for my baby boy, everything is very gender neutral.

This list is by no means comprehensive—obviously in addition to the pretty things featured, I also registered for things like diapers, bottles, nursing pads, etc. Below are several key items that I’ve discovered in my research are classic, neutral and modern, but for those (like me) who find it helpful to see an full list, you can see the entire registry here to use as a guide. (NOTE: please don’t judge me for the amount of baby clothes on there—I really couldn’t resist!!)

A Modern Neutral Baby Registry | Thoughts By Natalie

VERSATILE STROLLER // We chose the Quinny Buzz Xtra (and carseat adapter) for two reasons. First, it has a telescoping handle, which is key for Brian and I because we have such a big height difference between us. Second, they had a floor model they were selling for 50% off. Done and done. The Quinny is all-terrain, though not for jogging—we’re registered for the Eddie Bauer Endurance Jogging Stroller for my running adventures. It’s not tall enough for Brian to use, but perfect for me (I’m 5’4″) and a really great price point. If you’re not a runner, I think you’d be totally fine with the Quinny as your only stroller.

MUSLIN BURP CLOTHS // I love these organic muslin cloths by Green Sprouts, though Aden and Anais have some adorable ones with sweet little prints on them.

CARSEAT // Every friend I asked had the same carseat: Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Carseat. So, that’s what we registered for. It has great safety ratings, comes highly recommended by my friends, and is available in nice, neutral colors.

PORTABLE BASSINET // The babyhome Dream Cot is extremely lightweight with an aluminum frame that is easy to assemble and disassemble. It’s made for children up to 50 lbs or up to 6 months old, so it will get a decent amount of use. Also, while I love the sand color, it’s also available in several bright, modern colors. Isn’t it lovely?

SOPHIE // Sophie the Giraffe is a toy every modern baby needs, I’m told. She’s made of 100% natural rubber and food paint, and is completely safe to chew. Perfect for when baby is teething. Plus, who doesn’t love a giraffe?

BIBS // I love the black and white stripes on this terry bib from Gap, but also am registered for the Oxo Tots roll-up bib for when eating gets messy.

SLEEK HUMIDIFIER // I had a hard time choosing between the simple Crane Cool Mist Humidifier (shown) and the adorable elephant version, but decided to go with the more basic style for the sake of versatility.

PORT-A-COT // Another item I was told we absolutely must have is some kind of portable play yard. We opted to register for the Phil & Ted’s Traveller Porta-Cot because of its lightweight, compact design.

INFANT SEAT // The 4Moms Mamaroo has five motions: car ride with a figure eight on its side, KangaRoo with lots of up-and-down and less side-to-side, tree swing with high sides and low in the middle, rock-a-bye with low sides and high in the middle and an ocean wave that moves around in a big circle. Sounds fun and distracting :)

CARRIER // I already knew I wanted an ErgoBaby carrier based on recommendations from friends. We decided to go with the ErgoBaby Performance Collection because we live in a warmer climate and it worked well on both my torso and Brian’s (which is way longer than mine).

VIDEO MONITOR // Due to my first-time-mom paranoia, I’m registered for the Motorola Digital Video Baby Monitor + Babysense Motion Sensor. The baby monitor features 2-way communication, infrared night vision and a range of up to 520 feet, and the BabySense includes two motion detecting pads to detect no movement or irregular patterns, plus an auditory and visual alarm. Super safe :)

NATURAL HAMPER // I found this adorable woven hamper that is both functional and decorative. It’s going to look so cute in the nursery!

SIMPLE ONESIES // I registered for baby clothes all over the place, namely J.Crew Baby, Carter’s, H&M Baby, Baby Gap and Target.

TRAVEL CHANGER // Perfect for keeping in the car in case of emergencies, I love the Summer Infant ChangeAway changing pad with its useful storage pockets. I registered for two—one for my car, and one for Brian’s.

BABY HANGERS // Baby clothes are teeny-tiny and need special little hangers to hold them. Since we’re removing the closet doors in the nursery to open things up and have extra storage (we’re putting a dresser in there!), I wanted to find hangers that I was okay with having on display. The two best options I found were the Real Simple Slimline Children’s Hangers and The Container Store Kid’s Huggable Hangers.

HIGHCHAIR // The Bloom Nano Highchair is sleek, modern, and lightweight, and ideal for those who are tight on space. It has a comfy padded seat that’s easy to clean, and an adjustable, deep-set feeding tray that’s simple to remove. But what really sold me is that it folds flat, which makes it easy to hide when we’re not using it.

SOFT ANIMALS // My favorites are the JellyCat stuffed animals—so soft and snuggly, and they look adorable in the nursery.

WOODEN PLAY GYM // Of all baby toys, the play gyms are probably the worst offenders in bad design. While I know I may eventually have to get a ridiculous colorful one, I like the Finn + Emma Wooden Play Gym, which is made from 100% birch wood and finished with a clear non-toxic lacquer. Another great option is the Plan Toys Activity Baby Gym.

MUSLIN BLANKETS // For swaddling and snuggling, I’m a big fan of the Aden and Anais Muslin Blankets for their softness and versatility.

Moms & people who spend time around babies: what are your must-have baby items? What items could you do without? Also, feel free to tell me about any other sources for cute baby clothes :)

P.S. The Baby Registry Guide at Modern Eve is also super helpful for modern mamas who want useful baby items that are also nice to look at :)

Robin
    June 30, 2014 at 6:35 am

I LOVE our muslin swaddles from Aiden & Anais! I also couldn’t do without easier swaddles (like Swaddle Me or Miracle Blanket). They were key in the first 4 months. I also had no idea that I’d need so many burp rags. :) This looks great and I love the neutral style! So excited for you! :)

June 30, 2014 at 8:27 am

Yes, I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about them! And we totally registered for some easy swaddles too—I feel like I’m really going to need those!!

Carissa @ Pretty/Hungry
      June 30, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Echoing this! Babies are little Houdinis about wiggling out of their swaddles, so the velcro really helps.

Michaela Jean
    June 30, 2014 at 9:22 am

Everything is so cute, but that hamper is ADORABLE!

Such an exciting time for you!

xo

Michaela

Alison
    June 30, 2014 at 10:37 am

Love your selections! Just wanted to drop you a note about the hangers. I too wanted hangers that were nice for display and got them from the Container Store. What I didn’t realize was that “baby” clothes don’t fit well on “kid” hangers. All newborn – 6 month stuff was just too small to be put on the hangers. It wasn’t until we got to 9 or even 12 months that the clothes started to fit comfortably. So, as unattractive as they are, you may want to grab a few baby hangers for those tiny little clothes early on! :)

Georgine
    June 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

Great info!! Have been on the hunt for what to do about a bassinet. I just registered for a fisher price (rock n’ play) bassinet (not THAT bad looks wise and for about $75 I don’t feel terrible if we use if for a few months only)- plus it is mesh which I feel great about. Though it was with a very heavy heart, I took my Serena&Lily moses basket off my registry, sometimes you have to compromise!

Also, I totally agree with you about the wood play gyms… I got the Ikea one for about $30 and I just assembled it- it’s exactly what I was looking for!

I also did a nursery/vibe in neutrals and grays with accents in blue… just seems so peaceful and mellow that way.

Autumn
    June 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Great choices! I found registering to be totally overwhelming and was so thankful for the advice of friends about what I really needed and what I could do without. This post will help other new moms with some advice!

June 30, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Yes, it was SO overwhelming. That was my hope with sharing it with everyone—making life a little easier for other mamas :)

Ashlee
    June 30, 2014 at 5:59 pm

That elephant hamper! Totally adding to my list for baby #2, would fit our nursery theme perfectly!

Megan
    June 30, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Such cute picks! Love the hamper! Wish I had known about the Ergo carrier earlier! I eventually found my Arms Reach Co Sleeper to be a life saver so I didn’t have to continually get out of bed at night … But I hope your little one sleeps more than mine! Hahaha!
    So excited for you. Enjoy!

Comfy Cozy Couture
    July 1, 2014 at 6:40 am

I got that hamper for a friend last year and it’s the cutest thing ever! Thanks for all of the tips, we are expecting in December so I’m definitely book marking this! Oh and PS the MyRegistry has your address so you may not want everyone seeing that? Just as an FYI

July 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Oh whoops—didn’t realize that!! Just made it so it was private. Thank you!!

Liz
    July 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Great registry! My little boy just turned two months old today. Time flies. We have the ergo ( with infant Insert) but for these first couple of months I have preferred the moby wrap! It is much more comfortable and my baby falls asleep in it instantly. I do think I will use the ergo more when he is older though so I am glad we have it as well!

July 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Yes, I’ve heard wraps are really helpful for the first few months. My friend may lend me hers, which would be ideal!! I’m all for using items that work :)

Laura
    July 9, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi Natalie. Stumbled across your blog from a friends. :) congrats on baby boy! What a blessing. (It truly is, I promise!) after having 2 babies of my own I have to say my top things used were:
    1. A fantastic breast pump. Became a life savor for me when my 2nd baby struggled with
    Latching and we all got frustrated. I was able to I’ve him mamas milk till he was 1 and not feel depressed bc I didn’t “traditionally” breastfeed.
    2. Nose Frieda. Baby friendly for sucking out snot. So much easier on a little baby nose. Vs the bulb they give you (which gets alarmingly moldy fast!)
    3. Prefold cloth diapers are the best best best burp rags ever. Yes, not “cute” but oh so practical. :)
    4. Coconut oil. Best darn diaper rash cream ever. Cloth diaper friendly if you wanna cloth diaper. And amazing moisturizer. And SPF 4 natural sunscreen.
    We use our ergo all the time and baby swing. We also are a huge lover of all things jellycat. My babies are obsessed with them. Good luck and God bless! You seem to have a lot of support and wisdom and I know you’ll do great! ❤️

July 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

So glad you found the blog! Thanks for these tips—super helpful :)

Alys | Mundane Ecstasy
    July 15, 2014 at 3:51 am

Neutrals all the way! The bright colours of children’s toys hurts my eyes a little and its nice that you didn’t resort to standard blue.

The little Sophie giraffe is something I give to lots of newborns and is always well received by parents. Plus its super cute!

Love Drop
    August 11, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Love this modern registry checklist! I must ask, how did you pick your stroller? There are so many on the market.

Thanks!

August 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Three key factors: 1) We loved the simple design, 2) the handle extended high enough for my husband to be able to use it, and 3) we snagged it for 50% off! That being said, we’re really happy with the choice and eager to put our little guy in it when he arrives!

Sara
    April 6, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Did you guys end up liking babyhome Dream Cot and the 4Moms Mamaroo? We are having our 3rd after a bit of a gap, our girls are 5 and 3, so we are starting over with baby gear. I would love to know your opinions on theses products or even an updated post on how everything worked out/what you really used.

April 6, 2015 at 12:51 pm

We ended up not getting the dream cot because some friends of ours lent us their Rock ‘n Play. The Mamaroo was okay, but I wouldn’t say it’s worth the money. I actually did an updated post, which you can find here. I’m going to link to it in this post, too, in case anyone else is wondering too!

Sara
        April 6, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I had read that, I follow you on Bloglovin, but you didn’t mention either of those products. Thanks for the update.