14 In style

The Capsule Wardrobe

The Capsule Wardrobe | Thoughts By Natalie

I recently discovered a name for something I’ve been attempting to do with my closet for the past several through downsizing and keeping only what I love. It’s called a capsule wardrobe and it absolutely speaks to my minimalist leanings.

The basic premise? Limit your wardrobe to less than 40 pieces per season (tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, and shoes included). That may sound so scary to you, but I can say from experience that the less I have in my closet, the more put-together I look and the more in tune I feel with my true personal style.

I especially love the idea of rotating items in and out by the season. I’ve mastered the art of cutting back on how much I have in my closet, but sometimes there are clothes that I really like, but just am not feeling for the time being. Each season has a different vibe—in the winter, I love a predominantly black wardrobe and simple neutrals. In the summer, I tend to add pops of blue or even coral to my core items. But when everything is all muddled together in my closet, it’s hard to see what I’m really looking for.

Plus, there would be so much excitement each new season when you change out clothes and add new items to the rotation, don’t you think? While I’m currently being forced into a capsule wardrobe during these pregnancy days, I definitely plan to implement this strategy for real when I’m no longer carrying a basketball under my shirt ;)

If you are in need of more simplicity in your life or a style refresh, be sure to check out all the specifics on creating a capsule wardrobe from Caroline at Un-Fancy

>> What a capsule wardrobe is
>> How to build a capsule wardrobe
>> Capsule wardrobe planner

Would you ever try a capsule wardrobe?

Photo via Madewell

Megan @ Lush to Blush
    May 21, 2014 at 7:21 am

This sounds like a dream! This is definitely what I need to do with my wardrobe. I love simplicity, but my closet is overstuffed and I can never find what I want. I want to put away my winter stuff, but I have NO storage space! I don’t even know what to do. I’ll definitely be checking out those links. Hopefully I can find a solution! Thanks for sharing! :)

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

May 21, 2014 at 8:05 am

Oh yes, storage is certainly a big factor with the capsule wardrobe. I liked the idea of putting stuff under the bed, though that only works if you have the right kind of bed frame. Currently I have wardrobe racks in my garage where I hang all of the clothes I’m not wearing at the moment. Let me know if you end up trying it!

Jessica
    May 21, 2014 at 7:25 am

I just blogged about this yesterday with pictures of all my items. I chose 33 along with the project 333 (33 items for 3 months). I have a few gaps to fill but boy, does it feel great to have a limited selection to choose from. I had two babies in a year and a half and that pregnant/post pregnancy/ whoops I’m pregnant again/ post babies phase had me in all sorts of sizes. Now that it’s been a few years and my body seems to have settled, it was the perfect time to clean out.

Lindsay
    May 21, 2014 at 10:56 am

I did this so successfully when I lived in Charlotte! A lady has an appropriate wardrobe for every season, after all. ;) I used to rotate my wardrobe with each season; the off-seasons were neatly placed in the vacuum seal bags and stored under my bed and my closet got a regular facelift. I even rotated my shoes! It was quite a project to pull out a new season and pack the old one away, but it felt like getting a whole new wardrobe! Of course, I had a few staple pieces that transferred from season to season, but it was fun to follow the fashion “rules” for each season. This concept is much, much harder now that I’m back in L.A. because I feel seasons have less influence on SoCal fashion. Plus the weather is moderately the same year-round and I’m constantly in need of more space in my tiny apartment… Makes me long for the Southeast… Ha!

May 22, 2014 at 9:12 am

So true—the seasons don’t really exist here! But as a result, I think I just have less clothes overall. No winter or summer wardrobe to rotate, but certainly more than 40 items. Even though we don’t have true seasons, I still tend to wear different types of clothes at different points in the year.

BethAnn
    May 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I love this! I tried something like this a few years ago and felt so free … and your right, more pulled together some how with less options. They tend to be more intentional items when you have less to choose from. But alas, over the last couple years i’ve piled on the options once again and I’m drowning! (haha) Love this tip – Thanks!

Sarah
    May 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I like the idea but she lost me at 2 dresses…I live in dresses in the summer, work and weekends. Maybe I can just make a really good effort at sorting thru my wardrobe and get rid of pieces I don’t love.

May 22, 2014 at 9:10 am

I don’t think the specifics of items is as important as finding 37-40 items that work for you for a season. Totally customizable!

Katie
    May 27, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I think we should host some sort of group IG sale for all the items we prune out!!1

Danielle Youngdale
    June 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I need you to help me with doing this!! ASAP!

June 6, 2014 at 11:14 am

I highly recommend checking out Un-Fancy—she has some helpful guides that make the whole thing soooo easy!