Tomorrow

Tomorrow // thoughtsbynatalie.com

Tomorrow is a pretty significant day in the Borton family. First, it marks 3 years since I said “I do” to my best friend and love of my life, Brian. Second, it’s (finally) the day we find out the gender of our growing little Bean!

As of right now, we have no special plans to celebrate. In fact, the excitement of tomorrow is overshadowed a bit by some somber news we received this week that Brian’s uncle passed away. While tomorrow is a good and exciting day, this weekend will be a difficult one no doubt as we remember Uncle Randy’s life and spend time with family. All this barely a month after my Uncle Gary passed away. How can there be so much life within me (Bean!), and so much death around? It’s hard to comprehend.

It’s weird how one week can hold so many emotions. I remember how absolutely not okay I was when my friend Jared died unexpectedly. And yet in the midst of it, I can recall moments of laughter with friends. It’s amazing how the body can manage it all and not totally implode.

Life is so full of this balance of emotions. Loss and gain. Joy and sorrow. Beauty and sadness. The challenge is finding how it all comes together—seeking beauty in the sadness. Beauty is everywhere if we look for it, and the joyful moments in our lives need not be made less joyful in light of difficult circumstances. And each loss in our lives reminds us not to take the time we have for granted. Each day is a gift to be cherished, whether we live to be 99 or 39.

It’s never easy to manage loss, but my prayer is that no loss is ever in vain. That each tragedy in life can be seen through the lens of eternity, and that God would show each of us that he makes all things good and beautiful in time.

Photo by my super talented and dear friend Jess of Bailey Lane Photography

Andi
    April 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm

So sorry to hear about Brian’s uncle passing – always so hard to experience. Thinking of you guys and agree, that beauty is to be found IN the sadness. I have no doubt Brian’s uncle (and your Uncle Gary) would have been so so excited to find out baby Bean’s gender. I’m reminded of that song lyric that reads: “you make beautiful things out of dust, you make beautiful things out of us.” The very bittersweet part about death is seeing hope rise and beauty come out of unlikely places (like not-so-awesome weeks).

I really appreciate you sharing this post! xo

Adele
    April 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your losses, Natalie. But I’m excited along with you for this new little life – can’t wait to hear if tiny bean is a boy or a girl! x

April 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Adele. I for sure will be letting you all know the gender soon, so stay tuned!

Brian
    April 15, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Beautiful post Natalie. This is a week full of varied emotions for sure. Through it all, I’m so thankful to have you as my one constant. Love you always.

April 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thanks babe. I agree—I couldn’t pick a better person to go through this roller coaster of emotions with. I love you so much!

Kenna
    April 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Love you sweet friend! Will be celebrating with you and Brian tomorrow and lifting up the heartache in prayer. xoxo

April 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for your prayers, girl—you are always someone I can count on for that and I’m so grateful for that!

Laura
    April 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Praying for you and your families!! My grandfather passed away when I was pregnant, and it was so hard to know that he would never get to meet our little Ruthie.

Stephanie May
    April 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

This is gorgeous Natalie. I’ve been learning the same lessons recently — it’s amazing how so much life can exist next to and intertwined with death. I’m praying for you and your family, and your cute little bean. I can’t wait to find out if it’s a boy or a girl!