So, This Is Happening

photo-2-1

Today, it’s finally time to share some very exciting news—I’M PREGNANT! We found out on January 2nd, and it’s been killing me to keep it a secret for two months, but now that I’m officially in my second trimester I’m relieved to no longer be a secret-keeper.

To anyone out there who has had contact with me since January and wondered why I’m a little loopy, now you know why—growing a person is hard work! My focus is nowhere to be found. Now that I’m all the way through my first trimester (woohoo!), I thought it could be fun to share my personal observations and experiences with you…

FATIGUE
If there was one word to describe my life for the past three months it would be lazy. There have been so many days when I’ve sat on the couch all day, watching The Today Show, Food Network and E! News until Brian comes home. I felt really pathetic at first, but my other friends who have been pregnant say it’s totally normal to have zero energy and that it’s good to rest when you can—so I let it happen, and have relied heavily on daily lists to motivate me to do the things that really did need to get done.

HUNGER
Pregnancy hunger is no joke, people. I pretty much feel hungry all day, so of course that means I’m eating all day. I have breakfast immediately (I wake up starving!), a snack, lunch, two more snacks (sometimes three), then dinner and sometimes another snack. I’m eating a lot of healthy and hearty stuff, but still—this is nuts! Thankfully I enjoy eating, so it’s actually pretty fun. Please don’t judge me if I gain 65 lbs by the end of the year.

AVERSIONS
I’m very sad to report that vegetables are my worst enemy these days. As someone who has eating mostly vegetarian since 2009, this is very strange to me, and also a little sad because I know that veggies are so, so important! That being said, I really hate them and have only managed to eat them in soups and in veggie sushi and recently in a sandwich or pasta dish—salads are still tough, though! Also, coffee. As someone who normally drinks 4-5 cups a day, I feared that ditching my daily cups of joe would be challenging, but thankfully there has been nothing less appealing to me (well, besides vegetables, maybe)! It’s so strange how awful it sounds to me. I’ve even brewed up some decaf and literally poured it down the drain after one sip. Strange! Oh, and I suddenly hate spicy food (it tastes spicier somehow).

CRAVINGS
I absolutely cannot get enough veggie sushi or dairy in my life (thankfully not together). The dairy thing is weird because I don’t normally consume very much of it. I still hate milk, but cheese, yogurt and cream cheese (slathered on bagels!) have all been extremely appealing. And as far as veggie sushi goes, it’s pretty much what I eat for lunch every day lately. Oh, and fruit. I’m eating TONS of fruit, which is good since I now seem to hate vegetables.

RANDOM EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS
Gosh, these are so weird. I’ve had several nights where, out of nowhere, I just start crying! And I don’t feel sad at all—just a very strong need to cry. Brian thought I was nuts at first, but now I know it’s just the hormones so I can say “sorry, I’m not actually sad, it’s just the hormones making tears come out of my face” and he knows we’re all good.

ACNE AND GREASY HAIR
This dry-skinned girl is suddenly super oily. Although this the acne is thankfully subsiding a bit already, it was a rough couple of months. For someone who managed to avoid getting acne through adolescence thanks to my extremely dry skin, I can now say that I understand where the rest of you are coming from. I’ll take eczema over acne any day!! And of course, due to the extra oils, I use dry shampoo constantly and am washing my hair way more often. The good news? I hear that weird skin and hair changes go away after baby. Thank the Lord!

So far, I’d say I’m having a pretty easy pregnancy compared to what I’ve read. And of course, I can’t wait to get to the good part when I can feel Bean (our nickname for this little one until we find out the gender and pick a name) moving around inside. That, and of course both Brian and I can’t wait for September when I finally get to meet the little bundle of joy that’s incubating in my rapidly-expanding belly. So incredible!

P.S. A post I wrote a year ago, when I first started changing my tune about babies.

Emily
    February 28, 2014 at 6:52 am

Congrats!! That is super exciting!! I will be praying for you and that he or she grows healthy inside you!

Meg M
    February 28, 2014 at 7:14 am

congratulations! yay baby :) praying for a healthy pregnancy for you!

Urban Wife
    February 28, 2014 at 7:24 am

Congratulations, you guys!! :) I’ll be praying you continue having a smooth pregnancy. Can’t wait to follow along in this new season of your lives. (p.s. I came over from Madison’s blog about 6 months ago)

Comfy Cozy Couture
    February 28, 2014 at 7:31 am

So exciting!! Congrats Natalie, you are going to be one stylish Mama!

Liz
    February 28, 2014 at 7:37 am

Congrats!! Such exciting news :) I too am pregnant and have been craving sushi! Do you make the veggie sushi at home? If so I would love for you to share the recipe!

Bethany
    February 28, 2014 at 7:40 am

Congratulations! Babies are such an incredible gift and opportunity for tremendous growth (physically – ha! And as an individual)… So excited for you, as praying for a peaceful pregnancy. :)

Rachel Buckingham
    February 28, 2014 at 7:44 am

Congrats! So exciting!

Robin
    February 28, 2014 at 8:11 am

SO wonderful Natalie! I’m so happy for you :)

It sounds like we had pretty much the same aversions! During my 1st trimester I couldn’t stand the thought of veggies, salad, green juice, coffee….or anything healthy for that matter! All I ate was cheese and pizza and other comfort foods.

It’s tempting to feel bummed about that because you want to eat healthy for baby – but give yourself grace. It’s just temporary and you will be able to eat veggies again eventually.

Rest and enjoy the opportunity to truly listen to your body. pregnancy is such a miracle. I am so happy for you!

xo,
    Robin

Yasmin Sarai
    February 28, 2014 at 8:16 am

What wonderful news! Just had my first child in December and can relate to everything you mentioned. The good news is the skin changes, aversions, and cravings will go away for the most part; however, if you breastfeed the hunger won’t, the emotions will be more sensitive because you are a momma, and the fatigue is pretty ongoing but easy to ignore when you’ve got a precious babe in your arms. Praying for you, your hubby and little Bean!

Joanna @ love always jo
    February 28, 2014 at 8:32 am

Yay!!! Congrats, Natalie!

Lindsay
    February 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

Congratulations! Wonderful news! Looking forward to the bump pics! X

Andi
    February 28, 2014 at 9:58 am

Congratulations Natalie! What an exciting adventure ahead – can’t wait to follow your adventures :) xo

Sherrine Francis
    February 28, 2014 at 10:40 am

Wow! Congratulations :)

Babies are such a gift.

Looking forward to reading your musings on growing this sweet lil bean.

Enya Moran
    February 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Congrats Natalie, how wonderful!

Katie
    February 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I have been waiting for baby news since you posted “changing my tune” last year! Congratulations, such an exciting time in both your lives!!

Megan @ Lush to Blush
    February 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yaaayyyy, so excited for you! I remember reading that other post and I am so glad that you are growing your family! Congrats!!

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

Meg
    February 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Congratulations! That is so wonderful! I love reading your blog and look forward to your baby updates :)

Lauren Gyllenhammer
    February 28, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I am not a big blog commenter, but this one made me smile and I had to say hi/congrats!! Congratulations Natalie and Brian! I look forward to catching up with you once John and I finally make our move to San Diego, especially with this extra fun news. love all the babies in the air these days :)

AshleyL
    February 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm

So happy for you! I’m 22 weeks right now and I’ve had almost the exact same symptoms. My skin hasn’t gotten Olivier but my shoulders are breaking out like crazy. They’re worse then when I was in middle school. The veggie aversion sucks. I went from someone who ate at least 4-5 servings a day to like maybe one. Cheese is my best friend too. I have also been having red meat cravings once a week which is really strange for me but all other meats sound disgusting. I can eat more veggies now if they are in things but not just steamed or by themselves.
    I cannot recommend asos.com enough. The best maternity stuff I have tired for good prices I have a pair of black skinny jeans from them that are seriously a god send! I can’t wait to see some pregnancy fashion posts!
    Can’t wait for you to find out what you’re having!

Stacey
    March 1, 2014 at 8:14 am

This SO exciting! Yay :)

Cayla
    March 2, 2014 at 11:56 am

AHH, congratulations! I don’t know that I’ve ever commented before, but I originally happened upon your blog many months ago as a source of style/fashion inspiration, and I want you to know it has been an encouragement to me in so many other, deeper ways. I’ve loved Nellie the past two months, and I’ll be eagerly awaiting its return in the future, but mostly I’m just thankful for your writing and sharing, and I’m so excited for you!

Katie McC
    March 2, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Congratulations! That’s so exciting. Cannot wait to hear more about it the whole pregnancy!

Grey
    March 4, 2014 at 7:55 am

Awesome Natalie :)

Andrea
    March 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

Congratulations! We’re expecting our second in August and I can second your feelings of exhaustion. It’s getting better now that I’m in the 2nd trimester, but it’s also kind of the norm. Praying for a healthy baby and healthy mama. It’s such an exciting time for you and Brian.

Cami Hall
    July 16, 2014 at 8:31 am

I’m due in September also! (But I’m having a baby girl!) Congratulations! Loved this post… spoke to my first trimester so well!