Let’s Get Organized

This morning started off pretty perfectly. After a full night’s sleep, Brian and I woke up early together and started our new routine of eating breakfast and drinking coffee together before he leaves the house. It’s sad, perhaps, that we’re just starting this now, almost three years into marriage, but I suppose late is better than never. Not only is it an easy way to create more quality time together, but it’s also one of the many ways we’re focusing on simplicity and discipline this year (waking up early together requires discipline, and sharing a morning meal is a simple, beautiful start to the day).

And now, after such a delightful morning, I’ve decided it’s time to get really, really organized. Because who can live a simple, disciplined life with clutter all around? While Brian is at the office today, I’m totally committing myself to organizing around the house. Specifically, these are the things I’m planning to tackle:

BEDROOM CLOSET: Our closet is a major disaster, and pretty much the only thing we have going for us is that all of our hangers match, which is something I’ve been particular about for years. Last week I bought a closet organizer that I’m going to set up today to create more space overall, plus a sweater organizer (like this one) so I can give Brian more room in our dresser. Also, as I rehang things, I’ll continue to sift through clothes and eliminate even more stuff in hopes of starting the new year with a really intentional, pared-down wardrobe.

KITCHEN: Yikes—our kitchen is even worse than the closet! Though on the outside it looks nice (everything is tidy and I love how it looks!), the contents of the cabinets are all over the place. There is no rhyme or reason to where things go, and it’s pretty much organized the way it was when we first moved in a year ago. I’d like to take some time today to create a better plan for where things go so it’s easier to find and access what we’re looking for.

2014 CALENDAR: Though not a room in the house, a calendar is pretty key to staying organized with time. Brian and I have decided to hang up a physical shared calendar in our bedroom so we can keep track not only of our commitments through the week, but also schedule our date nights and the times we’re meeting each other at the gym during the week.

What parts of your life most need organizing?

Image via Cultivate

Jessaca
    December 30, 2013 at 8:26 am

Let’s see: my pantry and my basement, especially my basement. When we bought and built our house four years ago, I never imagined that we had enough junk to fill up an entire unfinished basement. We’re talking 1600 square feet. It’s scary. Really need to teach my husband to let go…and to help! LOL!

Sarah
    December 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

Do you have any recommendations for a pretty wall calendar? My husband and I need to do the same thing – you always have such pretty taste !

Kelsey
    December 30, 2013 at 10:09 am

Once you get all organized, you should definitely do a home tour. From what I can see from your posts, your house looks absolutely adorable.

December 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks Kelsey! Yes, I’ve been meaning to do one for a while and I think I’m nearly ready! I know the house will never be perfect, so once it’s tidied up, I think I’ll go for it and have a friend help me take some awesome shots around the house. Stay tuned!!

Kimberly Amack
    December 30, 2013 at 10:41 am

I would recommend taking breaks while you do it because it can be very frustrating! “Celebrate” the little victories you have while you do it, too :)

December 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

Good tip!! I’m currently taking my second little break and you’re so right—it’s way easier to keep making progress when you pace yourself and don’t get so caught up in accomplishing everything all at once! My first little victory: I set up the closet organizer. Woohoo!

Brian
        December 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm

In addition to little breaks, don’t forget to sip some vino while you’re at it. Wine can make even menial tasks a lot better! Thanks for all your hard work today Natty.

December 30, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Ha! I’m saving my wine consumption for tonight—don’t want to be drunk when you get home, haha.

Kristie Christie
    December 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Right there w you on the organizing front.

December 31, 2013 at 3:59 pm

It feels SO GOOD!! Our closet is heavenly now. Next: the kitchen, the downstairs closet, and of course, my calendar :)

Amy
    January 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

The hubs and I just downsized from 1200 to 500 sq feet to save up for a house, the small space makes me stay organized, but if even one thing is out of place it feels like a pig stye :/