I Love My Body As It Is

Have you heard of Robyn Lawley? She seems to be in the news constantly lately, and while I find her Facebook page too scandalous to share publicly here, I’m super thankful for the conversations she’s been starting regarding body image, modeling and fashion.

Above is a quick 5-minute video clip from her appearance on The Ellen Degeneres Show that I hope you’ll take a moment to watch and be encouraged by. If you’re at work or don’t have the time or space to watch the video, let me share my absolute favorite part with you.

At 0:39 after briefly mentioning the terrible names she’s been called as a model (“pig” and “hefty” to name a couple), she says, “It’s fine. I’m really confident and I love my body as it is.” Later she notes that she’s started saying that regularly, and it’s amazing how much of an impact it has on the way she views herself.

I absolutely love that attitude. Don’t you? While it may not be easy for us to say it and mean it, I think there really is value in choosing to say it out loud regularly (even just to ourselves in the mirror), because the more we say it, the more we’ll start to believe it. I, for one, intend to try it for myself. I’ll let you know how it goes ;)

“I love my body as it is.” Can you say that to yourself today? Are you willing to? What’s stopping you?

P.S. Some beautiful photos of Lawley being radiant at her natural size…

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

I Love My Body As It Is // thoughtsbynatalie.com

Photos via Cosmopolitan Australia

natalie@thesweetslife
    November 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

that anyone would call her negative names astounds and saddens me! Love her attitude and ability to overcome!

VaNessa
    November 12, 2013 at 3:41 pm

She rocks her curves well … I can’t even handle it. When I grow up, I wanna be like that!!!;

Kate
    November 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Loved this! She’s awesome. It’s pretty crazy that she’s a plus-size model. Yeah, she’s tall, but she’s certainly not overweight. More women need to be able to say that they love their bodies, and as you’ve said before, unconditionally — not just when we’re at a certain weight or on a good hair day! Thanks for sharing, Natalie.

Carissa @ Pretty/Hungry
    November 12, 2013 at 8:33 pm

So wonderful! Women can look at this and see it as attainable (even if they choose to wait to flaunt it for their husbands only.) Very encouraging!

November 12, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Yes, totally! It’s more about confidence and radiant beauty than anything else and I love that about her photos! Regardless of our natural size, we should own who we are and be proud of it!

Annie Gruetzmacher
    November 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Love this post girlfriend! The fact that people would say such negative things about her and her body are astounding to me. So sad to see where the world and it’s priorities are today. When I look at her body, I think it’s gorgeous. And if anything, I’m envious! People are crazy!

November 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I agree—our culture has SUCH a distorted view of beauty that feeds negative body image like no other. I’m so inspired by this model and her confidence and hope I can learn to respect and love my body the way that she does!

Sarah K
    November 14, 2013 at 9:04 am

What a great message to spread! Like Ellen pointed out, we are conditioned at a young age to find what is “wrong” with our bodies. As young girls we aren’t taught to give and receive compliments. Loving our bodies just the way they are might not be easy, but it should be a much more acceptable thing to work towards.

Rach
    November 18, 2013 at 8:31 am

she is absolutely beautiful and has a gorgeous body. I don’t understand how she is considered “plus sized” though.