we bought a house

Brian and I accidentally wearing matching shirts to our first meeting with our realtor.

Yes, you read that right…we bought our very first house!!!

It’s so surreal and exciting and also quite overwhelming, but in a word, we are feeling blessed. It’s something we didn’t imagine would happen until our thirties, and then all of a sudden the opportunity presented itself (in the form of the lowest mortgage rates ever) and we found our perfect place. It’s been a huge struggle to keep this from you for the past month, but since we close escrow today, I’m now free to shout it from the rooftops!

Stay tuned for photos of the place as we add furniture and make it our own. The first item on the list: buy a Christmas tree :)

UPDATE: Get a sneak peek of our space here >>

Are any of you homeowners? Any and all advice is welcome!

Keep in touch! Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest

Alexa
    November 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm

CONGRATS!!! That’s so exciting! I’m a college student, so I definitely don’t have tips haha. But good luck and enjoy your new house!

Alexa
    44thandlex.com

Joanna
    November 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Congrats!! What exciting news! It will be so nice to spend Christmas in your new home. Can’t wait to see pics!

November 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thank you!! I will definitely be doing a “house tour” post once I get things together in the new place. Stay tuned!

The Nest The Laws Built
    November 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm

congrats!!!! First house feeling is the best!!! Christmas tree is for sure the first “must”!

November 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thank you!! I’m already dreaming of how I’ll decorate it :)

Courtney Cowan
    November 26, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Congrats!!! I think the most important thing is to take your time and really make it your own. That’s what hubby and I have been doing, and while we didn’t have as much furniture as we needed in some of the rooms over the past year, now that we do, and we’ve bought quality pieces, I’m so glad we did it this way. Plus, your real friends aren’t going to care if you don’t have things on the walls or tons of living room furniture. And, you will ALWAYS want to change something. Even if it’s painting a room or new pillows on the couch, it will always be something. And that is ok, because we all evolve, and our tastes change, and we make more money, or have kids, or something. Just be super happy and excited, and know that it will all come together, and it’s wonderful to have a HOME. ;)

November 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thank you for your advice, Courtney!! I love what you said about real friends not caring about the decor—it’s so true and a really good reminder not to obsess over making everything perfect. Thanks!

NatalieMcC
    November 26, 2012 at 10:29 pm

So super awesome!!! I remember buying our first home (which we moved and sold just 4months later…whomp whomp…) and it was so exciting!! I will agree with Courtney…take time ‘filling’ it up, get quality pieces and pieces that are you and brian…not just something you found to fill a void. Enjoy the first home-cooked meal sitting at a table…planning what it’ll feel like once you have a family to share the space with one day! Congrats!! A HUGE accomplishment for sure!

November 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Great tip: “Enjoy the first home-cooked meal sitting at a table…” I will definitely be doing that!

thethreadaffect.com
    November 27, 2012 at 4:35 am

Congratulations! That’s beyond exciting news!

Ashlee
    November 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Congrats Natalie! How wonderful! I totally echo Courtney’s advice up there – take your time. Your taste will evolve and change a little bit each year. We’ve been in our house for six years and I FINALLY feel like it’s “us”….it took us a looooong time, and a lot of room makeovers to make it our home. My other advice: make note of the special things that happen in your house. I remember coming home from our honeymoon and Brett carrying me through the front door….one summer night laying on the carpet in our office, tears streaming down my face laughing at something Brett said….throwing socks at each other in our bedroom…..taking a pregnancy test in our bathroom and squealing at the plus sign….finding out we were having a boy in the middle of our kitchen surrounded by family and friends….bringing Everett home for the first time and rocking him in his nursery. If I could go back in time and give myself advice when we first bought our house, it would be to focus more time and energy on creating moments in our home, and less time and energy obsessing over paint colors.

November 28, 2012 at 2:56 am

Thanks Ashlee! I really love your advice—after all, life is about creating memories with those we love, not having the perfect decor. Can’t wait to built memories as sweet as yours in our new home!

Nicole
    November 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm

If you need to do any home improvement projects- do them in steps. I have owned a home for a few years now and I have remodeled each bathroom- one at a time. Decide which area/room is most important and do that one first. I agree with everyone else- buy quality pieces and dont worry about filling up the house, you have the rest of your life to do that. mix and match your style with Brian and most importantly have fun!! Good luck!!

November 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for your tips Nicole—I SO appreciate it, as I’m clearly new at this :)