life

What I’m Reading This Month

January 7, 2016

This month I’m mixing it up with one fiction book and one nonfiction book. One thing Brian and I have started doing intentionally lately is setting aside 10-30 minutes at night before bed to just read for pleasure. It’s not only making our evenings much more relaxing, but it’s also helping me tackle my ever-growing “must-read” list. Win-win!

The Martian by Andy Weir
I honestly didn’t ever plan to read this book until last weekend when I had my mind set on renting the movie to watch with Brian. That is, until I realized it wasn’t coming out for rent until the 12th. I was so captivated by the story, I decided to download the book onto my Kindle and haven’t put it down since. It’s a bit slow at the beginning because it’s basically just the main character’s journal logs and it’s pretty science-y, but I seriously am hooked now. Hoping to finish it by the weekend!

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Written by a a young neurosurgeon faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis (who also happens to be Joanna Goddard’s brother in law), this memoir attempts to answer the question What makes a life worth living? I admit, I’m a little nervous to read it—I cried when reading Joanna’s blog post, so clearly I should read the book with a box of tissues next to me. But I do think that it’s going to be a good read and one that will provide a good perspective on living life to the fullest. It comes out January 12th but is available for pre-order now. I ordered it and am planning to dive right in as soon as I’m done with The Martian.

What are you reading (or planning to read) this month?

You Might Also Like

• Reply Victoria B January 7, 2016 at 7:27 am

I LOVED the Martian. It was the best book I have read in years. I devoured it in a week. I’m glad you are enjoying it. I appreciated the science due to my Biology background since it is quite realistic. Such a good book. And definitely check out the movie after. I will have to check out that book from Joanna’s brother in law. It sounds so beautiful and heartbreaking.

• Reply AshleyL January 7, 2016 at 7:35 am

Have you read girl on the train? It’s so good!

• Reply Natalie Borton January 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Not yet, but I’m thinking about reading it next month!

• Reply jamie January 7, 2016 at 10:27 am

Loved The Martian! I am reading “My Brilliant Friend” which is so far so good.

• Reply Joanna January 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I’m reading “Playing Big” by Tara Mohr and “Intuitive Eating.”

• Reply Alys | A Girl Who Reads January 8, 2016 at 5:21 am

Love, love, love The Martian!

• Reply Caitlin Kruse January 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Oh gosh, I want to read Paul’s book so much but don’t think I can bring myself to do it!!!! I like your nightly routine, may have to make that happen this year :)

• Reply Natalie Borton January 11, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I will be reading it with a box of tissues at my side, that’s for sure! And as far as the nightly routine goes, I highly recommend it! It’s been such an easy way to add more reading into my life.

• Reply Jennifer H January 13, 2016 at 11:46 am

I feel like I keep coming across book rec. blog posts and I love it! I posted some of my recent books here (http://ahealyhome.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-im-reading-lately.html) but this month on my list is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I’ve read some really good books lately!