life

The Season of Lent

March 5, 2014

Today is Ash Wednesday, which some of you may know marks the beginning of the season of Lent, a 40-day period of time before Easter. Growing up with a Catholic background, Lent was always a big deal in my family and something we observed every year before Easter.

When I was younger, I often gave up things, like candy or chocolate or a bad habit. But as I’ve gotten older, I find I lean toward adding things to my life that bring me nearer to Jesus in some way, helping me to better grasp the significance of Easter for my faith.

As much as I hate to admit it, I’ve lost touch with my habit of reading the bible and praying regularly. Lately, it seems to be something I do when I feel like it, not something I create time for each day. So, for Lent this year I’m keeping it simple and dedicating time each day to getting back into that habit. After all, how can my heart be prepared for Easter if I’m not spending time with God regularly?

It’s such a simple thing to start the day spending time with God, and it can look so different for everyone. For me, I plan to sit down with my bible and journal, reading and writing out my prayers because that’s how I pray most authentically. I’m eager to see what will come from this season and will be sure to update you all on how everything went once Easter rolls around.

Do you observe lent? What will you add or take away from your life this season to prepare your heart for Easter?

You Might Also Like

• Reply Lisa March 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

A few years ago, my husband and I decided that it would be good to ‘add’ something of importance to the season rather than only giving something up. Our children spend a lot if time deciding what they are going to do. My favorite this year is from my youngest who plans to ‘speak with more appropriate language and to be more helpful.’ His words, not mine.

• Reply Jessica March 5, 2014 at 8:28 am

I love this! I have always hated giving up something for Lent because I have never really felt that it brings me closer to Jesus. I love the idea of committing to a regular devo time and prayer. I too write out my prayers in my journal! Bloggers think alike ;)

• Reply Natalie Lynn Borton March 5, 2014 at 8:36 am

Yes! I’ve been writing out my prayers since high school—it just makes so much more sense to me, and I feel like I’m more able to focus on my prayers when they’re written. Plus, it’s fun to look back at my old journals and see a record of it all over the years.

• Reply Urban Wife March 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

I love the idea of adding rather than taking away! I’m also making intentional time (for me, it’s during nap time) to just sit, pray and read my Bible. I’m using Naptime Diaries ’40 days with Jesus’ as a journal/scripture reference.

• Reply Charlotte March 5, 2014 at 9:52 am

Thank you for this post! I have never participated in Lent, but reading this concept about adding something really resonated with me. In this busy season of life (a wedding and graduating from university in the same month!) I have fallen out of reading my Bible and praying regularly. Like you, I hope to re-instate these elements!

• Reply Jenny March 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing this, Natalie! I made the exact same commitment – to read my Bible with my journal open to take notes and write out my prayers. Lately it has been so easy for me to simply read the words on the pages or skim a devotional without letting the words actually penetrate my heart or translate into actions and truths to live out in my life. While it is humbling to be “beginning” again, I have much anticipation for what this season of Lent will do in my heart and for my relationship with God! Blessings to you :)

• Reply Natalie Lynn Borton March 6, 2014 at 7:52 am

Oh I totally feel you—being at the beginning again is so tough and humbling for sure. But it’s better to get back into it than for us to abandon it altogether. Excited for what this season of Lent brings to your life!