14 In style

Casual Chic Neutrals

I’ve been spending a lot of time lately refining my personal style. My view on style is that it is a form of self-expression—not a tool for comparison or vanity. I honestly do not believe that there is even good style and bad style. It’s truly a matter of opinion, and what we choose to wear should always be a reflection of who we are and how we feel, rather than something to get attention or compliments.

Over the past month I’ve realized there are a lot of clothes I’m hanging onto that I don’t really wear and I don’t really love, and it’s gotten me thinking about what it is I do love and what clothes make me feel most like me.

The answer? Neutrals. Lots and lots of neutrals. I’ll write a lot more on this later (specifically, how to create a small, chic, neutral wardrobe that works), but for now I give you a smidgen of inspiration from my closet—simple, cozy, chic and 100% my style—oh, and of course it includes the most perfect cozy sweater. It’s absolutely one of my new wardrobe staples!

Mossimo Open Sweater // J.Crew Facotry Striped Layering V-Neck Tee or LOFT Striped Puff Sleeve 3/4 Sleeve Top // HOBO Sheila Bag // American Eagle Jeggings or Madewell Skinny Skinny Jeans // Merona Kailey Ankle Boot

P.S. Are you into neutral style, too? Check out my Pinterest board, The Neutral Wardrobe, for lots and lots of inspiration!

mary beth
    November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am

Love it all!!! I am a very neutrals kind of girl. :) I need to purchase those AE jeggings…like today. ;)

Sarah Brooke
    November 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

I am right with you on all of this! I just bought those booties last time I was at Target and they are already my favorite.

November 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Right?!? I’m super impressed with them. I was eyeing the Lonny Boots from Madewell (http://bit.ly/1ivzUhv), and the Target ones are SO SIMILAR, but so, so much more affordable. And of course, an awesome staple item to have.

Rebecca
    November 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I am loving everything you’re working on lately! I love seeing it all come together and it is providing some great inspiration!

Christine P
    November 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I’ve slowly been going through a wardrobe overhaul too with the same reasonings you mentioned – I am sure I barely wear half my closet, so trying to take on the task of downsizing and adding pieces I love is exciting! Just takes some work, and money, haha

November 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Definitely a lot of work, but well worth it I think! Good luck with your wardrobe overhaul :)

Maria
    November 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Yay! Can’t wait for the guide on building a neutral wardrobe! Love your style, actually, your self expression ;)

Jacki
    November 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Neutrals all the way! I love your neutral wardrobe pinboard, lots of great inspiration. My favorite fall/winter staples are skinny jeans, boots, and cozy layers. Usually if I’m going to use a bright color it’s a scarf so I can get lots more wear out of my neutral basics. Having a well edited wardrobe is key and that’s one of my current challenges! It’s been a process over the last year or so and I’m still refining. One item I want to purchase this year is a pair of neutral booties. I also love that Target sweater you posted :)

November 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Totally agree with you on using scarves as a way to add color—they’re inexpensive and easy to switch out by season. SO glad you’re enjoying the pinboard!

Andrea
    November 21, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Great style board! As a fellow blogger, can I ask how you create the mood boards? They are so clean and simple!