17 In beauty/ style

“The New Long” | My Fall Haircut

img_3654

I did it. I cut my hair!! The thought of it was scary but once she took the first snip I know I was making the right choice. It feels so much healthier and thicker, which is exactly what I was hoping for. My stylist said she recently attended a class where they called this cut “The New Long” because everyone is doing it and it’s so modern and versatile, so that made me feel even better about it.

Today my stylist Kristin is sharing all of the details on the consult, cut and color that landed me with my new look for fall…

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset Processed with VSCO with a6 preset Processed with VSCO with a6 presetBEFORE: Stringy, dead and straw-like. And very overdue for color!

The Consultation
When talking to Natalie about her big hair change we had two main goals:

1. To get her hair as healthy possible
2. To make sure it still had a “cool” look and feel.

Overall, we wanted a mid length haircut that was still chic and effortless and we also wanted to brighten up her blonde.

The Color
For Natalie’s color we wanted to keep that same effortless look but brighten up the blonde a little. I did a partial highlight where I alternated foils of lightener and high lift, every other foil.  Every 3rd foil I pulled the color through to the ends with lightener + 20vol and Olaplex.* I also put Olaplex #2 on the hair that was left out of the foils, specifically the front pieces that needed an extra conditioning treatment. Once processed, I rinsed Natalie’s hair and applied a toner at the bowl.  I used a slightly deeper toner at her roots to give the color a lived in feel and a softer grow out. I also toned her ends with a violet toner, brightening up the overall look.

FORMULA
Highlights:  Redken Up to 7 Lightener + 20vol, Redken El-VV + El-BL double 40vol, Pulled through every 3rd foil: Up to 7 + 20vol + Olaplex
Toner: At Roots- 09Gb+09V+09NB (added a little 07NB to deepen)  At Ends: 09V+clear

Processed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 preset Processed with VSCO with a6 presetAFTER: Healthy, modern and blonde. (Taken in weird lighting at the salon after dark.)

The Haircut
Natalie wanted to bring up the length in the back quite a bit. We used her shorter pieces in the front as a guide and started long (you can always go shorter). We also wanted a slight angle from back to front.

I used scissors to point cut the back of Natalie’s hair, slightly dropping one section longer than the previous creating a small undercut.  We kept Natalie’s existing layers the length they were in the back not going shorter because we wanted an overall one-length feel.  After blow drying and styling Natalie’s hair the way she usually wears it I added more texture to the back of the haircut, specifically on the ends.

We actually cut the length of Natalie’s hair twice before blow drying and curling it and then decided it still needed another inch off the back!  It’s a good idea to style your hair how you will be wearing it so you can see how everything falls.

*Olaplex is a bond reparative treatment for any type of hair that needs extra conditioning from chemicals or heat styling.

Thank you, Kristin, for giving everyone the scoop and for making my hair look even better than I imagined! Here’s Kristin’s booking info for locals:

Kristin Schulte
Station Salon
345 S Coast Hwy 101 Suite Q
Encinitas CA 92024

colleen
    October 19, 2016 at 6:55 am

Natalie, your hair looks phenomenal! Such a good choice and your stylist Kristin clearly knows what she’s doing! Such a gorgeous result.

XO

Jess
    October 19, 2016 at 8:56 am

Your hair looks incredible! Do you mind if I ask how you curl it? Do you use a wand or a regular curling iron?

October 19, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Jess! At the salon Kristin styled it with a curling wand and a flat iron to mix up the waves, but at home I’ve been air drying it to bring out my natural wave, then making it look a little more polished with a few flat iron waves. I’m planning to do a tutorial!

Irene
        October 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Oooo looking forward to this tutorial! I’m always looking for ways to style my hair.

Kat
        November 10, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Oooh! We are hair twins! I just cut 8″ off (the *new* long indeed!) for a very similar look. I don’t have as much natural wave as you do, but I’d love to see how you’re styling your new cut. Love it!

Jenna
        November 14, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Natalie, I did a similar cut with my hair recently and also have been loving it! I have a similar texture to my hair but feel like I have a hard time styling it. I searched your blog high and low. Did you ever end up posting a tutorial? Your hair looks very healthy, and natural!

November 15, 2016 at 8:49 am

I haven’t posted it yet, but am planning to do it before the end of the month! Just need to create some time to film it, haha. But the basic concept is that I air dry it, spray it with Hairstory’s Undressed spray and R+Co Prep spray, use a flat iron to do the curls (leaving the ends out or straightening them at the end) and then finish with Living Proof’s Full Dry Volume Blast ;)

Emily
    October 19, 2016 at 10:09 am

Gorgeous!!! I’m doing the same – I want to brighten up! Also, my BFF is at Bombshell in your area her name is Rain Hartman.

October 19, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Yay! I’m loving the cut and color so much. I’m sure you’ll love it too!

Leslie
    October 19, 2016 at 10:18 am

Oh man, it’s absolutely lovely. The brighter blonde goes perfectly with the new cut!

October 19, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Thank you! I thought more blonde would keep it feeling fresh and modern. I love it!

Marci Lundy
    October 19, 2016 at 9:30 pm

The cut and color are wonderful on you!

Sarah
    October 20, 2016 at 6:23 am

It looks so good! From someone who can’t manage to grow out a pixie (but trying again…), it’s still really long!

Alison
    October 25, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Love it! What styling products do you use?

frédérique
    October 28, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Looks great! Kristin really is the best, I can’t wait to book an other appointment with her! Thanks again for recommending her!