18 In style

Fitting Room Files | Madewell, October 2016

I’m starting a new series based on this post I loved from Crystalin Marie. It was casual and direct and informative, and one that will be fun to create because it means going to my favorite stores and showing you my favorite new items. I hope you like it. Although I’m starting with Madewell today (my favorite!), I do plan to do other stores I love, including Anthropologie, J.Crew, Loft, and Old Navy.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Zip-Front Dress in Buffalo Sketch, $128 // I was drawn to this immediately because of the shape and pattern. It’s has a cocoon silhouette that is incredibly flattering and cool. And although I’m not nursing right now, I do plan to eventually have another kid and this dress will be pretty perfect for those postpartum days.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Bell-Sleeve Top, $79.50 // This one is for any of you who have a Madewell store nearby, as it’s sold out on the website but definitely still in some stores. I love that it has a tailored fit in the shoulders (rather than slouchy, which is the case for a lot of tops from Madewell), and the bell sleeves are just so dreamy.

Silk Faux-Wrap Skirt in Dot Scatter, $59.99 // This had a really flirty, feminine fit that paired well with the bell-sleeve top, and would really go well with almost anything. I could see it transitioning to fall and winter easily with tights and boots and making a great option for holiday parties. It fits true to size, and has an a-line cut.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Landward Sleeveless Sweater, $78 // On the website they have this styled over a shirt, which could work in cooler weather, but I love it as-is. It’s a perfect sweater for Southern California, when it never really gets too cold and we’re eager to wear something knit and cozy-looking. It has a boxy fit with larger armholes, and is pretty true to size. I tried on an XS and S and went with the larger size for a more relaxed fit to wear with skinny jeans.

9″ High-Rise Skinny Sateen Jeans, $128 // I have to say, these are the most comfortable jeans I’ve ever worn. And so, so flattering and sexy! The only reason I didn’t buy them right then and there was because I already have a pair of high rise black skinny jeans and it felt a little excessive. Fit-wise, the gals at the store told me you’ll want to size down because they will bag out more than their usual denim.

What do you think? Do you like the idea for this series? Were there any details you were hoping for that I left out (i.e. more sizing/fabric/care details/etc)?

P.S. I’m wearing the Mayla Sandals in every picture because they’re what I wore to the store that day! I’ve owned them all summer long and wear all the time. They really are the perfect heeled sandal and I can’t recommend them enough! They’re sold out in every size except 10 on the website, but if you can find them at your local store or from another retailer I’d snag them if I were you ;)

heather j
    October 26, 2016 at 6:11 am

Love this! Hi, Sugarplum blog does this too and I love finding pieces I wouldn’t have otherwise. Also, did you see that madewell has a loyalty program. Lots of perks, especially for someone like you who shops there a lot. :) Excited to this series.

Michelle
    October 26, 2016 at 9:54 am

Love this, too! Does the zip-front dress run true to size? Will you still be doing your Legit Mom Style series?

October 27, 2016 at 9:25 am

Yep! I went with my normal Madewell size for this, though it does have a naturally looser fit since it’s more of a cocoon style dress. And yes, I promise that series is coming back as soon as I stop wearing athletic clothes and pajamas around the house while we’re getting unpacked and organized, haha.

Sarah
    October 26, 2016 at 10:06 am

I love this series! I miss the Legit Mom Style series (don’t worry, I also follow along on IG, so I can see your pairings there!). I’d love to see how the dressing room style corresponds to pieces you already own – mix and match.

October 27, 2016 at 9:24 am

I promise the Legit Mom Style series isn’t gone forever—just on a little break since we moved and I’ve mostly worn the same athletic clothes every day around the house while unpacking and getting organized, haha.

Ruthie
    October 26, 2016 at 11:06 am

that top dress is on my wishlist now for after baby comes :)

October 27, 2016 at 9:24 am

Yes! It’s PERFECT for the postpartum days. My friend Courtney just had a baby and snagged it, too—that zipper is made for new mamas, haha.

Ashley
    October 26, 2016 at 11:44 am

Love this series and excited for more! Also, I love that all of your styles are so relatable…kind of how fashion blogging was before it became nothing but sponsored posts. It’s great knowing what you actually like and would wear because you love it (not because you were paid to pick something out from that brand). Your style is awesome and thank you for providing us with such fun content!

October 27, 2016 at 9:22 am

Ahhh, thank you! Sometimes I feel like these posts aren’t professional enough so it’s good to hear that the non-professional vibe is actually a good thing :)

Melanie
    October 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

im wondering if the zip dress is true to size also, LOVE this series!! xo

October 27, 2016 at 9:23 am

Yes, it’s true to size and has a naturally looser fit.

Emily
    October 28, 2016 at 6:09 am

Love this post! Excited to see what you pick out at Anthro!!!

October 31, 2016 at 7:46 am

Thanks Emily! That’s definitely the next fitting room trip I’m planning :)

Jess
    October 28, 2016 at 11:26 am

I LOVED this post! I admire your style and your clothing choices are actually affordable.

Ali Ostrin
    October 29, 2016 at 9:27 am

I love your blog and having inspiration for clothes is wonderful! Thank you and I look forward to seeing more style posts!