25 In beauty/ style

Considering a Cut

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

I’ve shared before about my hair woes, and I’ve definitely enjoyed the clip-in extensions I got earlier this year for quick and easy braids. I’ve switched to better hair products, used less bleach for my highlights, bumped up my vitamin and fresh produce intake, and brushed my hair daily with good bristle brushes to distribute the oils and my hair is still nowhere near looking or feeling healthy. I used to have mermaid hair, people!! What happened?!

Hormones. I think hormones happened and I’m starting to wonder if maybe this is just the way my hair is now? So, I’ve started to ponder a change—the mid-length, cool-girl wave. Slightly angled, possibly a little blonder and a lot more chic than my dead, dry, sad wanna-be-long hair. I, of course, am fearful of it looking like a little-girl haircut, but I also think my hair’s current state is pretty dire and a big chop might be just what it needs to get healthier and have a restart. Styling and color would be my best friends to ensure it felt modern.

These are a few women inspiring the cut…

Cupcakes and Cashmere‘s Emily Schuman has a pretty perfect cut, and I love the way she styles and colors it to give it that effortless feel. I love the idea of something really similar, but maybe an inch or so longer since my face shape is a bit rounder than hers.

cc-hair

Take Aim‘s Michelle Madsen’s hair has long been something I’ve envied. She totally is nailing the grown-out bob look and her messy waves are dreamy. I’d want something a little brighter color-wise, but am so into the cut and styling. I really love that it has a slight angling to it, making the front longer than the back.

takeaim-hair

Lastly—don’t judge!!—my top hair inspiration is actually Kristin Cavallari. It’s blonde, effortless and not too short. I also feel like our face shapes are more similar than the other two who are inspiring me, which gives me more confidence in the cut. In fact, her photos are the ones I’m showing my stylist assuming I go through with this at my appointment next week.

kc-hair

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Or do I need to take the plunge and give my unhealthy hair a chop to help it recover (as well as give myself an edgier look for a season)?

Nancy
    October 7, 2016 at 7:07 am

Do it. You’ll probably feel like “what have I done” for first few days but I think mermaid hair is long gone as a trend and blunt cuts make people look much more chic! I chopped my hair after my baby, my hair texture was definitely different post baby but after I chopped it it seems to have gotten back to its normal texture and now I don’t think I’ll ever grow it long again. Plus , it’s hair, it will grow back. Keep repeating that to yourself :)

Sarah
    October 7, 2016 at 7:12 am

I love these hair styles and think you should totally go for it! I think the 2nd or 3rd style will look amazing on you. I am calling my stylist today to schedule and appointment and you’ve inspired me to go for a similar change as well. I’ve been growing my hair out for years now but I need a change and I think now is a good time :)

Kari
    October 7, 2016 at 7:58 am

I think it will look amazing on your! They all still feel and look long, but will help with the damage. I had to cut 9 inches off my hair (its a stacked bobbed now) and it was a huge change. I tried everything to make my long, fine hair look better and more healthy, but it was a losing battle. I will grow it out again but it feels amazing now and is so incredibly healthy and bouncy. Highly recommend making the cut! I’d also love to see how you style it!

Laura
    October 7, 2016 at 8:49 am

I love it! You can totally pull off that length and I’m sure your hair will feel so much healthier after a cut!! Can’t wait to see the results!

Courtney
    October 7, 2016 at 9:42 am

Go for it! I think the 3rd inspiration will look great on you and it won’t be too drastic of a change. You can always go a bit shorter in the next appointment if the first chop isn’t suiting your needs. I had super long hair that was getting really damaged looking and scraggly. I took a risk by getting a lob cut a year ago and I LOVED how much healthier my hair felt and looked. For the first few weeks after the cut, I wouldn’t even brush my hair some days. Its been over a year now and my hair is already chest length. It was fun while it lasted and I’m back to enjoying (healthier) long hair again.

Gina
    October 7, 2016 at 9:47 am

Hey Natalie! I have super long hair too, and it is so so hard to cut it when it has always been long. I don’t think long hair ever goes out of style, it is always sort of a statement. When it’s healthy, it is stunning. I think the styles you’ve shown above would all look amazing on you, and it would give you a fresh start. You could always grow it out again.
    I totally understand how tough it is tho, to make that step.
    I wrote a post about my hair care regimen (requested by readers) that may help with some tips. http://www.classyeverafterblog.com/2016/05/hair-for-days-my-tried-true-tips-for.html
    Best of luck with your decision, and I can’t wait to see what you decide!
    XO,Gina

jillian
    October 7, 2016 at 9:54 am

i love shoulder length hair! xo jillian

Esther
    October 7, 2016 at 10:07 am

I LOVE Kristin Cavallari for hair inspiration, too! I chopped over 9″ off after my first boy and have tried growing it out after my second… it looks like I’a going back for another chop. Hormones definitely changed my hair and I feel that for myself, a shorter, more chic lob is what helps me look polished. I say go for it! You can always throw your extensions in when you feel like you need some length for date night, a wedding, etc.

Alicia
    October 7, 2016 at 10:09 am

DO IT! I have always envied Kristin Cavallari’s hair and think that look would be great on you! I’m at the hair salon now getting a chop for fall. I’m so excited for the change and healthier hair!

Leslie
    October 7, 2016 at 10:13 am

Oh, you should definitely do it! Kristin Cavallari’s cut would look fantastic on you. Plus you never know, a nice big cut might be the thing your hair needs to grow back healthier. It always does the trick for my hair when I finally cave and cut off my frazzled ends.

Victoria B
    October 7, 2016 at 10:24 am

Like everyone before me, I think you should do it. It’s only hair and it will help cut off the dry dead ends and bring health back to your hair. It will look so cute on you too! Can’t wait to see it!

morgan
    October 7, 2016 at 10:25 am

I did this recently and absolutely loved it! I started with a long bob (funnily enough – used this as inspo http://www.byrdie.com/kristin-cavallari-new-haircut-short/slide12)

It’s so fun and so chic! Plus, if you have your extensions, you don’t have to miss your longer hair for too long!

October 7, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Ha! Yes I totally looked at that article this past week. Her hair is so, so good!

Alison
    October 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

DO.IT.
    I am personally a short hair girl (I have more of a pixie cut) and am a firm believer that hair GROWS. Life is too short to get stuck in the long hair forever syndrome. I think a shorter cut instantly adds sophistication. Plus, if you’re unhappy with your hair now, you really have nothing to lose!
    And finally, you’re beautiful. SO it’s actually IMPOSSIBLE for it to look bad.
    Chop Chop!

Jesse
    October 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Go for it! I love having mone shorter. Ot makes me do my haor more often and I feel more pulled together.

Emily
    October 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I love the inspiration here and think this kind of cut and color would look so fresh and fun on you! I say go for it! If it ends up you hate it, all you have to do is grow it back out. It’s just hair. It’s not gone forever.

Elizabeth
    October 7, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I did the mom Lon after my son was born and wish I had done more of a Kristin cut. It would definitely look GREAT on you!

Elizabeth
    October 7, 2016 at 4:06 pm

^ lob* not Lon… errors of commenting while nursing! #motherhood

Jillian B
    October 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I love these cuts! Do it! I took the leap a couple years ago and cut my hair into a super short pixie (like Michelle Williams short). I literally walked into the salon and my longtime stylist chopped over a foot of hair off. It was something I had wanted to do for years…and I’m so glad I did. I rocked that pixie for over a year. Never in my life have more strangers stopped me to ask about or admire my hair. For the first time in my life, I felt super confident and liberated. People often remarked that it was “brave” of me to do it. It took chopping my hair off for me to realize that all these qualities existed within me. Now, two years later, I’ve grown my hair into a blunt lob that hits just below my collarbone. (Yes, my hair grows super fast.) Long story short, it’s hair. It will grow back. And you might just learn something about yourself along the way.

October 8, 2016 at 8:43 am

I love that!! Sounds like the cut liberated you so much—I hope it does the same for me!

Kristen
    October 7, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Yes do it! It will be perfect new house…new sassy hair

Kristen
    October 7, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Totally do it… New hair..new house….go with 2 or 3 for sure

Paige
    October 8, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Do it!! I am a huge fan of short hair and I think the long, tousled bob it such an updated, modern style. It will look great on you!

danielle
    October 11, 2016 at 10:16 am

Kristin Cavallari is awesome..why would anyone judge that!!

Kaitlin
    October 13, 2016 at 2:47 pm

What type of brush did you switch to?