11 In style

Legit Mom Style: No-Fail Summer Outfit

IMG_6130Dress + shirt around the waist + sandals (or flats).

It’s the formula I’ve been sticking to on most of the hot days this summer and let me tell you, it works every time. Now that I’ve identified this pattern, I realize I’ve been wearing some version of the same outfit over and over and over again for the past year…

img_0489Sonnet James play dress (hemmed) + J.Crew Chambray + Sam Edelman sandals

DSC_1056Madewell shirtdress + J.Crew Chambray + Target ankle strap sandals (and a hat!)

#legitmomstyleSonnet James play dress + J.Crew gingham shirt + Sam Edelman sandals

IMG_0432Madewell shirtdress + J.Crew Chambray + perforated flats

One thing I really love about this formula is that a lot of different dress styles work with it. As you can see, sometimes I wear a swing dress (usually on the hottest days because they’re breezy!), sometimes I wear a shirtdress (my favorite are from Madewell, of course!) and other times I sport my Sonnet James play dresses. I usually rely on my trusty chambray as my shirt of choice, but I’ve also dabbled in using my black gingham shirt and it often does the trick. And of course, accessories are always bonus points—add a hat, a necklace, and/or a bag to round it all out.

Have you tried this look? Do you have a no-fail mom outfit for summer?

Shop Dresses

Lauren
    August 2, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I keep noticing these sonnet James dresses! How do you feel they fit? I’m 5’3 so I’m wondering about the length. Thanks!

August 2, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Great question. For reference, I’m 5’4″ so they would fit you similarly. I like some of them the longer length, but have hemmed two of mine to hit above the knee. Definitely recommend them!!

Erin Fish
        August 3, 2016 at 10:04 am

Would you mind sharing what size you get int he Sonnet James dress? Thinking of buying one today!

August 3, 2016 at 1:39 pm

The striped one I got is an extra small and the grey one is a small. For the thicker fabric ones, I think I prefer the small, but the thinner fabric ones I have (Piper, Charlie) I got in extra small and love the tighter fit.

Alysa
    August 2, 2016 at 5:57 pm

you look so chic! love it :)

Lisa
    August 2, 2016 at 8:55 pm

You look adorable! I am working on getting my ‘mom style’ on, but everything still has to be breastfeeding friendly, which is such a pain! — Lisa | Naptime Chai

Elsa
    August 3, 2016 at 4:41 am

I love this series. It’s so honest and beautiful. This formula is a total win. XO

Laura
    September 24, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Do you mind telling me what size you are wearing for the Madewell courier dress in stripe?