18 In wellness

My Apple Cider Vinegar Drink

My Apple Cider Vinegar Drink | Thoughts By Natalie

I admittedly don’t blog about wellness nearly as much as I used to, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t still have a little health nut inside me. This post is a perfect example of that, and I have a feeling a lot of you are going to be curious to try this drink I’ve been sipping on lately…

It all started when my friend Madison shared a video about this apple cider vinegar drink she started drinking. I didn’t know much about the benefits of apple cider vinegar (other than the fact that you can use it as a hair rinse!), but her video intrigued me and after watching the whole thing, I decided to give it a try the drink myself. I was so worried it was going to taste awful, but I instantly loved it! It has a kind of tangy, fermented taste to it—if you like Kombucha, this is right up your alley. If you’re super nervous about trying this, just add a little bit more sparkling water and stevia to make it more palatable until you’re used to it.

Anyway, since a lot of people have asked about the drink since I first mentioned it on my Instagram story, I wanted to share the recipe I use (100% adapted from Madison’s recipe!), along with benefits to drinking it daily.

Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe

1-2 tablespoons raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (I like Bragg’s, which you can get at Target)
12-16 ounces lime sparkling water
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2-3 drops of stevia
Ice, if desired

Just mix all of the ingredients together in a pitcher or a large cup (I use one of the big Tervis cups like this) and sip on it throughout the day!

Now, the benefits…

• Keeps blood sugar in check
  • Probiotic
  • Helps maintain a healthy weight
  • Helps heartburn and acid reflux
  • Full of antioxidants
  • Improves nutrient absorption
  • Keeps sinuses clear
  • Boosts energy
  • Keeps breath fresh (by killing nasty mouth bacteria)

Before you get overly ambitious and start drinking vinegar by the gallon, you should know that drinking too much of it can actually have a negative impact on your body, so don’t drink more than 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day. Apparently that’s too much for the body and most of the resources I used to gather this information suggested that 2 tablespoons is a healthy limit. Also, to protect your teeth from any erosion that can be caused by vinegar, rinse your mouth with water and/or brush your teeth after drinking it.

What do you think? Would you try this? Or is everyone already drinking it and I’m way late to the party?

(Sources: 1 / 2 / 3)

Cathrin Figur
    August 22, 2016 at 9:21 am

I love your blog and think it’s too bad, you don’t ship to Germany! Regarding your latest post I would recommend waiting at least half an hour before you brush your teeth! If you don’t wait, you demineralize the enamel of your teeth! This applies to any food or drink which contains a lot of acid. Cathrin

Kaolee
    August 22, 2016 at 10:18 am

I have some apple cider vinegar that I’ve had for years (and it’s probably bad now), but I’ll have to try this after my baby comes (since I try not to try too many new things with heart burn and all).

August 22, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I have read that it actually can help alleviate heart burn, so it may be worth a try now if you’re curious!

Lara Bogaard
    August 22, 2016 at 10:29 am

totally been addicted to this since you posted on your IG story!!! I love your wellness posts and look forward to them even if they are a little less frequent :)

Lisa
    August 22, 2016 at 11:52 am

Since your IG post, I’ve been drinking this daily! Addicted from the first sip!

Ann
    August 22, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Delish! Just tried it and all I had was a grapefruit lacroix and happy to say it worked well :) I also make jewelry and I’m a fellow mom to toddler(s). Love your blog and insta posts, keep up the good work!

Katelyn Olson
    August 22, 2016 at 3:07 pm

I have been drinking this daily since I watched your first Instagram story where you referenced Madison. I watched the video she had posted, went out and got everything I needed to make it that weekend, and I am hooked. I make it in the morning and just sip on it all day at work. Thanks for making me aware of this amazing drink!

August 25, 2016 at 11:27 am

I did the same thing when I saw Madison’s video! Haha. So good!

Cathy
    August 29, 2016 at 8:14 am

Hi Natalie. Thanks for sharing. I immediately made this drink after reading this post and you’re right it tastes very similarly to Kombucha. Just a quick question – do you consume this entire recipe on one day or do you space it out to two or three? I know that with kombucha sometimes they only recommend drinking half of the bottle for one day. Thanks!

August 29, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I drink the entire recipe daily (usually), which—according to my Internet research—is safe and healthy as long as you don’t use more than 2 tablespoons of ACV! That being said, if you’re concerned at all it’s never a bad idea to chat with your doctor ;)

Cathy
        August 30, 2016 at 9:24 am

Thanks Natalie. I share it with my husband. It’s just right. :) just want to say that this kind of posts is so genuine and authentic. I noticed and love that you don’t write a post just for sake of having content. Your Buddha bowl is still my staple by the way. I mean I modify but you did introduce me to the idea of Buddha bowl!

August 31, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Thank you for your kind words!!! They go a long way :)

Haylee
    September 5, 2016 at 6:05 am

This may be a silly question, but if you are sipping on it throughout the day how do you rinse/brush your teeth to protect them? I can understand if you drink it in the morning then rinse/brush-but if it’s all day it seems like you couldn’t protect your teeth.

September 5, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I personally drink mine in the afternoon and rinse with plain water when I’m done drinking it. But I guess if I were going to drink it all over the course of the day I’d plan to rinse and brush midday, too?

Valerie Keinsley
    September 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Definitely going to try this! ACV was my lifesaver for heartburn during pregnancy. Towards the end of my pregnancy I couldn’t lay flat without feeling horrible. 1 tablespoon of ACV downed like a shot right before bed worked WONDERS!