15 In beauty/ style

Hairstory

IMG_1533

At the beginning of the summer, I shared a bit about my personal hair journey and all of the “hair woes” I’ve experienced since pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc. In a nutshell, my hormones and diet of course played a big role, but I also relied too heavily on my curling wand to hide how bad my hair looked and was using all kinds of products that weren’t doing me many favors.

When I wrote the post, I shared some of my feelings on Snapchat and instantly got a message from someone suggesting that I look into Hairstory products. Since I’m a sucker for anything that will make my hair better, I immediately googled them and placed an order for two products that I have been using for a full month and have become obsessed with…

New Wash, $40

About the product: New Wash is an all-in-one cleansing solution completely free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), better known as
detergent. SLS is terrible for your hair, but it’s in all of the shampoo most of us use and is also what forces us to end up using conditioner. We end up in a cycle of over-washing, and re-hydrating and our hair never gets to be its beautiful, natural self. New Wash does the job of both shampoo and conditioner and balances every type of hair with essential oils that distinguish between the good and the bad, only removing what is necessary. Bonus: absolutely no conditioner needed. For real.

My thoughts: If you’ve ever used a cream cleanser/cleansing cream, this has the same feel as those products (minus the detergent!). It’s thick and creamy and doesn’t lather—it feels like you’re putting conditioner on your scalp, even though it’s a cleansing product. The key is really working it into the scalp and hair, and then letting it sit for a bit before washing it out well. For everyone out there who thinks, I could never go without conditioner!!!, I swear you do not need it with this product. With long, fine, wavy hair, my hair is incredibly tangle-prone, but I have not used conditioner in over a month and my hair looks and feels healthier than ever.

Undressed, $38

About the product: It all started with a French word—Déshabillé—which translates to “undressed.” This product is a modern take on surf spray, allowing you to create soft, effortless texture. To use it, you just spray on damp or dry hair—the more you spray the more you’ll see the effect.

My thoughts: This has replaced my daily surf spray/salt spray habit and I love to layer it on. With hair that’s fine and naturally a bit wavy, I like to create more volume by enhancing my waves. That has historically required texture sprays, which give lots of volume but leave my fine hair feeling a little gross or too stiff. This product has really solved the problem for me—along with the use of New Wash, it promotes my natural wave patterns but leaves my hair feeling soft and flexible (and not looking dirty or too dry). I usually comb out my hair after a shower, then spray this product on to let my hair air dry with it in. Once my hair is dry or almost dry, I spray a bit more on to finish my look, and also keep a small bottle of it stashed in my purse for touch-ups if I so desire.

Has anyone else tried these products? Or are you curious and have questions?

Caitlin
    August 24, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I couldn’t wait for your post and ordered some Monday, they should be in by tomorrow and I haven’t washed my freshly highlighted hair since ordering! Your hair has looked incredibly healthy since you’ve been using it. Do you notice a difference in the health of your hair?

August 25, 2016 at 11:26 am

So glad you think it looks healthier, because it definitely feels that way! My natural texture is coming through more and more thanks to the New Wash and the Undressed spray, and I feel like my hair is much less dry than it always has been with traditional products.

Caitlin
    August 25, 2016 at 5:08 am

Ok, a few more questions I thought of…
    I usually use a purple shampoo to help with brassiness of my blonde–would I be able to forgo that now? And, I know you have been doing heatless styling this summer, as have I, but I go back to work on Monday and will probably add some waves with a curling wand–do the products offer heat protection?

Jenna @ Little Tomboy
      August 25, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I have the same question about brassiness! I’m super interested in the products, but my hair is dyed platinum blonde.

Meredith
      September 9, 2016 at 7:07 am

Same question for me! I have been having similar hair woes and these products sound amazing, but i am worried about my color. Thanks!! :)

September 9, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Hmmm, not sure about that one! I personally don’t use a purple shampoo since my blonde is more of a honey shade than an ash shade—perhaps message the Hairstory people directly?

kelly
    August 25, 2016 at 8:29 am

what is your snapchat?

August 25, 2016 at 11:24 am

It’s natalie.borton, though I’m mostly just doing Instagram Stories now!

Joey
    August 25, 2016 at 8:44 am

Have you noticed a difference in your hair? I am always looking for better solutions for my hair. These products look awesome but are a little pricey. Would you say that this something that you are going to stick with long term? I guess what I am really asking is how big of a difference has it made for you.

August 25, 2016 at 11:24 am

Yes!! Huge difference in my hair. And I don’t plan to switch back to the old products!!

Melissa
    August 25, 2016 at 7:12 pm

I’ve been using New Wash for six months and I don’t think I will ever use regular shampoo again. $40 is pricey but if you get the $90 Fan Club you get more bang for your buck. The 20oz Fan Club size last me over three months for medium length hair that I wash a couple of times a week, and I’m generous with the product. I like Undressed too, but for me Hair Balm is a styling dream. Their site hairstory.com has lots of videos on their philosophy, which I watched all of them before taking a leap and buying the line. Also, their studio is diverse – women of color, all ages, etc. I dig their whole vibe.

Tiffany
    August 27, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Your hair is so pretty! Would you say that you only use the new wash and undressed at this point? I love the idea of only using two or even three products. I currently have a huge product graveyard, which is not helping me achieve a minimalist lifestyle. Is your hair dry at all?

Tiffany
    August 27, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Also, I forgot to ask…had you ever tried other brands of conditioning cleansers? I’m wondering how cheaper brands compare to New Wash. I don’t know why, but I’ve always been more inclined to spend more on products than shampoo/conditioner.

Kimberly
    August 28, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Thank you so much for sharing about this product…it almost looks too good to be true! I am primarily on the fence due to the price point, since there is so little product for the cost. I know it depends on the length of your hair, but about how long does a bottle last for you? From what I read/watched about the New Wash it seems like it would last longer than normal because you don’t have to use it as frequently.

Gillian
    August 31, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Okay! You have convinced me…my sister loves their wash, but has thicker hair than I do. I’ve tried multiple cream-style cleansers (including the now scary Wen!) and it didn’t really work out for me. Fingers crossed that this works out!