Happy Weekend: What I Loved This Week

IMG_6798

MY FAVORITE THING THIS WEEK!! :)

So. Many. Good. Printables. I feel organized just looking at them.

Why I’m less keen on the term “girlboss” these days.

Because everyone is talking about Beyonce.

The cutest little boy and service dog pair I ever did see.

Toddlerography with Gwyneth Paltrow.

An awesome resource for people who are considering adoption—I discovered it through Glamour Magazine of all places!!

The camera of the future.

How “reframing” results in happier kids and parents.

Have you shopped the new Sonnet James collection? I totally pre-ordered this one!

New favorite water bottle—I have it in black!

P.S. In case you missed it…

Kelsey
    April 29, 2016 at 11:22 am

Hi, Natalie. I’m a huge fan of your blog. I subscribe to it on Feedly and read every article you post. However, I am unsubscribing after reading the article on Beyonce that you posted. Honestly, I’m not part of the Beyhive and I don’t listen to a ton of pop music in general. But, I found that article to be incredibly offensive to women and people of color. I’m surprised that with all the articles both praising and criticizing Beyonce’s new album that you chose one written by a white male, who espouses the exact same racist and sexist views I’ve been hearing about female and African American artists for decades. Nothing new or interesting there, just hate.

April 29, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Hey Kelsey! I’m so sorry to hear that this one link I shared with someone else’s opinion is causing you to unsubscribe altogether. I shared it as food for thought on female role models, specifically related to her lyrics and her oversexualization, absolutely nothing related to her being a woman of color.

Eeanca
        May 2, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I’m on the same page as Kelsey. Same reaction. I understand that you didn’t write the article, but you did link to & promote a silly, hateful, backward, conservative viewpoint. But, maybe that’s just where you’re coming from, which is your right.

Tim
    April 29, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Hey, Natalie. I am a longtime reader of your blog. I especially look forward to all the interesting links you share every Friday. The bloggers who I follow online all espouse different views, the majority of which are vastly different from my own. While many of them share opinions I may not agree with, I do not unsubscribe from their feeds simply because we may see things differently. With regards to your response to Kelsey, I thought the article was indeed very thought provoking and contained valid points. I would just like to encourage you to continue to stay true to yourself. After all, this is your blog and as a reader, I would expect nothing less.

frédérique
    April 30, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I actually really enjoyed reading the article on Beyoncé. It may have been written by a man but it seemed to be completely in defense of women! I have a daughter and a lot of girl students as well, and I wish that somebody who reached that kind of fame would actually use their status in a positive way instead of trying to please the crowd to make even more money. On a totally different note, Sonnet James dresses are so cute but seem so nursing ‘unfriendly’ . Am I right?

May 1, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Totally with you on the Beyoncé thing ;) As far as Sonnet James goes, some of them are actually nursing friendly! All of the dresses with a scoop neck are easy to scoot down for nursing. According to their FAQ section, the Marni, Stella, Sailor, Daisy, Margot, Liv, Nori and even Piper and Remi dresses are suitable for that. I personally was able to nurse my son while wearing the Piper dress. Hope that helps!

frédérique
        May 13, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Thanks so much on letting me know about the dresses, I recently commented the same thing I just realized ( blaming my mama brain) :) and you answered me twice so nicely! You are the best!

Sarah
      May 3, 2016 at 7:03 am

I agree on this! When I read it, I didn’t feel like it was attacking her race, nor the fact that she was a woman. I thought the entire point of the article was the fact that we are unknowingly letting our children and students listen to music that is glorified as being empowering and righteous, but is anyone actually listening to the lyrics??

Carli
    April 30, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I loved so many of the links you posted!! I thought the Beyonce article was so interesting and the author had some thoughts I have also had. The Toddlerography was hilarious – thank you for that! And the girl boss and reframing articles were so interesting! I just forwarded the reframing one to my husband. :)
    This is one of my favorite posts you do – love it! Thanks :)

Jess
    May 2, 2016 at 8:54 am

That took guts to post that Beyonce article. Thank you for providing a different perspective.

Emily R
    May 2, 2016 at 8:55 am

I really enjoyed the article on Beyonce and found it thought provoking as well. I think we are too quick to idolize strong people, especially pop stars, without thinking more cautiously at the message their music is sending. I love these mash-ups of links you share, but I do have to ask where you got your pjs in the photo used – I love them!

Sarah
    May 3, 2016 at 6:44 am

Hi Natalie! Thanks for posting the article on #girlboss. It really drives me nuts when I see that hashtag with women doing wonderful, great, powerful things – and then destroys it with the term #girlboss. Girl, please. YOU ARE A BOSS. What you are doing doesn’t need validation or extra head pats because you are a girl.