What I’m Reading This Month

This month I’m mixing it up with one fiction book and one nonfiction book. One thing Brian and I have started doing intentionally lately is setting aside 10-30 minutes at night before bed to just read for pleasure. It’s not only making our evenings much more relaxing, but it’s also helping me tackle my ever-growing “must-read” list. Win-win!

The Martian by Andy Weir
I honestly didn’t ever plan to read this book until last weekend when I had my mind set on renting the movie to watch with Brian. That is, until I realized it wasn’t coming out for rent until the 12th. I was so captivated by the story, I decided to download the book onto my Kindle and haven’t put it down since. It’s a bit slow at the beginning because it’s basically just the main character’s journal logs and it’s pretty science-y, but I seriously am hooked now. Hoping to finish it by the weekend!

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Written by a a young neurosurgeon faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis (who also happens to be Joanna Goddard’s brother in law), this memoir attempts to answer the question What makes a life worth living? I admit, I’m a little nervous to read it—I cried when reading Joanna’s blog post, so clearly I should read the book with a box of tissues next to me. But I do think that it’s going to be a good read and one that will provide a good perspective on living life to the fullest. It comes out January 12th but is available for pre-order now. I ordered it and am planning to dive right in as soon as I’m done with The Martian.

What are you reading (or planning to read) this month?

Victoria B
    January 7, 2016 at 7:27 am

I LOVED the Martian. It was the best book I have read in years. I devoured it in a week. I’m glad you are enjoying it. I appreciated the science due to my Biology background since it is quite realistic. Such a good book. And definitely check out the movie after. I will have to check out that book from Joanna’s brother in law. It sounds so beautiful and heartbreaking.

AshleyL
    January 7, 2016 at 7:35 am

Have you read girl on the train? It’s so good!

January 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Not yet, but I’m thinking about reading it next month!

jamie
    January 7, 2016 at 10:27 am

Loved The Martian! I am reading “My Brilliant Friend” which is so far so good.

Joanna
    January 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I’m reading “Playing Big” by Tara Mohr and “Intuitive Eating.”

Alys | A Girl Who Reads
    January 8, 2016 at 5:21 am

Love, love, love The Martian!

Caitlin Kruse
    January 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Oh gosh, I want to read Paul’s book so much but don’t think I can bring myself to do it!!!! I like your nightly routine, may have to make that happen this year :)

January 11, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I will be reading it with a box of tissues at my side, that’s for sure! And as far as the nightly routine goes, I highly recommend it! It’s been such an easy way to add more reading into my life.

Jennifer H
    January 13, 2016 at 11:46 am

I feel like I keep coming across book rec. blog posts and I love it! I posted some of my recent books here (http://ahealyhome.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-im-reading-lately.html) but this month on my list is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I’ve read some really good books lately!

Nicole
    January 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you for these recommendations! I love reading good books, and sometimes spend more time looking for a good book than I do reading them :) If you haven’t read The Nightingale, I highly recommend it. Also, Girl on the Train was a good read too! P.S. I have been reading your blog for quite some time now, and have thoroughly enjoyed it since the first time I laid eyes on it. Keep up the amazing work!

January 19, 2016 at 7:28 am

Just started reading The Girl on the Train and it is good!! Thanks for reading along and for your kind words :)