Thoughts By Natalie
living

What I’m Reading This Month

This month I’m mixing it up with one fiction book and one nonfiction book. One thing Brian and I have started doing intentionally lately is setting aside 10-30 minutes at night before bed to just read for pleasure. It’s not only making our evenings much more relaxing, but it’s also helping me tackle my ever-growing “must-read” list. Win-win!

The Martian by Andy Weir
I honestly didn’t ever plan to read this book until last weekend when I had my mind set on renting the movie to watch with Brian. That is, until I realized it wasn’t coming out for rent until the 12th. I was so captivated by the story, I decided to download the book onto my Kindle and haven’t put it down since. It’s a bit slow at the beginning because it’s basically just the main character’s journal logs and it’s pretty science-y, but I seriously am hooked now. Hoping to finish it by the weekend!

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Written by a a young neurosurgeon faced with a terminal cancer diagnosis (who also happens to be Joanna Goddard’s brother in law), this memoir attempts to answer the question What makes a life worth living? I admit, I’m a little nervous to read it—I cried when reading Joanna’s blog post, so clearly I should read the book with a box of tissues next to me. But I do think that it’s going to be a good read and one that will provide a good perspective on living life to the fullest. It comes out January 12th but is available for pre-order now. I ordered it and am planning to dive right in as soon as I’m done with The Martian.

What are you reading (or planning to read) this month?

You Might Also Like...

Victoria B
    January 7, 2016 at 7:27 am

I LOVED the Martian. It was the best book I have read in years. I devoured it in a week. I’m glad you are enjoying it. I appreciated the science due to my Biology background since it is quite realistic. Such a good book. And definitely check out the movie after. I will have to check out that book from Joanna’s brother in law. It sounds so beautiful and heartbreaking.

AshleyL
    January 7, 2016 at 7:35 am

Have you read girl on the train? It’s so good!

January 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Not yet, but I’m thinking about reading it next month!

jamie
    January 7, 2016 at 10:27 am

Loved The Martian! I am reading “My Brilliant Friend” which is so far so good.

Joanna
    January 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I’m reading “Playing Big” by Tara Mohr and “Intuitive Eating.”

Alys | A Girl Who Reads
    January 8, 2016 at 5:21 am

Love, love, love The Martian!

Caitlin Kruse
    January 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Oh gosh, I want to read Paul’s book so much but don’t think I can bring myself to do it!!!! I like your nightly routine, may have to make that happen this year :)

January 11, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I will be reading it with a box of tissues at my side, that’s for sure! And as far as the nightly routine goes, I highly recommend it! It’s been such an easy way to add more reading into my life.

Jennifer H
    January 13, 2016 at 11:46 am

I feel like I keep coming across book rec. blog posts and I love it! I posted some of my recent books here (http://ahealyhome.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-im-reading-lately.html) but this month on my list is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I’ve read some really good books lately!

Nicole
    January 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you for these recommendations! I love reading good books, and sometimes spend more time looking for a good book than I do reading them :) If you haven’t read The Nightingale, I highly recommend it. Also, Girl on the Train was a good read too! P.S. I have been reading your blog for quite some time now, and have thoroughly enjoyed it since the first time I laid eyes on it. Keep up the amazing work!

January 19, 2016 at 7:28 am

Just started reading The Girl on the Train and it is good!! Thanks for reading along and for your kind words :)