15 In living/ motherhood

Are you a morning person or night person?

Today, partially inspired by the new year and partially by this post by Emily Ley, I set my alarm for 5:30am—one hour before Jack usually wakes up. But when the alarm when off, it was snooze once, snooze twice, then crawl out of bed at a snail’s pace, wishing for warm covers and more sleep. Of course upon waking I scrolled through Instagram and saw another post of Emily’s (that girl is dang inspiring), making me painfully aware of my failure to get things going this morning. I used to be a morning person…what happened to me?!

Motherhood. That’s what happened to me. And while clearly every mother isn’t going to have the same experience, my pregnancy with Jack and his birth are the clear markers between my morning-personness and my inability to rise before the sun comes up. As I typed that, though, I realize I haven’t completely lost my morning person status. If it were summer and the sun came up before 6am, I’d have no problem starting the day. For me, it’s a sun thing. No sunshine, no wakey. Or at least, not willingly.

Regardless of my affinity for daylight awakeness, the longer I’ve been a mother, the more of a night person I’m becoming. After putting Jack to bed (he’s asleep by 7pm), I feel a kick of energy and excitement that the whole evening is mine. Perhaps that’s the big difference. At night, the time is so plentiful and the world feels like my oyster—I can relax, eat, or even work if I needed to. But in the morning, time is an unknown. Do I shower right away or later on? Do I start working or do chores (or better yet, have some quiet reflection time)? How long will that project take? Will I make too much noise and wake him up early? Man, I sound nuts.

So of course, all of this begs the question (and I’m really dying to know)—are you a morning person or a night person?

xo-natalie

P.S. My sleep shirt is from J.Crew and the mug is c/o Lindsay Letters!

Sarah
    January 5, 2016 at 8:56 am

I used to be a night person, but have become a morning person because of my son! I get up way early now – 4:45 (which I NEVER thought possible), work out, make/eat breakfast, start the laundry, finish up the dishes, and get my shower before he wakes up. I work, but I’m able to do all of those things without taking time away from him or my husband. Granted, I go to bed at 9:30, but I find I’m way more productive if I get up early! Whereas if I stay up late, I’m usually just hanging out and relaxing instead of getting stuff done. Both have their perks!

Staci Resnick
    January 5, 2016 at 10:18 am

I have become exactly the same as you Natalie, since having my son 7 months ago! I used to be able to get up super early and be eager to get the day started. Now, you have to drag me out of bed. I also have those same ‘crazy’ thoughts in the morning. So no, you aren’t crazy, or at least not the only one! I have spoken to my personal trainer at length about my lack of morning person ability being gone bc it’s driving me so bonkers, she explains it well in terms of your just a different person now with different things taking your energy in different ways! Your bound to change over time & now with a babe even though you think your rested, your body is recovering, your using more energy each day to care for your little one, etc. I guess it makes sense to me, but it also gives me freedom to give myself a bit more grace about the change. Which in all truth I’m hoping I change back in to a morning person sooner rather than later! I used to be such a go getter table the day chores / workout done by 8am kinda girl!

Alysa
    January 5, 2016 at 1:30 pm

I have always been a night person, with a brief period where I was a morning person when I was pregnant. I would get up, make coffee, and sit and do devotionals in the morning and then start my day and I always felt so accomplished! My daughter is 1 now though, and she is still mostly waking up in the night, so I rarely get up before her because it’s just so tiring. Especially now that I’m pregnant again haha

January 6, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Ugh, yes, that sounds exhausting! I don’t blame you, haha.

Paige
    January 5, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I am definitely a morning person, but less so since becoming a mom. Especially with a 5 month old, I usually have some middle of the night feeding and then I fall back asleep between 3-4 which makes a 5:00 wake up almost impossible. I think as she starts to consistently sleep through the night I’ll have more energy to get up and work out or get stuff done in the morning. I do have to get up at 5:30 for work regardless, so my job keeps me a morning person, but I definitely laze around more on weekend mornings than I used to.

Jennifer H
    January 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm

My daughter is almost exactly Jack’s age and I’ve just recently started waking up before her. Before now I was like um no I have months of sleep to catch up on :). Now I just get up 30 mins before her to have a little bit of “me” time and that helps! And I’m pregnant so I’m definitely enjoying my sleep while I can haha. I think it’s a good idea though– I (selfishly) love waking up on my own terms as opposed to a crying baby!

January 8, 2016 at 7:18 am

Haha, yes, even though Jack has been sleeping through the night for sooooo long, I still always feel like I need more sleep in the morning! But I do like the idea of maybe getting up just 30 minutes early. Maybe I can try that (rather than getting up an hour before, which seems like torture!)?

VaNessa
    January 7, 2016 at 6:30 am

I would love to say that I am a morning person – I used to be when I was a teenage insomniac! But I would have to say that I am an evening person … I would love to know how to switch my behaviors to become more of a morning person!

January 8, 2016 at 7:19 am

The only thing that ever helps me get up earlier is going to bed earlier…not that fun of a solution, haha.

Katie
    January 7, 2016 at 6:51 am

Totally like you! I used to be a morning person… up super early, I’d have muffins baked, coffee going, & half of my current craft project finished before my parents ever came down the stairs! But once I had kids, there’s that feeling of absolute FREEDOM after you put them to bed! I can really get a lot of work done after 8 at night, and the Hubs works late, so staying up working until 11 isn’t a big deal. But that 6:30 alarm comes was too early. :-P

January 8, 2016 at 7:19 am

Yes and yes! (Though I never baked muffins before–ha!)

frédérique
    January 7, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I am the same! I now have three kids and what I have noticed is that I can’t get up early until they stop nursing. My third is 7 months and everyday I think I will be able to get up and go for a run early before my other two wake up and everyday I fail. From experience I know I will have the energy for it and even be excited to wake up early again once I stop breastfeeding him! Not sure if you are still nursing your baby but it really takes a lot of energy, even if they sleep through the night, you need more sleep. Once I stop every time I am so sad BUT I get lots of energy back! best luck to you!

January 8, 2016 at 7:23 am

Yes, I have still been nursing! Just fully weaned him this week, though, so maybe that’ll help—I hope so!

Katie S.
    January 9, 2016 at 11:58 am

Hi Natalie! Happy New Year! When I wake up with the sun (regardless of the time), I am ready and energized to start the day. I don’t have tons of natural light in my room . Combine that with the snowy winter months, and it’s a lot harder to rise earlier. For Christmas, I got a ‘light therapy’ alarm clock (http://www.philips.ca/c-m-pe/light-therapy) and it’s made such a huge difference — whether I set my alarm for 5:30 AM or 7 AM. It wakes you up gradually with peaceful sounds and is a much less abrasive but effective way to start the day. Just thought I’d share. Happy 2016!