19 In beauty/ style

Minimalist Beauty: How to Fill in Your Eyebrows

I am all about minimalism these days—in my decorating, my style, and most definitely with my makeup. As a busy #mompreneur, I have very little time to get ready but also don’t want to feel sloppy all day. I’m sure I’m not alone here! I’ve said it over and over again but my everyday must-do makeup-wise is always my brows—and this video features just that. It’s AMAZING how much more awake I look when I do this. I only use two products and it hardly takes any time to do.

I did a version of this video a couple of years ago but decided it was time to update it with a new twist of minimalism and much better lighting ;) Whether you’re a busy mom or a busy woman in general, if your brows are lackluster this is for you!

. . . . . . . . . .

PRODUCTS
Brow pencil (in taupe)
Brow gel—this one (in deep brown) or my new favorite (in brown)

. . . . . . . . . .

If you have time for only one makeup thing in the morning, what do you do? (Also, what other minimalist beauty videos would interest you?!)

AshleyL
    September 9, 2015 at 11:25 am

So great! I loved this video. I hope you’ll make much more like them in the future. I’m always trying to minimalize my life. I find its so much better for my wallet too.
    Random question is there a mascara that you like? I have a hard time finding one that will stay on! Oh and after you read skin cleanse. You said you were going to do the cleanse and let us know how it went but I don’t think you ever did a follow up post. Maybe I missed it. Thanks!

September 9, 2015 at 11:39 am

Glad you liked the video! I normally use Stowaway Defined Lash mascara but in the video I actually have eyelash extensions and no mascara on. And you’re right—I never did a follow up on the cleanse because I never fully did the skin cleanse…but I think I’m going to make that one of the upcoming Live Well challenges. Stay tuned! Xo

AshleyL
        September 11, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Great I’d love to know how you care for your gorgeous skin!

Stacey Dawn
    September 9, 2015 at 5:53 pm

This is wonderful! I’ve never done a thing with my eyebrows (that was terrifying to admit), but I always, always put under eye concealer on. Being a full-time working mamma, I don’t even remember what it’s like to not look and/or feel tired. I’m with you on trying to minimize my make-up routine, as well as my life routine. Thank you for the great post!

September 9, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Ha! Yes, I know what you mean about the tiredness! I can’t even remember what well-rested felt like, haha.

Lesia
    September 9, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Awesome video! I need to do this to my eyebrows. I always get soo scared to try something new. But my eyebrows are pretty much your color and I wanted to ask what the shades are that you use for the pencil and the gel. I checked out your link but wanted to ask about the shades. Thanks so much! Smiles! L

September 10, 2015 at 10:29 am

Yes, I was so nervous when I started doing this! But practice makes perfect. After a few tries you’ll learn the way you like things to look, how heavy to use the pencil, etc. Best of luck as you give it a try! Xo

Anna
    September 10, 2015 at 6:11 am

Hi Natalie! I’ve been following for a few years and felt the need to comment. I love your style posts, your beauty posts, your mom posts, but something has been bothering me. I understand the definition of “minimalism” to be “a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity” and I feel like your posts as of late claim to be minimalistic, but in reality, they’re not. $100 lash extensions purchased on one’s own and not c/o’d are not minimalistic. Taking the time to do one’s eyebrows is not minimalistic. Buying $200 denim shorts when you already have a pair, wearing $600 c/o’d dresses, buying multiple floppy hats… not minimalistic. I don’t mean to be offensive, but I feel like you’re promoting yourself incorrectly. Your “Legit Mom Style” posts are fantastic and I love how you work the basics – but promoting yourself as a minimalist is highly subjective and I think most of the population wouldn’t see you as minimalistic. I don’t mean to be rude, but I wanted you to consider another perspective.

Victoria B
      September 10, 2015 at 8:30 am

Anna, I can see where you are coming from since minimalism is so subjective. There are people, like you, who think this is way beyond minimalism, and I’m sure there are people who think she is way too simplistic. I personally think that this eyebrow routine is too much for me on a day to day basis when I typically just swipe on bronzer, but if you compare it to a whole face full of makeup (foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, etc), this is definitely simplistic. I have actually really loved seeing how she defines minimalism this year! It has inspired me to do my own version of things too. What’s right for one person isn’t necessarily what’s right for someone else.

September 10, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi Anna—unfortunately it does seem like you meant to be rude and offensive or you probably would’ve just unfollowed and not left a sort of nasty comment :/ Which is too bad since I like to keep this a pretty positive space on the Internet. I’m sorry if you feel like my minimalism doesn’t fit into your definition, but I’d argue that it does. You seem to be caught up on the cost of things, whereas I’m a lot more about simplicity as I strive for minimalism. This is a style blog, after all, so spending money on clothing is a given. For you, clearly spending 2 minutes to fill in your brows is not a priority. But for me, when that’s the *only* makeup I often wear, that’s very minimalist. Having two wide-brimmed hats to wear so that I don’t need to spend time every day doing my hair? Also rather minimalist when you consider the simplicity side of things. I also strive for minimalism in the way I style my outfits—less color, less accessories, lots of basics. All in all, while I can appreciate if you like to be more of a minimalist than me, I’m a little disheartened that you decided to bring negativity here just because I’m not doing it exactly the way that you would.

Anna
    September 10, 2015 at 10:49 am

Hi Natalie,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really wasn’t trying to be rude or offensive. I’m sorry that it came across that way. I am an avid reader and generally enjoy everything I read – which is why I have been coming back for over 3 years, and will continue to do so. I agree with a lot of what you and Victoria stated. I suppose I do equate minimalism with the cost of objects/possessions. And yes – I did not think of the fact that if that’s the *only* makeup you wear, then it is, indeed, very quick and efficient. I do look to you quite often for style and hair – I just get disheartened when I see the word minimalism and it’s paired with a dress that I could never afford, but it was c/o’d to you, and it’s being advertised as minimalistic because it fits within a color scheme. As in, would you be able to buy that on your own, with a minimalist budget and mindset? I am not a minimalist, but reading your blog has absolutely given me inspiration to wear my basics more often and pair them differently. I just think lately, I was getting a little disheartened with the c/o’d eyelashes, dress, Everlane cashmere sweater, and other things that are luxury items for most people, that most have to save money to purchase over time. I hope my point makes more sense.

September 10, 2015 at 11:03 am

Hi Anna—thanks for clarifying. It seems like the hang up here is on the cost of things rather than the definition of minimalism. I know a lot of minimalists who could argue that it’s worth it to pay more for a few quality pieces (like an ethically made, neutral-colored, timeless cashmere sweater) and just own less. That’s definitely more my brand of minimalism. And it’s totally okay if that’s not yours—I’m not here to force anyone to buy anything they don’t need ;)

Elizabeth
    September 10, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I absolutely love this video!! Please make more like this! Filling in my eye brows is my top priority as well for make up. As long as I have my ‘brows on, I feel confident! My 2nd would be a little hint of blush to give my face some color. Thanks for posting!

September 10, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Agreed! Blush is my next go-to after brows too ;)

lina
    September 10, 2015 at 9:31 pm

what a natural beauty you have ! i have a question for you about your hair . How did you decide to get this kind of hairstyle ? was it your hairstylist that came up with the idea ? i ‘ve been struggling with the hairstyle all these years. you know having fine hair is not easy ! thanks!

jess
    September 12, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Cute, & helpful video! I actually found your blog by way of your first brow tutorial, which helped me greatly with my blonde brows . Thank you for that! I feel that you were a little harsh with your reader, Anna, above. I am also just here for the beauty ideas/mom style, and must agree with Anna on the unsavoriness of sponsored posts. It can be difficult for readers to accept those posts as authentic content when they’ve been following from the beginning. Honestly, no matter how much a blogger loves & identifies with a sponsored company, those posts always lack sincerity. They just do. I would think you would want truthful feedback from your readers. Though, I understand you have to make $$$, so I don’t mind skipping the sponsored posts along with other posts that I find bland or don’t identify with. I also want to point out that your weekend posts are very reminiscent of Cup of Jo. I hope that you will stick with ideas and content that are unique to you and not copy others’ style. Good luck to you!

Lara Bogaard
    September 14, 2015 at 2:47 pm

thanks for the fun video!! i too fill my brows on the daily, but have not experimented with the brow gel much and am running into a little issue. do you wipe a good portion of the gel off the brush before combing through your brows? I have darker brows than you and am finding way to much gel getting deposited on the hair as well as the skin. just curious how you get yours looking so natural?!

September 15, 2015 at 10:17 am

Hey Lara! You do need to be careful with the gel and brush it on lightly so it doesn’t get all over your skin. I think practice makes perfect! If you do find it’s way too much to do and you already have dark brows, I’d recommend using a clear gel instead—like this one: http://bit.ly/1FKSETK

Kristen
    January 29, 2016 at 10:02 am

Loved this! You’re so cute and your brows look great. I’m going to have to look for that gel. Can I ask, do you whiten your teeth with anything? They look so great. I’ve been trying all the home remedies (oil pulling, baking soda, etc.) but I think I need something stronger, however I’m afraid of tooth sensitivity! Thanks so much!