Would you ever do a family gap year?

DSC_0305

Last night after a glass (or two) of Pinot Noir, Brian and I were dreaming about the future—as we always do when drinking—and I mentioned this article I’d read recently by Courtney Adamo about her family’s decision to do a gap year and travel the world.

At first I was just showing him her Instagram and talking about the massive girl crush I had on her, but then the conversation got more personal and we started dreaming about what it could be like to do something similar. Now, I don’t think we’d ever do a full year. That feels like a lot to me! But, we got really stoked on the idea of a 6-month adventure and dreamed up how fun it could be to spend next summer in London and the fall in New York. Because who wouldn’t want to spend a summer in the UK and autumn in NYC?

Who knows if this will ever come to fruition, but the idea of it has certainly given us a big dose of wanderlust. This part of Courtney’s article really captures the heart behind our desire to follow in her footsteps:

Where will we be in a year’s time? Will we have settled back into our London routine, the treadmill of work and school? We might. But like my neighbours so long ago we will be changed. We will have seen and experienced more in one year than we could hope to experience in 10. We will have a lifetime of memories and we will have watched and actively participated in our children’s development. And if we’re lucky, we will have learnt to live more slowly.

Doesn’t that sound amazing?

Would you ever do a gap year of sorts with your family? Where would you go?

Ruthie
    August 13, 2015 at 11:29 am

Love this. And girl, pinot noir is my FAVE. so on the same page there. This makes me want to revisit talks that Dave and I have had about Hong Kong and Paris! (and finally making an album of our year+ in Shanghai)

Megan at Lush to Blush
    August 13, 2015 at 11:42 am

I think it’s an amazing idea! I don’t have a family of my own yet, but I think traveling is the most important thing to do in life.

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

Erin Stewart
    August 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Natalie,

I woke up this morning to feed my tiny human then quickly scrolled through my Instagram hoping it would put me back to sleep. I see your and oh man did I started dreaming! What a great thing! I think we often believe life must settle down after kids, or even after 30, but this idea seems perfect for those of us who desire to break free of the norm. I am hooked on this idea! If you do end up in New York, please contact me! I’d love to give you a tour of the beautiful Hudson Valley!

Erin

Urban Wife
    August 13, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I read that article a few weeks past and it’s been stuck in my brain ever since. Also had a short conversation with my husband about it and it’s definitely something we could see our family doing someday. We would likely do a country in Europe as well, just not sure which one. Or maybe Costa Rica, because we love that place. ;)

Jenna
    August 13, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Yes, definitely.

I keep finding myself dreaming of family adventures and I have terribly itchy feet.

The practicalities of it put me off though, it’s not as easy as just upping and leaving, is it? xx

Jessica
    August 13, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Oh yes – I read that too – and it sounds amazing! I would have to do Europe and try to get through as many countries as I could… I keep wishing to win the lottery, because on a teacher and social worker’s salary there’s no way we could afford it!

Sarah
    August 14, 2015 at 7:25 am

We did! My husband and I spent a summer in Colorado, subleasing an aparmtment we found on craigslist. We were super nervous as we drove out there, but it turned out to be the best summer of our lives!