11 In wellness

Live Well: Leisure Reading

DSC_0002-2

One thing I don’t make enough time for is reading for leisure. I do read a bunch of articles and blog posts, but by the end of every month (i.e. right now) I’m scrambling to read through the last half of our book club pick because I never set aside intentional time to read it. So, this week’s challenge is all about taking time to read.

Whether you read one of our book club books, or something you’re already working on, create space in your schedule to actually flip some pages and make progress on it. I think I’m going to save some time before bed, since that feels the most natural to me and probably will work best with my schedule.

Who’s in? (Also, share what book you’re reading!!)

Michelle
    August 29, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I’m also trying to make time for a little leisure reading. Before bed seems like the only time to do it! I just finished The Girl on the Train, so good! Super quick read, too. :)

Annie
    August 29, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Yes!!! :) You’ll be surprised but leisure reading is hard for me! Sometimes my lunch breaks at work, I’ll go off and read outdoors. It’s a nice way to decompress and take a break and disappear into a book. I probably do that a few times a month. Otherwise, it ends up being before bed and even then it’s not nightly. On the weekends, I have found myself laying in bed and reading a chapter or 2 while Jeff is still sleeping (as long as he’s not snoring – otherwise I’m outta there)! All fun little treats I’ve been able to squeeze in here and there. I know with a baby it’s not so easy. Right now I’m reading a chic lit book by Emily Giffin, really good. She’s one of those authors that I’ll always read her stuff. Also, I agree with Michelle – Girl on the Train was great! That was one of the books I found in search of another “Gone Girl”.

August 29, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I’ve heard such good things about Girl on the Train! Now I think I need to make time to read it.

Stephanie @ The Insouciant Sophisticate
    August 30, 2015 at 10:23 am

I definitely ebb and flow on my leisure reading-the month of August has been surprisingly productive for me. Currently I am in a non-fiction state of mind: Between the World and Me and Emotional Leadership but I have the new Jennifer Weiner to read next and I’m really excited about that!

Jen
    August 30, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I didn’t intend to, but I started reading The Girl on the Train and stayed up until 3am to finish it. Literally couldn’t put it down. Psychological thrillers seem to be the genre I’m most drawn to, but I’d love to get into the tried and true classics – East of Eden is next on my list.

Lisa
    August 30, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I’m reading Candace Cameron Bure’s newest book, “Dancing Through Life.”

Paige
    August 31, 2015 at 3:49 am

Yes!! I used to read every single night and over the years kids and my phone have taken over that time. My older kids are at school/daycare now and I have 3 weeks left of maternity leave with my baby, so I’m taking some of the quiet time to get back to reading. I also just finished The Girl on the Train and LOVED it!! I’m now reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up which I’m enjoying also.

Sarah
    August 31, 2015 at 5:12 pm

I always read before bed! It helps me relax. I typically read murder mysteries (my indulgence) at night. During the day, if I get time to read, I usually read magazines or books on yoga, health or minimizing.

Urban Wife
    September 1, 2015 at 5:19 am

I read all the time (currently into murder mysteries by author Tana French) but have realized that it doesn’t feel as relaxing as it should be, because I’ve been reading e-books on my phone. To me, nothing beats a paperback/hardcover book in my hand while laying in bed with the warm glow of my lamp….but this is life right now with two kids under two. :)

Victoria B
    September 2, 2015 at 6:48 am

Reading in bed before falling asleep is my usual. I don’t always get much read, but sometimes I read for an hour or so. It’s the best time for me. I also love read on a rainy afternoon on the weekend and that always feels so luxurious! I don’t have kids, so my time is my own for now. :) I am currently finishing Bread and Wine from Shauna Niequist and starting The Good Girl by Mary Kubica.

Meghan
    September 4, 2015 at 9:38 am

Hi Natalie!
    I absolutely love the chair you are sitting in near your front door and have been searching for something similar. Do you mind sharing where you purchased it?
    Thanks!