8 In style

I’ve Decided to Become a Hat Person

cef2350dc2028b03713cb5a16f302a29

These. Dang. Postpartum. Hairs. The drive me crazy every day! They are sprouty and fluffy and have a mind of their own—I literally have considered cutting my bangs again after growing them out for the past year just to hide these silly little hairs.

Immensely frustrated and desperate, I started trying on hats at every shop I went to. While I liked a lot of them, I felt a little awkward in them. Hats change your appearance so much sometimes. Baseball caps can feel really sloppy if not styled right. And wide brim hats feel a little bit like, look at me!

Despite my unsure feelings, I started to notice other women wearing hats out and about and wishing I could be like them. And then I realized…I totally can! So I have decided to become a hat person. These are the three main ones in my rotation right now, but I’m planning to add more as I get more and more used to wearing them. I think they’re ultimately the easiest solution to hide wild baby hairs and bad hair days, and they also are a fun accessory to up the chic factor of even the most boring mom outfits. (Swing dress + hat + sandals = instantly comfortable, practical and stylish, right?)

1. Madewell Mesa Hat // I stalked this hat at the store for weeks debating whether or not to buy it and I’m so glad I did! I wear it all the time and love that it also provides a good dose of added sun protection during these hot summer days. See one of the many ways I’ve styled it here.

2. Madewell Quilted Cotton Baseball Hat // For more casual days, I love a good baseball cap. But almost all of mine have been used for running, so I added this one to my collection strictly for non-athletic purposes. The quilted detail keeps it feeling fresh and stylish and it adds a sporty touch to everyday clothing. This is my favorite way to wear it lately.

3. Ecote Tie-Back Wide Brim Hat // This is my most recent addition to my hat collection and I got it specifically with fall in mind. The dark color and wool material are perfect for chillier days ahead and will pair well with cozier looks. Though admittedly I might need to return it because as gorgeous as it is, it’s a smidgen too big for my tiny head. Nonetheless, if I do so I’ll be replacing it with something identical with a more snug fit. You can see it on my head (in the store, ha!) here.

Now that I have several hats in my possession, I’m thinking about hanging up some nails to display them as art when I’m not wearing them—like this. Isn’t that a good idea?

S H O P  H A T S

Image via Madewell

Ashley
    August 17, 2015 at 7:20 am

Hi Natalie! Don’t return your gorgeous Ecote hat! I’ve had this problem with Urban Outfitters hats too- simply solved by adding Foam Insulation Tape around the inside band of the hat. And the tape comes in a variety of thickness options, you can tailor exactly to your need and fit. Hope it’s helpful! http://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-6-9718-Foam-Insulation-Black/dp/B00SYQ3VNA

Xx Ashley

Jen
    August 17, 2015 at 7:23 am

I can relate to this post on both out of control postpartum hairs and feeling awkward in hats because of my freakishly small head! I’ve discovered that American Eagle has some cute and inexpensive hats that actually look decent on me. I’m definitely going to look into the ones on your list :)

Katie
    August 17, 2015 at 7:29 am

I’ve been adding to my tiny hat collection in preparation for the postpartum days where doing my hair is just not going to happen. I’ve learned that I am pretty picky about hat shapes and what works best for my face and of course my lifestyle. I have the same feelings about big floppy hats and think they can work if you are mostly outdoors, but indoors a wide brim just feels a little unnecessary. I am still on the search for a good fall hat! Thanks for sharing your picks!
    Blessings,
    Katie

Sarah Beth
    August 17, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I would like to be a hat person but apparently I have a pin head because every hat I have tried on is too big…

Sarah
    August 18, 2015 at 10:51 am

When I read this article, one of the “You Might Also Like” links was to your post about hats 4 years ago! http://thoughtsbynatalie.com/2011/12/mad-about-hats.html It’s funny to see how the styles have changed in just a short amount of time. You’ve looked darling in whatever hat you’ve posted – fedora, baseball, or the floppy hat!

April
    August 20, 2015 at 5:53 pm

As a wanna-be hat person, I’ve been meaning to ask about where you wear your hats. It sounds like a ridiculous question but I feel so awkward about wearing my hat out. I’ve had the Madewell Mesa hat for months and its just been decorating my dresser. Do you were it in restaurants? Or would you wear it to everyday errands at target? My schedule is usually limited to grocery store, target, splash pad, etc. Is the Mesa hat too much for those places? I’m really wanting to be a “cool” hat person but obviously still nervous about it! Ha!

Thanks! Love your blog!!!

August 21, 2015 at 10:20 am

Not a ridiculous question at all! Yes, I wear it all over the place and have just decided to own it. It does feel weird to wear at night, though. But during the daytime, anyplace, anytime!

April
        August 21, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Alright, this is going to be the week I take the tag off that hat and own it!!! Thanks!