9 In style

10 Ways to Look Taller

e87e9e2d46df917a34e4d0d510ea53de

Confession: all of my life, I’ve wanted to be tall. When I was little I was obsessed with being 5’11” and had high hopes of at least being 5’8″ since my mom is 5’7″ and my dad is 6′ and kids usually end up somewhere in between their parents’ heights, right? Well, wrong. Thanks to years of gymnastics, I landed solidly at 5’4″ and that is that. I now live vicariously through my super tall husband—for all who have ever wondered, he is 6’9″—and rely instead on heels and sneaky tricks to make myself appear less short than I am.

As it turns out, there are all kinds of simple tips to look taller, and (bonus!) none of the ones I’m sharing today involve wearing uncomfortable heels. How great is that?

If you’re already tall, feel free to skip this post or copy the link and send it to a friend. If you’re short (or average height) like me, read on!

1. Wear high-waisted skirts and shorts.
2. Try a monochromatic look.
3. Wear nude ankle boots to elongate your legs.
4. Try a romper.
5. Wear flats that expose as much skin as possible.
6. Wear vertical stripes, like a tuxedo pant.
7. Pull up your hair or cut it short. (Or just wear it with more volume—hello, big waves!)
8. Try flared jeans.
9. Keep shorts and skirts short (but tasteful).
10. Wear v-necks.

SHOP THE POST
Scroll through for all kinds of make-you-look-taller items to add to your wardrobe.

Do you have any tips to add?

P.S. My favorite high-waisted jeans. and how to look taller in photos.

Photo via Madewell

Megan at Lush to Blush
    March 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

These are great tips! I’m very petite, so I’m always looking to add a couple inches. :) High waisted bottoms are my favorite!

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

Samantha
    March 3, 2015 at 10:35 am

Being 5’2″ myself, I’m always on the lookout for tips and tricks that will help me seem even the slightest bit taller! Currently, I’m a fan of v-necks for their slimming and shaping effect, and swear by pointed toe flats/boots/heels. Some other tips were new to me, so I’ll be trying some of them out soon!

x Samantha

March 3, 2015 at 10:40 am

I recently became a convert to v-necks and it’s amazing what a difference it makes!

Elizabeth
    March 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm

My husband is also 6’9″! But, height also runs in my family and I am a solid 6’0″. I don’t usually need help in this department, but I have a few extra curves here and there so I am always looking to elongate! I never thought about how something as simple as v-necks can help with that! Thanks for the tips!!

Sarah
    March 4, 2015 at 6:51 am

Natalie, you are tall to me :) I’m 5’1″. I love flared jeans and high heels. I always hear “how can you wear heels that high?” My response is otherwise my pants wouldn’t fit!

Kira Culotta Semple
    March 4, 2015 at 8:24 am

Great tips, Natalie! I am 5’2″ (and three quarters!) V-necks are our best friends. I also gravitate toward shoes with a pointed toe, as they seems to elongate our legs or provide the illusion of it ;) Another tip I have is to get your clothes tailored. Pants that are too long/ill-fitted can accentuate our height and make us look, well… awkward. Thanks for posting these helpful ideas!

xx
    Kira

P.S. Would have never guessed you were only 5’4″- always thought you were taller!