April Book Club: The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

978-1-60774-730-7

March has essentially come and gone and it’s time to start reading our next book! Since I am all about minimalism this year, I’ve picked a book that got great recommendations that I feel like I’ve been hearing about everywhere: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I’ve already started reading it because I was so excited I couldn’t wait. So far, I really love it and am eager to get started with the techniques the author describes.

Here’s a little excerpt to entice you…

“Let’s imagine a cluttered room. It does not get messy all by itself. You, the person who lives in it, makes the mess. There is a saying that ‘a messy room equals a messy mind.’ I look at it this way. When a room becomes cluttered, the cause is more than just physical. Visible mess helps distract us from the true source of the disorder. The act of cluttering is really an instinctive reflex that draws our attention away from the heart of an issue.

“If you can’t feel relaxed in a clean and tidy room, try confronting your feeling of anxiety. It may shed light on what is really bothering you. When your room is clean and uncluttered, you have no choice but to examine your inner state. You can see any issues you have been avoiding and are forced to deal with them. From the moment you start tidying, you will be compelled to reset your life. As a result, your life will start to change. That’s why the task of putting your house in order should be done quickly. It allows you to confront the issues that are really important. Tidying is just a tool, not the final destination. The true goal should be to establish the lifestyle.”

Will you read along with me?

Alicia
    March 28, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I’ll join in! I just ordered this

Antonia
    March 29, 2015 at 1:21 am

This book has been in my virtual shopping cart for some time now. I think I’ll finally pull the trigger and read along.

Sarah
    March 29, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Just ordered it! We are getting ready to move so I’m doing a major cleanse of all the stuff we don’t need and want to seek out the best storage ideas for our new home. Thanks!

Allie Marie Smith
    March 29, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I definitely NEED this book! Might listen to the audio version. My mom loved it. :)

Robyn
    April 2, 2015 at 9:53 am

I’m reading this book as well and it’s a game changer. Even though I considered myself organized her approach and techniques are a game-changer. Really looking forward to tackling some Spring cleaning {and purging} soon!

April 2, 2015 at 10:32 am

Agreed! I always thought I was rather tidy, but this book has me realizing that since I don’t really have a place for everything, there will always be clutter. Excited to tackle some serious discarding and organizing this month!

Alys | A Girl Who Reads
    April 5, 2015 at 2:14 am

I so hate tidying … maybe this will help me if I just approach it in a new way