13 In style

The Most Flattering Jeans

2371f7492735407ce85082b5173ab1b5

Why has it taken me this long to discover high rise jeans? I’ve been a low-rise girl since the Britney Spears days, and it’s sort of comical that becoming a mother has turned me on to a high rise cut. Cliche, really. But now I totally understand where the phrase “mom jeans” comes from.

Mom or not, high rise jeans are where it’s at, ladies.

Regardless of your shape, this cut for any body type. If you have a booty (like myself!), it hugs around the bum and nips in at the waist, emphasizing the beauty of the feminine figure. And if you have more of a boyish shape, your legs will look miles long.

Now the inevitable question is…which high rise jeans are the best? There are two brands that really nail it for me—one budget-friendly, and one worthy of an investment.

The Budget Buy
I’ve been a longtime fan of American Eagle Jeggings. They’re affordable, stretchy, flattering and I’ve been a loyal customer since my high school days. They really fit like a dream, and at less than $50, they’re easy to justify buying. I recently purchased this pair and have been wearing them nonstop.

DSC_0028

DSC_0030

__________
American Eagle Jeans
Merona Sweater
Merona Scarf / Similar
Madewell Necklace
Sperry Topsider Shoes / Similar
__________

The Investment
I can honestly say I’ve never found a more flattering and comfortable pair of jeans. A few weeks ago, I finally got around to trying out Madewell’s denim and I can’t believe it took me this long. I went into the store with the intention of testing out the different fits, and I left with two perfect pairs of high waisted skinnies—one classic and one grey. While American Eagle will always have a piece of my heart and sell my favorite budget-friendly jeans, Madewell takes the cake overall and is well worth the $120+ investment if you ask me.

DSC_0035

DSC_0059

DSC_0062

DSC_0065

__________
Madewell Jeans
Loft Top / Similar
Charlene K Necklace via Rocksbox (use code NATALIEXOXO2 for a free month!)
Sole Society Booties
__________

Kate
    February 10, 2015 at 5:48 am

Hi Natalie! Do you have a picture of yourself wearing these jeans? I find it way more applicable to see a real (beautiful!) person wearing them rather than the super skinny models who may have been photoshopped.

February 10, 2015 at 7:35 am

Yes! There will be more in an upcoming style post this week (which I’ll come back and link to), but here’s one for now: http://instagram.com/p/y7M0ffG69o/?modal=true

Sarah
        February 10, 2015 at 8:17 am

Thank you for including this! I was wondering this myself :-) Can’t wait for the upcoming style post. You have the best style and I often refer back to your posts when I organize my upcoming purchases. I always look forward to these!

February 10, 2015 at 8:43 am

Oh that just makes my day! Thank you! Glad you enjoy my personal style :)

February 17, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Here’s the link to more photos of me wearing the jeans: http://bit.ly/follow-the-leader2

March 30, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Just added more photos to this post so you could see what the jeans look like on a non-model—hope it’s helpful! :)

Lauren
    February 10, 2015 at 7:58 am

YES high rise is the best. Another brand/style you should try are the Citizens of Humanity Rocket. I have two washes, dark denim and distressed grey. Obsessed.

Becca // viola + roy
    February 10, 2015 at 11:03 am

they are life.changers. By far my favorite jeans! And, a better price point then most designer jeans. :)

Victoria B
    February 11, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I have been wanting to try Madewell jeans and since they just released some white jeans for Spring I think I will try the high rise soon since I have a booty that makes jeans hard to find as well! My favorite pair of jeans is from Gap, the Always Skinny jean.

Kristen
    February 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Thanks for the rec! just bought two pairs and i LOVE them!

Sarah
    October 23, 2015 at 5:34 am

Hello!
    I know this is an older post but I stumbled upon when looking up madewell jeans… AE High Rise are by current go-to but I’m thinking about investing. How is the sizing compared to AE? and do you find that the Madewell jeans are holding up well? (I normally have to toss jeans after they wear out in th inner thigh…)
    Thanks!

October 23, 2015 at 9:45 am

I absolutely love my Madewell jeans and have found them to be really good quality. Sizing-wise, I go a size down in their jeans for the best fit.