16 In wellness

Salted Chocolate Taste Test

DSC_0004

DSC_0018

You guys…I have a serious dark chocolate addiction. I’ve always been a chocolate lover (except during pregnancy weirdly), but these days it’s become a daily must-have. Thankfully it isn’t the worst habit to have, since dark chocolate happens to be a rather nutritious little indulgence. According to Women’s Health Magazine, it’s good for your heart, reduces stress, and even boost brain power. It also has less sugar than milk chocolate and has a healthy dose of fiber, too.

My favorite combo is salty and sweet, so I decided to taste test a few different salted chocolate bars found at most grocery stores to see how they differed and find out which was supreme :)

GHIRADELLI INTENSE DARK SEA SALT SOIREE
This one had the most mild chocolate flavor of the three. It had a nice crunch from the almonds and was salty, but not quite as much as I was hoping for.

DSC_0005

DSC_0008

DSC_0021

GODIVA DARK CHOCOLATE SEA SALT
This one was creamy and rich and had the strongest saltiness. Ultimately a very close second, though I wish it had a higher percentage of dark chocolate.

DSC_0007

DSC_0020

DSC_0015

LINDT DARK WITH A TOUCH OF SEA SALT
This one was my favorite, without a doubt. The chocolate was so creamy and had just the right amount of saltiness to complement it. I for sure will be keeping a few of these bars in my pantry at all times from now on.

DSC_0006

DSC_0010

ali grace | cookies and grace
    February 23, 2015 at 12:38 pm

YUM! I’ve been on a salty dark chocolate kick myself, lately and I haven’t tried these. I’m definitely going to purchase the Lindt one asap to test for myself. Thanks for doing your public service and trying these out for us. :)
    Also – I love your gold striped napkins. Stripes and gold for life!

February 23, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Haha, my pleasure :)

ali grace | cookies and grace
        February 25, 2015 at 8:18 am

Reporting back on Lindt Touch of Sea Salt Dark Chocolate. Urban Wife and I both agree that it is DELISH! #twothumbsup

Urban Wife
          February 25, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Yes, it was!

• Natalie Borton
            February 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Oh yay! So glad you girls enjoyed it as much as I did!!

Elissa
    February 23, 2015 at 1:25 pm

What a fun taste test! I will have to try the Lindt bar. I usually buy the Endangered Species brand chocolate bars from Whole Foods (the dark choc, almond and dried cranberries is my fav).

Urban Wife
    February 23, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Dark chocolate is such a great dessert! I’m partial to Lindt especially after my best friend brought over some bars from Germany a few years back. So insanely delicious and the ones from Europe actually did taste different than the ones you buy here. Still good though!

Dave Horne
    February 23, 2015 at 5:02 pm

As you well know, I am a dark chocolate connoisseur. I have tested all of the above at length (plus Dove, and Hershey’s Special), and no doubt about it — Lindt is the best, not even close!

Laura
    February 23, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Lindt is my fav too! Such a sweet idea for a post :)

AshleyL
    February 23, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I was the same way. Love dark chocolate but when I was pregnant I didn’t want it at all. Did you know that trader joes sells dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and dark chocolate bark with sea salt?

February 24, 2015 at 9:57 am

Yes! As soon as I posted this I started thinking about doing a taste test with just Trader Joe’s chocolates :)

Sarah
    February 24, 2015 at 8:57 am

Mark another one down for loving dark chocolate except when I was pregnant! It’s not like I didn’t like it, I could just easily pass it up and never craved it.

February 24, 2015 at 9:57 am

So strange!! Hormones are weird, aren’t they?

alisha
    February 25, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I’m all about the daily dose of dark chocolate and agree that the Lindt Touch of Sea Salt is amazing! Good to know I’m not the only one to lose my dark chocolate cravings during pregnancy. Cadbury mini-eggs filled the void quite nicely though. ;)

Cathy Vu
    February 25, 2015 at 8:15 pm

What a fun little taste test! I am sure you enjoyed doing it…i mean, someone has to do it. ;) But i love this salty version of lindt as well.