Book Club Chat: Yes Please

yes-please

I have a confession: I never finished Yes Please! I wish I could say I didn’t have the time, but I actually really did—I just didn’t end up prioritizing this book the way I’d planned. Which I suppose does say a bit about how I felt about it.

While I haven’t finished it (though I plan to!), I do want to follow through with some brief reflections and open up the comments below for more discussion from those of you who did manage to read the whole thing.

From what I did read, there was one chapter of the book that really shined for me: Plain Girl vs. The Demon. She starts it off saying, “I hate how I look”—a statement all of us can relate to in some way, or at the very least, a thought every person has had at least once in their life. She goes on to talk about “the demon voice” that’s in the back of our heads—you know, the one that tells us we’re not good enough or our nose is weird or our thighs aren’t right—and how we can make the choice to not let it take over our lives:

I had already made a decision early on that I would be a plain girl with tons of personality, and accepting it made everything a lot easier. If you are lucky, there is a moment in your life when you have some say as to what your currency is going to be. I decided early on it was not going to be my looks….Decide what your currency is early. Let go of what you will never have. People who do this are happier and sexier.”

Can I get an amen?!

While I know the book is supposed to be funny and there’s tons of hilarious stories in there that I’m yet to read, I really delighted in the truth of that chapter and have been letting it stew for a while. I don’t exactly know what my currency in this world is yet, but I’m totally with Amy—I don’t want it to be my looks.

What about you? What were your takeaways, favorite quotes, thoughts, etc. on Yes Please?

P.S. The backpack is from Target ;)

Renee
    February 17, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I read it! I liked it–especially the bits about motherhood and mothering two boys. My son is 5 months so those parts were most enjoyable to me.

February 17, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Good to know! Can’t wait to get to that part :)

Annie B
    February 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it! There were some funny stories and good pieces (like the part you highlighted), but I felt like it was really choppy, and that she placed a lot of emphasis on her famous friends and associations to make her stories seem more interesting. The name-dropping seemed like it happened a bit too often! I enjoyed Bossypants and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? much more than this one, but still enjoyed parts of Amy’s book. :)

Meghan
    February 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I am about halfway through and so far my favorite quote is “good for you, not for me”. I think it’s the best attitude to have as a mother! There’s no one right way to parent and we should all respect other people’s decisions even if we don’t do it that way!

Lauren B
    February 18, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I LOVED the chapter when Amy talks about making a mistake and taking too long to apologize. We all have stories like that and I was so impressed that she chose to mention this on in her book. The chapter was sincere, thoughtful, and honest.

I didn’t love the chapter at the end of the book where Amy talks about all the drugs she’s done and drinking in high school. It added nothing of narrative value to her story and made feel annoyed with her bad choices.

Highlight: Parks and Rec chapter. I had incredibly high expectations coming into this part of the book and Amy did not disappoint. I love that she had anecdotes for each character and that she and Rashida Jones are besties in real life. Love.

Victoria B
    June 24, 2015 at 8:36 am

I only just read this book and finished it over the weekend, but I actually loved it! I thought it was much funnier than Bossypants and I loved all of the wisdom she put in there. The name dropping didn’t really bother me and I guess I just didn’t know that much about Amy Poehler, because I had no idea about most of the stuff she had done! I liked her to begin with, but now I like her even more. I loved the chapter on Parks and Rec since I just adored that show. And her “good for her, not for me” chapter was a huge highlight. I love that and think all women should act that way towards each other.