How To Squeeze More Reading Into Your Life

read-more

I love to read, but have always struggled to create time for it. Whether it’s work or chores or social obligations, reading usually gets pushed to the bottom of the priority list. Anyone else?

If you find yourself in the same boat, this post is for you. Below are four simple ways to squeeze more reading into your busy schedule…

1. Listen to Audible on your commute.

If you drive to work, this is absolutely the easiest way to get “reading” done and also make your commute more bearable. My husband has been doing this for over a year and often gets through a book a week!

2. Use the Kindle App.

Honestly, when do you ever not have your phone on you? I personally use this strategy and end up doing most of my reading on my iPhone when I’m nursing Jack, waiting for an appointment or even walking laps in my neighborhood.

3. Keep a book (or e-reader) in your bag.

Not into reading on your phone? Go old school and keep a book in your purse at all times. That way, whenever you get a minute—like if a friend is a little late to your coffee date—you can dive in easily.

4. Sneak in a few pages before bed each night.

If routine is what you’re into, it’s time to add this to your nighttime rituals. After getting yourself ready for bed, snuggle up with a good book for 15-30 minutes to help you wind down. Try to use a printed book, though, as the blue light from phones and electronic devices can mess with sleep.

Do you like to read? How do you make time for it?

Tracy
    January 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Great ideas, Natalie! Another idea I recently heard about was to replace all the social media apps on the first page of your phone with the Kindle app. The idea is that you’d open that app up first instead of mindlessly browsing Twitter or Instagram (guilty)!

Maria
    January 26, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I love this post! Kindle app is great, I have it on my phone and tablet; it just makes it so much easier to have books on hand. I would love you to do a blog post on books you love to read or have read recently.

Joanna
    January 26, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I love to read! I have a hard time getting into books this time of year but have been craving a good book lately. I just said to my husband yesterday “I’m craving a book I can sink my teeth into” meaning I’m wanting a book I can get lost in. That will pull me in and call to me when I’m not reading.

laura
    January 27, 2015 at 5:31 am

Great tips! I’ve been actively trying to read more this month too (even though I already read a lot). I deleted most social media apps and games off my phone so I would waste less time scrolling through feeds in moments of boredom or distraction. Those 10-15 minutes throughout the day add up.

Danielle
    January 27, 2015 at 8:20 am

Great post! I have the Nook, the Nook app on my iPhone and iPad as well as books that I’ve never finished (new books). But with my 5 year old and 19 month old twins I can hardly read an email :-(. I’ve tried to “read before bed” but always woke in the morning with an open book on my chest and no memory of what I read. Reading was one of my favorite hobbies! I won’t give up! LOL!!! Again, great post!

Kristen
    January 28, 2015 at 6:12 am

Great ideas! Do you have any book recommendations? I’m always on the hunt for a new book.

Alys | A Girl Who Reads
    January 29, 2015 at 2:52 am

I have totally discovered the joy of Audible – I live a few hours drive from my family so its great to head up to see loved ones and listen to a book on the way