2015: The Year of Minimalism

newyear2015

It’s the first full week of 2015 and I’m thinking about my intentions for the next year. I love to pick a word to guide me week after week, and this year that word is MINIMALISM.

The word basics (as in back-to-basics) also came to mind, but I think minimalism (as defined by this article) really encapsulates what I’m after. Here’s a quick definition from the article that gets right to the heart of it:

Minimalism is a tool used to rid yourself of life’s excess in favor of focusing on what’s important so you can find happiness, fulfillment, and freedom.

Um, yes please!

My version of minimalism will have less to do with getting rid of “stuff” (though that will no doubt happen, too!), and more to do with eliminating anything in my life this year that takes away from things I really care about—namely, my marriage, my baby, my friendships, and my spiritual and relational growth.

I’m not sure exactly what it’ll look like week by week and month by month, but I plan to filter my choices and purchases through that lens to keep me on track. Hopefully by having less of certain things, I’ll gain a whole lot more of what I actually want. A few possibilities for the year to come…

• Start the day with a devotional instead of social media or email.
  • Give the capsule wardrobe another go around to make my clothing purchases more intentional.
  • Pare down my morning getting-ready routine (and toss any products I’m not using anymore).
  • Choose books and articles over TV more often.
  • Have Scrabble dates (or lunch dates or lounge-in-the-backyard dates with my hubby instead of defaulting to watching a movie.
  • Choose one or two major things to get done each day rather the lofty, way-too-long, makes-me-feel-guilty-looking-at-it to do lists I always tend to make.
  • Continue to strive to see beauty in imperfection rather than obsess over getting closer and closer to my idea of the “perfect” life.

What about you? What word is guiding you this year?

P.S. My word(s) for last year.

Maria
    January 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Love this post Natalie! Is that the iPhone 6 plus ; ) ?
    I just purchased the six plus and ordered a felt & leather sleeve from Etsy. The Navis is the shop I purchased it from. I think you would be interested. They seem like your style! Minimal, soft greys.

Robin
    January 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

We are totally on the same page! I chose the word ‘focus’ but it could have been minimalism, simplify, intention…any of those would work. What you described is very similar to what I’m focusing on this year. Focusing on what truly matters and focusing on what is in front of me. Simplifying, less multi-tasking, more focus so that I can be with my daughter when I’m with my daughter, be at work when I’m at work, etc. Thanks for sharing. xoxo

Rebecca
    January 6, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Love this article! I am so grateful for this insight. I really think minimalism could be a word for almost anyone. If I had to choose a different word, it would be peace. I want to be at peace with where I’m at, what I have, the situations that are present and be okay with what is. And, more importantly, seek out that peace spiritually so that my foundation is sturdy on “the rock” this year.

Kari
    January 6, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Love this, Natalie! I hope to incorporate some of your ideas into my own life. I could definitely work on eliminating things that take away from the things I care about most.

ali grace | cookies and grace
    January 6, 2015 at 6:05 pm

So great. I especially love the last two… I defnitely need to strive to be more ok with all the not-so-perfect things in my life. This year, my word is prayer. I know I’m quick to do something, practical or mindless, before I ever really communicate with the Lord. My hope is that focusing more on prayer will help me move toward some of those things you mentioned – especially just a more focused and content daily life. Happy 2015!

Marie
    January 6, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Love. Love. Love this post!
    I’m totally with you on the same boat this year :) I have the intention to disconnect to connect with myself, to declutter and let go more often. I am seriously stressed out by all the must-do things. The only thing I really have to do is to find myself and just be me.
    Thanks for this reminder to stay on track. Cheers to a happy and joyful 2015 !

AshleyL
    January 7, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I took my new year idea from barre3. This year I want to live more gracefully. Basically that means to me less drama, less stress and being positive and easygoing as much as possible.