11 In style

Summer 2014 Capsule Wardrobe

Last month I shared about a style concept that majorly appealed to me: the capsule wardrobe. With already limited clothing options this summer thanks to pregnancy, I thought this season would be a perfect one to do a trial run, so I weeded out everything that either doesn’t fit at the moment or I’m not really loving and came up with 40 items that will make up my summer wardrobe.

Typically, the capsule wardrobe would include shoes as well, but I’ve chosen not to include them. The number of clothes you include and which items you exclude (i.e. fitness gear, shoes, etc.) are ultimately a personal choice—the goal is simplicity and that can look different for everyone. Now, for a quick rundown of what I chose…

TOPS // 12 PIECES
It should come as no surprise to those of you who are familiar with my personal style that these tops are all neutral. I can’t help myself! I find it so much easier to mix and match when I’m working with my favorite core colors: black, white, grey, and olive. From these tops, five are borrowed from my very kind friends who had no use for maternity wear this summer, two I already owned, three were purchased and one was given to me as part of a summer style collaboration.

Summer 2014 Capsule Wardrobe | Thoughts By Natalie

striped bateau top / black maternity tee / olive lightweight pullover

long grey tank / striped peplum / white tee

sheer striped top (similar) / long black sweater (similar) / grey maternity tank

black sleeveless top / striped maternity tee / striped maternity tank

DRESSES // 16 PIECES
Dresses are taking up a very large chunk of my wardrobe this season simply because they are the most comfortable and the most practical with my growing belly. The selection is a mix of maxi dresses (all of the ones that are cut off at the bottom), mid-length dresses and some shorter ones. There are a couple that may need to paired with pants or leggings as I grow, eventually playing the role of tops. Again, I chose a very simple color palette, tossing in a bit of color with the tribal print maxi and the little blue dress.

Summer 2014 Capsule Wardrobe | Thoughts By Natalie

black swing dress / elbow-patch swing dress / lily dress / thin striped maxi

striped t-shirt dress / tribal print maxi / grey t-shirt dress / lace trim dress

meadow dress / baseball maxi / striped maxi / mia dress

striped fitted dress (similar) / black maxi / blue and white maxi / little blue dress

BOTTOMS + OUTERWEAR // 12 PIECES
This was a fun place for me to add in some pops of color—namely through my cardigans. I chose several blazers, which work nicely with dresses, shorts and pants alike. My bottoms are extremely versatile in order to work best with the tops I chose: pants in black and white, and shorts in black and denim.

Summer 2014 Capsule Wardrobe | Thoughts By Natalie

white blazer / black linen shorts / red cardigan (similar)

denim jacket / black blazer / maternity pixie pants

olive jacket / striped blazer / denim maternity shorts

green cardigan (similar) / white maternity jeans / grey moto sweater (similar)

Would you try a capsule wardrobe for the summer?

P.S. If you love this concept, you absolutely must follow the Un-Fancy blog—it’s where I got the idea and I’m completely obsessed with it!!

mary beth
    June 25, 2014 at 5:34 am

LOVE this idea!!! I need to get the j crew pixie pants. And….where are the white pants from? The link isn’t working. :(

Jessica
    June 25, 2014 at 9:56 am

I tried it this spring and it worked out really well. I realized that I chose too many cool weather clothes but I just subbed some out as it got warmer. I think I’m going to do it this summer too. And I TOTALLY love Un-fancy too. It’s awesome.

June 25, 2014 at 10:49 am

Yay! That totally makes sense that you had to swap some things out—I feel like that’s part of getting used to having a limited wardrobe. Isn’t it so much easier to get dressed with less stuff cluttering the closet?

Madison
    June 26, 2014 at 3:44 am

Well I just love this! I’m getting ready to do a similar post with my capsule wardrobe. What I really love is that when you scale down your wardrobe to just a few pieces, your true style really seems to emerge. Love the neutrals!

June 26, 2014 at 8:43 am

Right?!? I have you to thank for introducing me to the concept—without your Instagram post about Un-Fancy, I never would’ve learned about this! It’s a minimalist’s dream come true. And getting dressed is SO much easier now.

gina
    June 26, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Girl! you have me so hooked on Caroline’s blog (since last time you mentioned it) It really is brilliant. I’m not doing a capsule but I do love a super edited wardrobe and I love both Caroline’s style and yours as they are very similar to mine.
    Simplicity is always a good idea.
    Looks like you’ve put together a fabulous maternity capsule which I can imagine isn’t the easiest task. I can’t wait to see how you remix the pieces.
    XO, Gina

Grey
    June 30, 2014 at 10:04 am

I’ve been looking for a blazer for a while now and haven’t had any luck finding what I’m looking for in stores. I am thinking the J. Crew blazers you linked to might be a great option, thanks!

kimmie
    July 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

This is SUCH a fun idea! I’ve been looking to streamline my wardrobe because I’ve fond that I wear the same stuff all the time anyway, but I was a little nervous about doing so bc I own so MUCH. This is genius though. I feel like you have to bee more creative with fewer pieces so I’m gonna finally take the plunge and do it!

Kristina
    February 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm

I know it has been a long time since this post, but I found you through Pinterest and needed to say I am dying over that Mia dress! I absolutely love how it fits you and looks adorable as a maternity dress. The one you linked to no longer exists but there are different colors…thinking about splurging! Thanks for this post :)

March 31, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Oh yay! Yes, the Mia dress has been the best—I love that it really actually works postpartum, too :)