25 In style

Why I Write About Style

Why I Write About Style | Thoughts By Natalie

Style. It’s a topic some may think is unimportant or uninteresting or even vain, but it’s one that I am quite passionate about and so I thought it could be good to dig deeper into the why behind my style posts.

To start, I have to note that beauty and style are two totally different entities to me. I believe that so much that I’ve even kept hair and makeup posts in the style category here on the blog to ensure they stay separate. Beauty is something that runs so much deeper than what we wear, and it absolutely must be kept separate. It’s a small way I’m trying to change the conversation and redefine the way that our culture uses the word “beauty.”

That being said, just because style has to do with the exterior, doesn’t mean it’s silly to care about it. We can’t get consumed in what we wear, but having fun with the way we dress can play an important role in self-awareness and developing a healthy body image.

Aside from writing, style is my favorite form of self-expression. I believe that all style is good style when it’s authentic to who you are—it’s in imitation and inauthenticity that we lack good style, not in the cost of our jeans or the way we tie a scarf. I am organized, practical and straight-forward, and I think the way I dress myself communicates that. I wear neutrals constantly because it kills me to buy something (other than a playful accessory) that might not stand the test of time.

The way we dress communicates to the world bits and pieces about who we are—and that is such a beautiful thing!

Why I Write About Style | Thoughts By Natalie

Sharing style posts has played a big role in my personal growth and comfort in my own skin. Style selfies are easy and fun, but electing to be photographed is an entirely different animal (especially now that I’m pregnant!). It’s intimidating and vulnerable and challenging—and through it, I’m learning to love and accept myself more, seeing beauty where I sometimes struggle to.

I am not a model nor trying to be one. I am just a girl—with child-bearing hips, a well-endowed bum and short legs—traits I’ve truly grown to love and appreciate. Through sharing style posts, I’ve found peace in my body type, and I hope that you find that as well as you read this blog.

My hope is that by being vulnerable to put myself out there—sometimes with flattering photos, other times with not-so-flattering ones—you, too will feel more comfortable in your own skin.

What does style mean to you? How has personal style impacted your self-image and self-esteem?

Robin
    May 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

LOVE.

Megan @ Lush to Blush
    May 15, 2014 at 11:01 am

This is such a fabulous post! Style is something that is important to me because it’s fun. It makes me happy to look at and play with pretty clothing and accessories. I feel like I’m creating beauty by styling a look that is completely unique to me and my vision. It is a really great way of self expression and if I can inspire someone’s outfit one day, I would be thrilled. Because what we wear makes an impact on our mood for the day and being able to play a part in that is very special. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Natalie! Love it, as always!!

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

May 15, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Your reasons for loving style totally come through on your blog—one of the many reasons I love to read it!!

Ashley
    May 15, 2014 at 11:18 am

I’m a frequent reader but haven’t commented before. I LOVE your blog! Style has just never been my thing. I’ve always been swayed by this trend or that trend, but I’ve rarely felt like what’s “in” really fits my personality. I’ve always felt most comfortable in basics with cute accessories, but I always felt a bit boring and plain. The style I feel most ME in is very similar to yours, and seeing how you rock it has helped me embrace it too! I love your style recommendations and tips!

I fully believe God gifts us each with unique passions, and I love how you’ve expressed your passion for real beauty and style through this blog. It takes vulnerability and it matters. I’m thankful! Just wanted you to know. :)

May 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for taking the time to comment! And of course thanks for being a reader :) So glad you’ve enjoyed the blog and been inspired by it somehow!

Rebecca Bass-Ching, LMFT
    May 15, 2014 at 11:30 am

Natalie -I hope you keep digging deeper and sharing the meaning and motivation behind yours passions. You have a beautiful story to tell and an important voice. :-)

Kate
    May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Really like your style :) I’m totally channeling your outfits these days. Putting clothes & accessories together is not one of my top skills, but yours always look so classy, timeless and effortless. Thanks for the inspiration!

May 15, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Totally agree with you here >> “The most beautiful people I know are those who are utterly beautiful inside. It just shines through.” Thanks for reading and taking the time to share—I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the style posts and now know a bit more about my heart behind them :)

Ruth
    May 15, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Amen, girl!

Elizabeth
    May 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I absolutely love your separation of beauty and style. Both play such a large role in self-image. Style is tangible, giving us a direct experience/opportunity to almost showcase our soul and who we are. The “selfie” culture can seem very materialistic, and I truly appreciated your perspective on the confidence and struggles that come with simply taking one! Your blog has given me inspiration and so much motivation. Your true beauty shines through the screen! Loved this post!

May 16, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it, and that you appreciate the separation of beauty and style here ;)

Joanna
    May 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm

What a beautiful post, Natalie! I love your style posts and I loved hearing the thought behind it. Truthfully, I’ve never really been into clothes or style or hair/makeup but reading your blog has shown me that you can be authentically beautiful and love style/have style. I guess I just didn’t have many role models that showed style in an non-vain way. So thank you for that.

May 16, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh this comment just made my day! Thank you for your kind words and for being a reader!!

Lauren
    May 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

so good.

May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thank you!! (P.S. I love your WEAR posts so much and hope you keep them up—they’re so beautiful and artsy and fun!)

sherrine francis
    May 16, 2014 at 4:27 pm

This might be one of your favourite posts.

I’ve always said that I could never do a style-post because it would mean that I’m vain. But the truth is, the idea that I could/would celebrate this body (ever) is terrifying and liberating all at once.

Thank you for sharing this perspective.

Meg R
    May 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I loved this post so much!!

Recently I got a new job, more money, and I’ve found myself shopping more and more. I’ve felt a little guilty or something spending more time putting outfits together . . .Thank you for writing this post!! Style is not vain – It’s a means to self expression, creativity, and FUN! Love this message!

Christina Kwan
    June 6, 2014 at 7:01 am

This is exactly what has happened to me in putting my own self-image out there too. Recently I’ve been photographing other girls’ style and finding that I have to (and am surprisingly able to) coach them through being their genuine self and not feeling awkward in their skin. It’s funny how, if you just do it enough times, it becomes second-nature. Thanks for articulating this phenomenon so beautifully!

June 12, 2014 at 3:52 am

where can you buy ace diet pills