Thoughts By Natalie
living

A Really Simple Cleaning Secret

As you may already know, I despise cleaning almost as much as I do cooking. I love to keep things tidy, but dusting, sweeping, and actually cleaning surfaces is something I avoid whenever possible. One of the biggest cleaning frustrations since we moved into our house has been our dark laminate wood floors. When clean, they are seriously stunning. But 99.9% of the time, they either have puppy paw prints, hair or dust on them and for a long time it felt impossible to have a clean floor. That is, until a few weeks ago when Brian agreed to a hefty purchase that is making my life much, much easier.

Enter, the iRobot Roomba vacuum.

I’d always thought it was so silly, but now that I own one, I take it quite seriously (okay, it’s still a little silly…but also seriously amazing!). During the day while I’m home writing or resting (or even while I’m out and about), it’s amazing that cleaning can be done so passively. I used to get frustrated when I had sweeping to do or when there was a lot of Maggie’s hair on the floor, but now I very lazily just hit the “clean” button, and patiently wait for a super tidy floor. And now that I don’t have to worry about hair and dust on the floor, I’m way less worried about the little paw prints Maggie leaves behind. (I actually just wipe them up quickly with Murphy Oil Soap Squirt and Mop, and a microfiber pad. Easy peasy.)

So, while I recognize this as a totally unnecessary purchase, I will say that if you are disappointed with how dirty your floors are, have zero time on your hands to clean, or hate to clean, this product works and I’m a fan.

PSA over.

What do you use to make cleaning easier?

You Might Also Like...

Katie
    April 1, 2014 at 7:36 am

1) I agree! I am horrible at actually cleaning, but LOVE the satisfaction of looking at a tidy and clean house after I’ve spent the half day to do it all (half day because we’re housesitting right now, and the house is big, full of all of the owners stuff AND all of our stuff, etc).

2) The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this post was, “Where is that couch from??” … So, where is your couch from Natalie??

3) I had written on FB and asked a question, but then my dad called to let me know that ALL of FB (i.e. my friends and family) could see the post and it’s not something that I want known in my real world yet, so I deleted it. Could I email you? I know you’re busy/exhausted in this current season of life, so I’m wondering if email is the best method for asking you?

Thanks lady love!
    xx
    Katie

Krista Dial
    April 1, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’ve always chuckled at the idea of owning one of those things…but based on what you’re shared, I can totally rationalize the purchase. :) Thanks for sharing your experience, Natalie!

Anndrea
    April 1, 2014 at 9:28 am

I feel your pain about keeping dark floors clean. We recently remodeled our entire 1st floor and put in dark cork flooring, but it looks just like your floor. I never thought it would be so hard to keep clean! I am LOVING the iRobot idea! Ok, might be an odd question, but your microfiber pad, is it on a mop stick or do you do it hand/knees style? I have a microfiber mop pad thing, but it isn’t my favorite. Do you have a brand you recommend? And my last question – how does Maggie like the iRobot? I’m thinking my Lily will be terrified by it, but who knows! Thanks so much! Congratulations on your little one! So exciting!

April 1, 2014 at 11:29 am

Yes, dark floors are beautiful but SO impossible to keep clean. Regarding the microfiber pad, it’s on a mop stick and I actually used to hate it but it’s a lot more effective with the squirt + mop product. Also, Maggie was totally weirded out at first by the iRobot, but now she’s used to it and just watches it scoot around. Good luck with your floor cleaning!! Xo

Linnea
    April 1, 2014 at 11:56 am

We have that same map canvas in our bedroom – love it! We just got a new vacuum this weekend… it was a gift from my in laws – an animal dyson. We don’t have any pets, but my husband says I shed just as much as a dog (probably true!)… and our old one wasn’t picking up my hair at all. It has made cleaning so fun for me because I see such a huge difference (and the dust it picks up… oh my!). Let’s hope this cleaning fun thing is long lasting :)

April 2, 2014 at 8:01 am

That’s awesome! I always wondered if the Dyson vacuums were worth the money, and it sounds like they really are!

Linnea
        April 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I was skeptical at first… but we vacuumed with our old vacuum and then afterward with the dyson and it picked up SO MUCH dust that our old one missed. It could have been an infomercial. I feel like we got new carpets!

Jillb
    April 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

For years I have been telling people that a Roomba is the best way to keep dust down! Because you clean your biggest dust/dirt surface everyday, it keeps the dust down everywhere! I love my Roomba. I just have the very basic model (yes, I actually have to press a button to make it start) works great. I’ve had a few over the years. If you clean out the tray each time and clean out the filter and such regularly, it will last a lot longer. LOVE.

April 2, 2014 at 8:02 am

So glad you’ve had it for a long time and are still loving it. That makes me feel even better about the purchase!! Seriously, it’s unreal how much cleaner the entire house feels when the floor is clean. Amazing!!