14 In style

#AerieREAL

Although I’m not usually one to talk about undergarments, I just can’t ignore the significance of the new campaign Aerie is running to promote their lingerie. No more retouching. No more supermodels. All real looking gals who are so radiant and beautiful in their own skin!

My favorite part of the campaign is that it’s not one of those “real women have curves” things. Because the reality is, not all women do have curves. Some of us have blessed bottoms or and hourglass shape, others have tiny chests and straight figures. Every single body is different, and this campaign definitely celebrates that reality—not just in their ad photos, but also in a helpful way on their site by letting you filter and actually see women wearing your cup size. How cool is that?

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

#AerieREAL // thoughtsbynatalie.com

What do you think of this campaign? Let’s discuss!

Briana Carrion - Life Tales
    February 10, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I absolutely adore this! Real women comes in ALL shapes and sizes! <3

Stephanie Shirley
    February 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm

While I like the idea I still think they are choosing to show real girls who are also in shape. It would be so much more refreshing to see someone who has flaws. It can almost be worse saying that they aren’t photoshopping these girls and they still appear flawless. I like where they are going but I think they could do better.

AshleyL
      February 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I think this the point. I am sure these girls think they have fleas and see them when they look in the mirror but all we see is beautiful women.

Anne Momber
    February 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I love this campaign. I happened across it this weekend and was so excited to see that a brand that markets largely to a younger audience was featuring real young women. Yes, they are fit. Yes, they are gorgeous. But they look like flesh and bone and that was unexpected and wonderful!

February 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

I’m with you, Anne! Obviously the girls are still models, but in an interview I watched a gal from AE’s team said that they specifically selected women who were a variety of sizes and also who normally wouldn’t be cast as lingerie models. I think it’s great!

AshleyL
    February 10, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Love! All the girls look stunning! I hope this is something that other brand will do as well. Eberjey has some real looking women as their models which I love too.

February 12, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Agreed—hope this is a trend that catches on! No more retouching, please :)

Sarah Brooke
    February 11, 2014 at 12:57 am

I was floored when I first heard of this! In a good way of course! I absolutely love it. It’s refreshing to see a brand do this. And honestly I think it’s a good thing to be featuring women that are fit. Fit doesn’t mean that you are perfect but that you are healthy, which is a positive message to be sending to girls. It would be so wonderful if something like this would catch on! Here’s to hoping that it will.

Coley
    February 11, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hi Natalie! This is Coley here… Libby connected us via email a couple weeks ago. I have not gotten the chance to email you yet, but I am definitely planning on it! In short, I love what you are about and I have fallen in love with your blog. You are already an inspiration to me. Second, I love this post!! I had no idea Arie was doing this until I saw this and I couldn’t be more stoked about it. Also, love how you pointed out the fact that not every women has curves and how Arie is focusing on celebrating every body type. LOVE it! Thanks for talking about this :) Talk to you soon!

Chrissy Powers
    February 12, 2014 at 7:21 am

This is genius and so encouraging!

February 12, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Agreed! I feel so much better about my body after looking at these photos—it’s a beautiful reminder that all women are sexy in their own way, and beauty has a million different looks!