10 In beauty/ style

Waves, Waves, Waves

20140129-142533

Is it sad that the first thing I’m compelled to write about since my decision to slow things down a bit has to do with my hair? Regardless, other than Nellie, and perhaps what’s for dinner, it’s admittedly something I think about a lot, so here goes…

Every once in a while, I blow dry my hair straight and realize immediately that my hair really only works one way when it’s down: soft and wavy. I shouldn’t be surprised—after all, that’s the way I’ve asked my stylist to specifically cut my hair. It’s the way I feel most like myself, and it’s also my strategy for creating volume in my otherwise super-fine and very flat head of hair.

Over the years I’ve experimented with all kinds of techniques for achieving the perfect waves: hot rollers, large-barrel curling iron, velcro rollers, and the tapered curling wand I’ve been using as of late. But since my hair is actually incredibly long (something I somehow managed to barely notice until recently), I decided to ditch the tapered wand and try something that could create slightly looser waves that looked more natural.

Enter the teardrop curling wand.

20140129-142546.jpg

What is this, you ask? Well, I honestly had never heard of it until I was wandering the aisles of my local Target, spotted it, and decided to take it home for a whirl. The theory is that the unique shape of the barrel creates a more natural-looking, s-shaped wave (as opposed to a circular, curling-iron looking wave), and I have to say that I was really pleased with the result! I got a ton of volume (a must for me) and liked that the actual curls were a bit looser than with the tapered wand, making it look more natural on my long hair.

These are the products I used to achieve the look shown above. If you’re not sure how to use a curling wand, check out Libby’s awesome video, “How to Use a Curling Rod,” first.

20140129-142555.jpg

Bumble and Bumble Styling Lotion. Lubricates, detangles, and gradually strengthens the hair. It gives hair soft, natural movement, light structure, and protects is from heat styling. I spritz it on lightly before curling.

Suave Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo. So far, this is my all-time favorite dry shampoo (and I’ve tested a lot of them!). I like that it’s a spray rather than a powder, and also the fact that it’s $3. Apply it to roots, brush it out a bit, and tease strategically for added volume.

Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Moroccan Argan Styling Oil. With colored hair this long, you better believe my ends are dry! This oil smells amazing and does wonders for sad ends that need some moisture. I apply it after I’ve curled my hair, then lightly brush the ends for a soft finish.

Hairspray. Shown in the picture is GHD Ultimate Hairspray, which I’m using lately since I received it as a gift. That being said, I say use whatever you have around and what works with your type of hair. Other favorites of mine are Elnett and TRESemme 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray.

Christina
    January 31, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Thank you Natalie so much for sharing this with us! I’ve been wanting a wavy hair style that gives volume but is not too curly. I too have long hair and I purchased, last year, a more expensive curling rod, which I love, but it always seems to give me a much more tight curl look. For an everyday style, I don’t always want to be so done up but just some nice volume and loose waves. I was headed to target so I decided to try the tear drop curling wand (which was on sale!) and I’ve already used it. I love it! Nice loose waves and more of a natural, beachy look. I also tried the dry shampoo because the kind I love from Oscar Blandi is being discontinued and I’ve tried so many, not finding another one I love. Considering it was $2-3 is such a bonus! Thank you so much, great post!

February 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

So glad you tried the curling iron and the dry shampoo!! And of course, glad you liked them both :)

Elizabeth
    February 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

Thanks for sharing! Intrigued by the teardrop curling iron… I’ll need to swing by Target and check it out.

AshleyL
    February 4, 2014 at 7:07 am

Bumble and bumble sea salt spray is great for waves too.

February 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Oh yes, I love their surf spray! Feels the most authentically beachy.

Bethany
    February 12, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I confess. I read this post and just immediately went to Target. I’ve been trying to do a similar look with my old clamp iron but it was hit and miss. So I couldn’t pass this up. Let me just say I LOVE IT so much. It does everything I’ve ever tried to do with my hair and its really so quick. I was worried that it was a wand cause honestly I’ve had no luck with them before. Thank goodness it was so easy! My only issue is it’s been giving me a sort of crimped bit at the top like they say old irons give (which I’ve never had an issue before) but it’s not a big issue. Great recommendation! I also feel more like myself with wavy hair (though I do straighten it sometimes cause the boyfriend likes it that way :D).

Rebecca Kearns
    February 17, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Natalie! If you remember from Instagram I went to Target right away to pick up the teardrop wand. Unfortunately, my local Target didn’t have it so I ordered it online. I’ve tried it out 3 different times now and I am having a hard time with getting smooth waves without a little kink from the teardrop shape. I am used to using a wand (tapered, though) so I’m sure of my technique. I’ve tried not pulling my hair so tightly across the wand, but I’m still getting some kinked results. I have just used a straightener to smooth the top portion across the kink, but I’m sure there’s just something I’m missing. I love that the barrel is the same all the way down and not tapered, but I’m just not figuring out the teardrop shape! Please help :)

XOXO,
    Rebecca

February 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Oh no! Sorry it hasn’t been as ideal for you :( It sounds like maybe this might not be the right shape for you—the slight “kink” (which really should be more like an s-curve) is what makes the waves look natural, versus like curling iron waves. That being said, I’d recommend this curling iron for you instead (a happy medium!): http://bit.ly/1bGMx9r