Sunday Sessions: Let Your Light Shine

This morning, I have something incredibly simple for you. Sometimes less complicated is better, don’t you think? I recently rediscovered a quote that largely encapsulates my view on life (and a lot of the heart behind Nellie). It’s beautiful and true and significant in so many ways. So much so, I want to print it off, frame it, and make myself read it each morning.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

What quote or quotes encapsulate your views on life?

Photo by Philipp Reiner

Christina
    January 19, 2014 at 6:51 am

Thank you Natalie! This is a beautiful quote and just what I needed to read to start my Sunday off right. I too believe I need to print this off and read it to myself everyday. It is so great! I also wanted to say I have been following your blog for a few months now, as well as Nellie magazine. You do a phenomenal job! I look forward to reading it each and everyday while trying to make myself the best person God sent me to be. I truly love it!

Alyse
    January 19, 2014 at 7:30 am

Wow!! I needed this today!! What a great quote

Michelle
    January 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Love this. Reminds me of Philippians 2:15-16,
    “Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life.”

elizabeth
    January 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm

i love this quote!! it is one of my favorites and always reminds me of Matthew 5:16!

Avery @ Some Blissful Thinking
    January 20, 2014 at 1:43 pm

This quote is so, so beautiful and really resonated with me. As a recent college grad, I find myself nervous of taking big risks in the career world or going out on a limb and starting a project I have been wanting to. I seem to make excuses for myself, thinking “I have time” or “I’m not old enough”. Thank you for sharing this quote and the inspiration to live out all of the gifts and talents we have been so blessed with.

Katie
    January 20, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Such a great quote! I heard it for the first time in the movie “Coach Carter” – it stuck with me too.

Jessaca
    January 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I need a quote! Good idea!

Elisabeth
    January 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Did you? Print it off, that is… It really is beautiful. Even just the line “Playing small does not serve the world” is a really nice reminder to be bright.

Jessica
    January 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm

beautiful! “there are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open our ability to love others or our potential to create.” -John Lennon
    This post reminded me of this quote! It’s not my entire view on life but it’s a great concept and an important one!

Kimberly Amack
    January 21, 2014 at 7:34 am

Great quote! Just sent this blogpost to a bunch of my gf’s :)