21 In beauty/ style

5-Minute Makeup

I like to keep my makeup super simple. Though I spent several years of my adult life totally makeup-free, enjoying the freedom and vulnerability of showing my God-given face to the world, over the past I’ve embraced a super simple daily routine that makes me feel polished and still very natural, but doesn’t take more than 5 minutes from start to finish.

This is my quick morning routine, plus the products I’m majorly loyal to at the moment…

BROWS
Last year I became majorly obsessed with the strong brow. If I do nothing else at all, I do this. On my face, it definitely makes the most impact, but still looks natural and clean. Since I have sensitive skin, I had to try several product before finding something that didn’t trigger my eczema, and am super pleased with Sonia Kashuk. It’s affordable, and non-irritating, which is super awesome. Not sure how to do your brows or use these products? Lucky for you, I did a tutorial. You’re welcome :)

PRODUCTS: Sonia Kashuk Brow Definer in Taupe / Sonia Kashuk Tinted Brow Gel / Spoolie Brush

FACE
For a natural glow, I love to swipe on a little bronzer/blush mix on my cheeks (this is especially helpful during the winter, when I have less of a sun-kissed look on my own). Also, for days when I have eczema on my face, or any other kind of blemish, I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup for light coverage.

PRODUCTS: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzer / E.L.F. Kabuki Face Brush / Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 20

EYES
I keep it super simple on the eyes—especially since I go big on the brows. I start by curling my eyelashes (using this method), then swiping on natural, paraben-free mascara in brown so that it looks really natural with my lighter coloring and olive-toned skin (black mascara looks a bit harsh on me, I’ve found). Once the mascara is on, I wait a few seconds for it to dry, then quickly apply a slightly shimmery neutral tone to my lids for dimension.

PRODUCTS: Revlon Extra Curl Eyelash Curler / Pixi Large Lash Mascara in Best Brown / MAC Eyeshadow in Woodwinked

What does your daily makeup routine look like? How long do you usually spend? Which products can you not live without right now?

Top image via Sonia Kashuk

Kristie Christie
    January 8, 2014 at 6:47 am

I keep it simple too: bare minerals, MAC blush, tinted lip gloss, MAC: paint pot in Bare Study, tempting shaddow on the lid, sweet satisfaction as a blend/highlight almost up to my brow, sometimes a little “lord over me” pencil as a liner. Black mascara (I don’t have a brand, really) and of course the brows, MAC brown down.

I used to wear colors, but after watching Carmondy on What Not To Wear, I wanted to create this natural look, but like you said, still polished. I lived with a MAC makeup artist at the time…so that was handy (and oh so fun!!)

I’m going to try your brow regimen. I still spend the cash to have them done…but only by two people. I’m so picky!!! Brows change EVERYTHING.

January 8, 2014 at 7:40 am

How fun that you lived with a MAC makeup artist!! Let me know if you try my brow strategy—if your brows are already shaped, it’s SUPER easy to fill them in and create really strong, healthy looking brows. I feel like it totally changes me bone structure (probably imagining that, but still, haha). There’s something so youthful and fresh about big brows, don’t you think?

Lauren
    January 8, 2014 at 7:46 am

Simple is stress free. I used to take so much time doing my makeup-and my makeup didn’t even look heavy, I was just doing all of the wrong things and taking way too much time being a perfectionist about covering blemishes. I love that now, my makeup routine is something that can translate over to something I can still do, let’s say, when I’m out in the woods camping, or quickly in the car after a swim, or with the lights off in a sense. ha. I’ve been needing a new bronzer that is more sun kissed and less “orange bronze” since I”m trying to go a bit more natural with my fair skin–would you recommend that neutrogena bronzer/blush palette as being a bit more subtle for a fair faced girl like me?

January 8, 2014 at 7:55 am

Yes, the Neutrogena bronzer/blush is awesome and I think would work for your fair skin, too, since it has the blush mixed in. Don’t want that orangey bronzer look going on, haha.

Hannah
    January 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Love your simple approach! I too, don’t like spending a ton of time in front of the mirror in the morning. I might have to try your brows idea.. I’ve never touched mine (gasp!) probably terrible. They could probably use a little TLC, haha. Also excited to look for the Neutrogena blush/bronzer. Love your helpful tips! :)

January 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Oh yes, give the brows a try! Also, I think you’re going to love the bronzer/blush!

laura @ Write About It
    January 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I usually spend about 5 minutes on my make-up as well. My routine includes a light coverup, bronzer, curled eyelashes, and mascara. But after watching your tutorial on bold brows I’ve been experimenting with that too! I like to keep it simple. I must say though, you have absolutely gorgeous skin. You’re always glowing!

January 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Thank you! I get my skin from my mom—at 60, hers is still flawless and radiant! Thankful for good genes, haha.

Courtney Sloey
    January 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for these really helpful natural tips natalie! I think your makeup looks great and I definitely try to go for the natural look too, so I really enjoyed this post. Do you have any skin care suggestion as well, if I also have really sensitive skin? There’s so many choices out there.

January 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm

You’re welcome! As far as skin care, for me less is more. At night, I remove eye makeup, wipe my face with a washcloth and water (no face wash), then moisturize with coconut oil. In the morning, I wipe my face again with water and a wash cloth, and then apply sunscreen (this is my favorite: http://bit.ly/1giCzcb). Hope that’s helpful!

Jessaca
    January 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Right now I’m really into my smoky eye kit (maybelline I think). I use it more as eyeliner then the full on smoky eye. I have tiny eyes, so I feel like I need to make my eyes up a bit.

January 9, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Awesome! I definitely cannot pull of a smokey eye—I look like I broke into my mom’s makeup case or something, haha. I’m impressed!!

Jessaca
        January 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm

To say smoky eye doesn’t accurately describe how I use it. I’m a girl with bad undereye circles, so I tend to go less is more and just use it more as a smudge kit versus using an eyeliner pencil. I look forward to more of your tutorials to make me more brave {and pretty}.

Ali Grace
    January 9, 2014 at 11:56 am

Love this! I’m all about a quick/natural approach to makeup. I’ve never tried the Sonia Kashuk products before, but now I definitely will. Thanks!

January 9, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Oh I sooooo recommend them! They’re not too expensive and they’re really good! I love anything I can get at Target, haha.

Katie
    January 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Natalie, this is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing. Any tips on what makeup brushes to use and how to clean them? Also, what do you use at night to wash makeup off your skin?

January 9, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I use a little kabuki brush, and then just a basic eyeshadow brush for my eyes—since I only use one neutral color, I don’t get technical or anything. To clean them, I use this spray: http://bit.ly/1bXkADC

At night, I wipe off my eye makeup by wetting a cotton square slightly with warm water, then taking a nickel-sized dollop of coconut oil and put it on the damp pad. Natural makeup remover! Then I just wipe down my face with water on a wash cloth, and follow up with coconut oil as a moisturizer.

AshleyL
    January 11, 2014 at 7:38 am

Bb cream, cream blush brows and mascara. Sometimes I add liquid eyeliner to define my eyes but now always. Oh and then I finish with my honest Chapstick. Fancy!

Jessica
    January 14, 2014 at 10:05 am

I tend to stick with a simple swipe of bare minerals pressed powder and benefit ‘they’re real’ mascara for my daily routine. I sometimes use an eye liner brush and line my eyes with Sephora shimmery eye shadows in bronzes or silvers. and then I sometimes do a matte red lip with the sonia kashuk lip crayon :)

Anonymous
    January 31, 2014 at 12:02 am

What types of shampoo and conditioner do you use?

February 3, 2014 at 11:05 am

Oh gosh, it’s always changing! I’ll try anything that’s paraben-free and smells good :)