16 In Uncategorized

Life Rule: Don’t Wear Pants That Hurt

DSCN1171-620x826

I recently made a new life rule that has me feeling happy (and significantly more comfortable): don’t wear pants that hurt.

We all have those too-tight and too-small pants we attempt to squeeze ourselves into, yet they aren’t really doing us any favors. Likely, they aren’t as flattering as we imagine. But more importantly, they are really uncomfortable, causing us to think more about what we’re wearing (and how it’s cutting into our bodies) than the people we’re talking to or the activities we’re doing.

The decision to implement this rule in my life came shortly after purchasing my Minnie pants from J.Crew. I just couldn’t get over how comfortable they were, and I found myself wanting to wear them constantly. On top of that, they look super put-together and make me feel great. Isn’t that how all clothes should feel?

Clothing is both a covering and an expression of self. It should not be a torture device, nor an enemy. If our pants make us feel less-than, uncomfortable, unattractive or overly-fidgeting, I want to encourage all of us to replace them with just the opposite—even if that means a bigger size or a whole lot more stretch in the fabric.

Do you wear pants that hurt? Why do you hang onto them? What’s scary about replacing them with a more comfortable pair?

Susan Horne
    October 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks to you, Natalie, I don’t have any more of those pants that “hurt”. I gave them all to charity and I hope someone will find a comfortable fit with them – YEAH!

October 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

Yes! I’m so glad I could help you with that when I was visiting home :) Yay for comfy pants that make you feel good!

Gina
    October 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

I couldn’t agree with you more!! I don’t wear pants that hurt, in fact…i’m more likely to size up than anything else. An effortlessly chic look requires that we are comfortable and not fidgety.

Great post, my friend!
    XO, Gina

October 29, 2013 at 11:39 am

“An effortlessly chic look requires that we are comfortable and not fidgety.”—totally agree!!

Rene @thedomesticlady
    October 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

I made that rule about shoes a while ago. I am so cranky when I wear cute shoes (that hurt!).

Megan @ Lush to Blush
    October 29, 2013 at 11:26 am

I love this! It is something that seems like it should be common sense, yet most people DO wear clothes that hurt! What a great post. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Stephanie May
    October 29, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love this. I swear a pair of pants had me in a bad mood all day last weekend. They squeezed in all the wrong places, and I couldn’t focus on anything until I switched into something comfier. Cheers to comfier pants!

Katie McC
    October 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I have given away all of my pants that don’t fit! My BFF who is petite and smaller than I am is now a new owner of a nice pair of jeans that never really fit me great in the first place. I have slowly started a new pants collection with my favorites so far from Gap and LOFT!

Jenny
    October 29, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Haha I love this! I literally just went through all my clothes and gave all my pants that don’t fit comfortably- my new rule was: Stop buying pants that hurt!

Shio W.
    October 29, 2013 at 11:33 pm

You are totally right!! I cannot stand not being comfy when I choose my outfits! I think that is why I live in my leggings!!