16 In style

Get The Look: Skinnies + Booties

gtl-skinnies-booties

My style favorites are always the basics. A good pair of jeans. A neutral sweater. A white shirt. This look is basically a combo of several classic pieces in my wardrobe that always seem to work.

I put this together for a morning meeting yesterday with a dear friend. It felt like just enough fall fashion, without being overwhelming since it’s still fairly warm here in San Diego. It’s an easy go-to look for casual work environments, coffee dates or date nights.

Quite honestly, it’s looks like this that make me want to ditch my entire wardrobe and cycle through just a few key pieces. Wouldn’t getting dressed be so much easier that way?

TOP: J.Crew Factory // SWEATER: J.Crew, old (similar) // WATCH: Timex // JEANS: American Eagle // BOOTIES: Urban Outfitters, old (similar & similar)

What are your go-to style classics? Do you tend to like having a big wardrobe for variety, or a small one for simplicity?

P.S. Apologies for all the style selfies—over time, I’m going to be striving to have Brian snap more photos for style posts like these. Thanks for being patient :)

lina
    September 27, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Natalie,

are these AE denim that you are wearing? the wash looks different though..

September 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Yep, they’re AE! The wash may be slightly different, as I bought mine a year or two ago. But the ones I linked to are the closest to the wash I have!

Amanda
    September 27, 2013 at 11:54 am

I also gravitate towards neutrals but lately I’ve been trying to add some more color to my closet. I tend to keep a small wardrobe because it does make it easier to put together looks, I would recommend it to anyone! Non-related, I have the same duvet cover! Love the pintuck :)

P.S I like the style selfies, makes it feel real.

Jacki
    September 27, 2013 at 11:57 am

“it’s looks like this that make me want to ditch my entire wardrobe and cycle through just a few key pieces. Wouldn’t getting dressed be so much easier that way?” – YES, and honestly, this is pretty much how I dress lately. It’s so cute and SO much easier. My office is casual enough that I can get away with slightly dressed-up skinnies on a daily basis. What I need to do next is pare down my wardrobe accordingly because I still own way too much clothing that I’m no longer wearing. Love the new site, btw – welcome to wordpress :)

September 27, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Jacki! And yes, I agree, I have way too much clothing that I don’t really wear or love. Thinking about doing a little sale through the blog/Instagram soon ;)

Brian
    September 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’m sorry I’ve failed at my photographer duties lately :]

Brian > Selfies

Katie McC
    September 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I am such a sucker for plain white tee’s! Their so easy to pair with everything! I could live off of tees and shorts combos. It’s the days that I’m most comfortable that I feel more like myself. But dressing up sometimes is fun to. =)

Maritza
    September 29, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I have to say AE Jeggings are ridiculously comfy and I love the way you styled your outfit!!

Gina
    October 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Great outfit as always! I love American Eagle jeans…they are fabulous for the price.
    I love your style so I will be looking forward to seeing more outfit posts. I don’t mind the selfies at all:)

XO, Gina

October 2, 2013 at 10:08 am

Agreed—the price point on the AE denim is amazing. I’m glad to here the selfies aren’t off-putting—because that’s definitely the easiest way to do a style post!

Gina
        October 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I know! it really is the easiest way. I foresee more selfies for me in the future…and more lifestyle posts. it is hard to coordinate the photo shoots all the time:)
        Your blog is fabulous no matter what you post!
        XO, Gina

liz
    November 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hi, just curious how long ago you purchased this jacket? its very cute. :-)