On Thursday I posted a photo of our dinner that got such a positive response on Facebook and Instagram, I knew I needed to share the recipe here! The hilarious thing is that we threw this together with whatever we had left in the fridge and pantry—since Christmas is just around the corner and we’ll be traveling, we didn’t even grocery shop this week!
It’s hearty, it’s vegan, and I assure you, is really easy to make…
Pasta with Kale and Vegan Sausage
An original Borton family recipe
1 lb bag of whole wheat fusilli pasta
1 small jar vegan red sauce of choice (we love Trader Joe’s brand)
2-3 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant
1-2 Tofurkey Italian Sausages, sliced
Lots of lacinto kale (we used a whole bag of pre-cut kale from Trader Joe’s)
- Start by steaming the kale on the stovetop and boiling a pot of water for your pasta.
- When the pasta water is ready, drop in the fusilli and cook for the instructed amount of time (usually around 9 minutes).
- Heat up a skillet with some olive oil and put the sliced sausage pieces in there to warm and begin browning a little. Meanwhile, pour your sauce into a saucepan and mix in the Roasted Red Pepper Spread while it’s heating up (this adds more depth to traditional pasta sauce—it’s optional, but worth it if you live near Trader Joe’s!).
- Once the sausage is browned a little, remove it from the heat.
- When the pasta is ready to go, drain it and put it back in the pot you cooked it in. Stir in the heated sauce mixture, then the kale and the sausage. Mix it all up, season with salt & pepper as desired and serve hot.