I seem to be having a good week on Glitter Guide! I picked these looks for them, but today I want to share them here with you.
With fall in full effect and winter rapidly approaching, I’m a big fan of layers—a super easy and oh-so-chic way to stay warm in the chilly weather. Mixing the colors, patterns, and textures of different items in the closet can make a wardrobe feel brand new. The key to smart layering is being mindful of balance—if your top has several layers and a scarf, stick to slim bottoms (and vice versa). Vests, scarves, sweaters, and jewelry all play big roles in the layering game.
These are my favorite looks for the season, plus several links at the bottom of the post for where you can buy items to create your own original layered look…
1. Take a light blouse into cooler weather by layering a turtleneck underneath. Add a vest on top—a simple way to add texture and keep warm without being overly bundled. This is such a fun look for winter—especially with the focus on classic red, white, and black. Balance the look with a simple pair of black leggings or skinnies. (image)
2. Olivia Palermo makes layering look effortless with this simple look. To mimic this ensemble, pair your favorite skinny jeans with a chambray top and a short-sleeve poncho. Keep it casual with a pair of flats. (image)
3. Kendi’s outfit just screams the holidays! The sparkly necklace pops on top of the simple, monochromatic black base layers, and we love the way the faux fur jacket adds an extra dose of intrigue. (image)
4. Blair’s layering is the epitome of casual-chic. The boyfriend jeans, button-down, and sweater keep the look grounded, while the pumps and boldly patterned coat add some serious flair. (image)
5. Pattern play is all the rage these days. Try mixing small dots and big dots (like Christine did here), or big stripes with little stripes. A sweater layered over a button-down is one of the easiest formulas for layering, and comes together nicely with a blazer and skinnies for a very polished—rather than sloppy—layered look. (image)
6. Mary makes cold weather look fabulous with this black and white mix. As the weather cools down, you can keep your skirts in rotation by pairing them with tights, booties, and a cozy sweater layered over a simple blouse. (image)
Want to copy one of the looks above—or create your own original? Try incorporating some of these items when layering this season (use arrows to scroll through)…
Are you a fan of layering? Which look is your favorite?
Top image via Glitter Guide