neighborly love

For the first time since living in an apartment, I have gotten to know my neighbors. I’m not talking about just knowing their names, but actually, truly becoming friends with them. It’s such a joy to hear a knock and the door and know it’s a neighbor, not the UPS guy (unless it’s a J.Crew delivery, of course).

I love crossing the hall to sip tea with a new friend, and chatting at the bottom of the steps about how the week is going. I love that Maggie has actual dog friends, and that the people who live here actually can look past her crazy energy spurts and delight in her puppy-hood.

While I know that love your neighbor as yourself is really a challenge to love those who are difficult to love, I’m so thankful that my real life neighbors are just so easy to love as they are. I know we won’t be living in this apartment complex much forever, but I am so glad I’ve made real friends that I’ll be keeping in touch with even when we no longer share the same building number.

Have you ever made friends with your neighbors? I’d love to hear about your experience!

Image via Matchbook Magazine

Keep in touch! Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest

Robyn
    November 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That is so nice. one of my best friends is my neighbours.

Jacki
    November 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

That’s so great! I’m happy for you … and Maggie :)

I’ve had a hard time meeting, let alone bonding with, my neighbors. I don’t live in an apartment bldg, but the houses in my neighborhood are very close together. Most of my neighbors are retired. The family next door has two young children who like to play with my boyfriend’s son and frequently run wild through my yard and onto my deck, but their mom absolutely will not speak to me no matter how many times I attempt to strike up a conversation with her! :( I’m hoping she will warm up eventually. The kids have fun together, but I’d like to be able to chat with her on a social level and on a “how do we control this chaos” level.

November 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Jacki!

That’s such a bummer about your neighborhood! I imagine that’s immensely frustrating, especially since it sounds like you’d love to have a good relationship with the people you live near. Praying that her heart will change and that your neighborhood will experience more neighborly love soon :)

Kelly Fitzgerald
    November 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I should start out by saying I love this post….

I grew up very typically in the suburbs. It was wonderful. I rode bikes with my friends, walked to our neighborhood pool, and generally had a great time. When I began my search for my own house about 4 1/2 years ago I started with what was familiar in, you guessed it, the suburbs. But nothing ever felt right. After many weeks of searching and one frustrated realtor, fate smiled on me and I found my house. I love older homes and was absolutely thrilled to find my perfect little place in the Church Hill neighborhood of Richmond, VA. Here’s some more info about Church Hill http://www.churchhill.org/.

I would have bought my house regardless, but one thing absolutely sealed the deal…my neighbors. As soon as we pulled up three different people came bounding out of their doors to welcome me and tell me what a fabulous neighborhood it was. Why is this surprising? Because I, like a lot of people, had a pre-conceived notion about living in “the city”. I was sure people would keep to themselves and have a toughness about them. I could not have been more wrong. I have never met a more generous and open group of people in my life. We come from different backgrounds, countries, and ethnicities but we all personify the word “community”.

I feel lucky every day to live where I do and now I have the privilege of welcoming new people and telling them what a wonderful neighborhood we have.
    Best,
    Kelly

November 8, 2012 at 1:05 am

Your neighborhood sounds lovely!! I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found such a wonderful community of diverse people—what a blessing that is.

NatalieMcC
    November 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I just stumbled upon this blog…via Pinterest and braids…but this really hit home. (no pun intended swear!) Just a year into our marriage as of last month and we had purchased a house in San Antonio. I was in love with the house, the yard, the neighborhood had potential of friends being had…and then the husband got a job offer he/we couldn’t refuse in Fort Worth. We married and moved in the same weekend and sold the house a few months later. I miss the feeling of being able to walk to the mailbox and wave at the family practicing basketball with the kids, or the elderly swinging together…we’ll have that again and soon I hope. Lucky you Natalie!! (ps got a great name!)

November 8, 2012 at 1:07 am

So glad you found the blog! I hope you find that good neighborhood feel again soon :)

Shelley Paige
    November 8, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hi Natalie.

Still thinking of after your weekend and last night….

Proverbs 31:25

November 8, 2012 at 3:33 am

Thanks Shelley—such a powerful scripture that is and something we all can continue to strive for!

Emma
    November 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I began a friendship with my neighbour, but then she started having an affair with my brother. My neighbour’s a married mother of one, my brother’s single. She’s now divorcing her husband, citing HIS unreasonable behaviour! It’s all become rather awkward.

Megan
    November 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Where did you find your striped shirt? Super cute!